Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Force to allow the omission of "So help me God" from enlistment oath
Air Force to allow the omission of "So help me God" from enlistment oath
Quote:The Air Force has instructed force support offices across the service to allow both enlisted members and officers to omit the words "So help me God" from enlistment and officer appointment oaths if an Airman chooses.

In response to concerns raised by Airmen, the Department of the Air Force requested an opinion from the Department of Defense General Counsel addressing the legal parameters of the oath. The resulting opinion concluded that an individual may strike or omit the words "So help me God" from an enlistment or appointment oath if preferred.

"We take any instance in which Airmen report concerns regarding religious freedom seriously," said Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James. “We are making the appropriate adjustments to ensure our Airmen's rights are protected.”

The Air Force will be updating the instructions for both enlisted and commissioned Airmen to reflect these changes in the coming weeks, but the policy change is effective now. Airmen who choose to omit the words 'So help me God' from enlistment and officer appointment oaths may do so.

Source

Sensible decision. There was a bit of a controversy regarding this some days ago when someone crossed out the words while signing the oath.
RE: Air Force to allow the omission of "So help me God" from enlistment oath
I am my own God so it wouldn't bother me to say it.
Pat Robertson losing his fucking mind about it!

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/pat-r...-they-fly/

Quote:TV preacher Pat Robertson lashed out at a “Jewish radical” on Thursday who he said was responsible for God being removed from the Air Force oath.

The Air Force announced on Thursday that the words “so help me God” were an optional part of the oath after an atheist airman crossed out the words on his reenlistment paperwork. Military officials had initially refused to accept the paperwork, but Department of Defense General Counsel eventually ruled that the words could be omitted.

Although the American Humanist Association had represented the airman, Robertson on Thursday blamed Military Religious Freedom Foundation President Mikey Weinstein for the movement against religion in the armed services.

Work yourself up into a stroke and die, fuckface.
(September 18, 2014 at 3:52 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Pat Robertson losing his fucking mind about it!

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/pat-r...-they-fly/

Quote:TV preacher Pat Robertson lashed out at a “Jewish radical” on Thursday who he said was responsible for God being removed from the Air Force oath.

The Air Force announced on Thursday that the words “so help me God” were an optional part of the oath after an atheist airman crossed out the words on his reenlistment paperwork. Military officials had initially refused to accept the paperwork, but Department of Defense General Counsel eventually ruled that the words could be omitted.

Although the American Humanist Association had represented the airman, Robertson on Thursday blamed Military Religious Freedom Foundation President Mikey Weinstein for the movement against religion in the armed services.

Work yourself up into a stroke and die, fuckface.

My favorite part of that was when he freaks out with "How can they fly?!"

..With physics, Pat..
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Excellent decision.

The cons are freaking already, huh?
Dying to live, living to die.
Someone needs to start a Pat meme with the "How can they fly?" quote like...yesterday.

Poor Pat feeling so terrorized because he can't force his beliefs on the little guy.
(September 18, 2014 at 4:28 pm)Dolorian Wrote: Some one needs to start a Pat meme with the "How can they fly?" quote like...yesterday.

Poor Pat feeling so terrorized because he can't force his beliefs on the little guy.

Perhaps he should go and visit ISIS to get a few lessons.

They'll educate him and let him return, right?

Right?

Angel
Dying to live, living to die.
They never required that to be included in the oath -- at least not when I enlisted in 1989.

Quote: a group about people against religion or whatever he calls it
Bwahahahaha!!! people against religion, or satanic baby rapists, or religious freedom, whatever its called...Dunno

So close, P-Robs, so close.

Good on you Air Force. Salute
(September 18, 2014 at 4:28 pm)Dolorian Wrote: Someone needs to start a Pat meme with the "How can they fly?" quote...

[Image: c8uch.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Space Force? Minimalist 37 3008 August 10, 2018 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Jeff Sessions "Religious Liberty Task Force" Foxaèr 126 8069 August 6, 2018 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Orange rat says he will "do it under oath"? Brian37 10 1734 January 25, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  U.S. Navy Pilot draws penis in air possibletarian 19 2005 November 23, 2017 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  United Air Lines Fucks Up Again Minimalist 12 2601 September 16, 2017 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Fox News Anchor Quits Live On Air Foxaèr 8 2603 June 3, 2017 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Alabama Megachurch To Have Its Own Police Force Secular Elf 13 1454 April 26, 2017 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Egypt Air loses another aircraft vorlon13 71 5014 July 2, 2016 at 11:36 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dump software patents, allow geoblocking bypass: Productivity Commission Aractus 0 490 April 30, 2016 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Aractus
  21 U.S. states will not allow syrian refugees jenny1972 82 13923 November 25, 2015 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Joods