Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction
Introduction
So, it's been implied to me on numerous threads that unless I introduce myself I will continue to be insulted, regardless of the fact that all I'm trying to do is having a respectful, honest conversation about things that I've been finding when exploring many different sciences.

Doesn't seem to be a great way to have a community, but whatever... I understand, from a psychological perspective, that it's extremely easy to be an asshole to other people when you have nothing but a screen to interact with.

With no further delay, I am an agnostic 32 yo female (most people keep referring to me as a "he"...why is that?). I have a MA in Psychology and I'm a licensed clinician. I have been studying "consciousness" in it's many aspects for over 10 years. I am fascinated by psychoneuroimmunology (referring to such things as placebo effect and miracle-type healings), hypnosis, and psychiatric and behavioral genetics. I specialize in working with addicts and trauma victims and, in particular, I'm currently interested in how "spiritual experience" (including psychedelic experiences with ayahuasca and ibogaine) have resulted in statistically high recovery rates for people with these issues.

To go further, I was raised by Christian fundamentalists and realized at a young age that I didn't buy any of the doctrine that was being fed to me. At that point, I engaged in comparative religious study, exploring what other belief systems had to say about the nature of reality, conscious experience, etc. Although I found some of it interesting, there was nothing that answered my questions. In grad school I was lucky enough to be in a program that allowed me to design my own curriculum (with guidance of mentors) and I focused on trying to understand consciousness from a scientific perspective. I explored many fields of study through this process including neuropsychology, psychoneuroimmunology, energy psychology, psychiatric and behavioral genetics (focusing in epigenetics), quantum physics, astrophysics, vibrational medicine, basically anything I could possibly explore that would give me a better understanding of consciousness that didn't involve "god" and "the soul". I finished grad school 3 years ago, but I never stopped my explorations as it seems that every day something new is revealed that conflicts with something that was was "known" to science prior and often it is mind-blowing stuff.

I currently label myself agnostic (although I generally hate labels), but I do so to acknowledge that, as a result of my studies, I'm not sure what opinion to form regarding the nature of reality, whether there is intelligence to it's design, and whether there is an influencing intelligence. A lot of what I've explored leads to me think there is a possibility, but I have no intention of claiming I am aware of all the variables or the "truth".

I have come here to discuss the things I've been exploring and the thoughts that have resulted from my explorations with others who I assume to have more confidence in their own perspective than I do (atheism- "no god"- right?). I'm interested in getting feedback that is convincing enough to sway my own perspective, but I understand that I may not be realistic in assuming this could happen.

I wish I could say it's nice to meet all of you, but honestly, I don't think there has been a single responder to anything I posted that was even the slightest bit respectful. Everyone immediately jumped to attacking my intelligence, making accusations that I was trolling, shaming me for, they claim, misunderstanding and making claims about atheist perspective (straw man), and making me feel generally unwelcome.

Well thanks, you've been less than helpful. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't that.
RE: Introduction
You've been telling us what 'we' as atheists believe and insisting that we kowtow to your narrow understanding and belief.

I don't mind if you've got a persecution complex, but telling us what we believe and then systematically knocking it down is actually insulting to those who you're trying to talk to.

How would you like it if someone just made up what you (don't) believe in and carried on touting that as factual when they hadn't even bothered to ask you what it was you actually (didnt) believe? I find it hard to believe someone with apparently so much education would fail to understand this. You also need to recognise and understand that when you combine the above with the fact you didn't introduce yourself and started thread after thread immediately after registering it marks you at as a troll. If you've been on the internet, anywhere, you'd understand this.

Meh. Whatever.Welcome to the forum all the same. You'll find you're given as much respect as is due; that is to say respect has to be gained and is not automatically given. g'day.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(September 11, 2014 at 4:44 pm)sswhateverlove Wrote: I wish I could say it's nice to meet all of you, but honestly, I don't think there has been a single responder to anything I posted that was even the slightest bit respectful.
Really? Not even the slightest bit respectful?
Quote:Doesn't seem to be a great way to have a community, but whatever.
Well... how respectful of you.
Welcome aboard. I see you've been getting around and enjoying yourself, so... keep at it!
See you around!
I'm getting kind of tired of posting in green today. Sigh.

Mod hat on:

Everyone please respect the Intro forum rules. Thank you.

/Mod Hat
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Welcome. I'll ignore your first two paragraphs in the interest of keeping your intro thread pleasant.

As far as people assuming you're male, I'm afraid that's stereotyping, and if I've been guilty of that particular faux pas, I apologize. I think we expect a woman to have a little more savvy when it comes to social dynamics.

Congratulations on your accomplishments.

Sounds like you've been engaging in interesting research, though I consider some of that stuff to be woo. What you consider contradictions to known science, I consider new information that advances science.

I'm agnostic as well, I've just realized that in addition to not believing it's possible to know if certain versions of God may exist, I don't believe they do. But, I could be wrong about that. If I am, I would love to find out.

Thanks for accepting our understanding of the label applied to us. I was beginning to wonder. Some of the hostility you've been getting isn't really your fault, but the fault of many, many visitors before you who were trolls and insisted to the bitter end that we are all sure there couldn't possibly be any God. Over the years, the amount of slack given newcomers who sound like that has decreased.

And I'll ignore your last paragraph too, and imagine what you might have written had you introduced yourself without so much prompting being necessary.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Welcome

In your clinical role, do you offer "spiritual" counseling or non? I recently looked up some interviews with Sinead O'Connor and was interested in her take on that. It's something that I felt strongly when I had counseling... that the clinicians were strictly non spiritual. I was atheist at the time by the way.
Welcome And I mean that sincerely! Smile Getting off on the wrong foot is hard to overcome, but I really think we can do it. You'll come to find our overprotection of our community endearing from here on out. Especially when you see some of the trolls we face. And you might even laugh when you see how similar their tactics are to what you innocently presented when you joined.

I really hope you enjoy it from here on out. To new beginnings!
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Indeed, I was rather hard headed myself when it came to Atheism myself...I doubt anyone here remembers. But I was still hung on the idea of it being a "non-belief". I am agnostic myself, so no worries mate just move on....I pretty sure I am annoying at times too. (Even though most of my mistakes are misunderstandings since I am perfect and all)
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
We'll mould you into a good AF atheist, don't worry. Please now put on your goggles and put your head down into the shit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction Veni 5 734 July 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Introduction Data 9 972 June 19, 2022 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  A (re)-introduction bennyboy 10 1955 June 11, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Introduction Disagreeable 15 1413 January 25, 2022 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  atheists - edit to add Introduction ergo 60 3983 November 28, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Here is My Introduction AtheistQuest 23 2270 August 25, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The End8888 Introduction UniverseCaptain 29 2006 August 12, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A little introduction satansprostate 16 1164 June 24, 2021 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 978 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  introduction Xaventis 29 2902 August 9, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2