Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alabama Megachurch To Have Its Own Police Force
Alabama Megachurch To Have Its Own Police Force
We are definitely going in the wrong direction:

Quote:...when the Briarwood Presbyterian Church, a megachurch in the suburbs of Birmingham, Alabama, asked for special permission to create our nation’s first ever church-run police force, it sailed right through Alabama’s GOP-dominated Senate on Tuesday. It’s expected that the bill will pass the Republican-controlled House and become law, empowering the Briarwood Church to hire actual police officers in the name of the church.
The Briarwood Church police officers would be required to be certified by the Alabama Peace Officer Training Commission. Consequently, they will be armed and fully empowered as police officers in Alabama, although church officials explained that its “officers would be restricted to the church’s campuses and be able to respond to emergency situations while coordinating with local authorities.” No word yet if the church’s police officers would wear large crosses on their uniforms that conjure up Christian crusaders, but since they are church employees that could be part of the uniform.

Source: The Daily Beast--"In Alabama, A Church Is Getting Its Own Police Force  http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...force.html

If one Conservative Dominionist church can have its own police force, why not all of them?

Do any of my secular brothers and sisters still think that we do not need our own militias to counter a theocratic government dictatorship?  We better start discussing this more seriously.  We better take the threats to us more seriously.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."--Thomas Jefferson
RE: Alabama Megachurch To Have Its Own Police Force
I think it is an extremely bad idea. The RCC ran some of the Western world long enough; look at the damage they did. Even secular law doesn't keep their rapacity in check, or even bring all the criminals therein to justice. I don't exempt any other xtian church from that assessment; it's just that the RCC is easier to point out. Perhaps that church should look to local law enforcement assisting them. How do they square this with their religious mores (not) keeping their folks in line?. Nope, it's gonna go sideways, if they are allowed to have their own police force.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
It's a good idea if it keeps the inmates from escaping.
Some christian colleges already have their own armed police forces. Mosques and temples have armed guards.

Having the same law enforcement powers as the city/county/state is a mistake.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Come on.  Church police forces DO have their lighter side.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Quote: The RCC ran some of the Western world long enough;

Even the fucking church had the decency not to have their own police.  They conned the local nobles into doing their dirty work for them.
(April 26, 2017 at 7:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: The RCC ran some of the Western world long enough;

Even the fucking church had the decency not to have their own police.  They conned the local nobles into doing their dirty work for them.

Fair enough, but a heavy hand nonetheless. Got to keep the peasants in line.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Well I can see no way this could go horribly, awfully, terribly, holy-fuck-the-humanity-you-maniacs-what-devestation-have-you-wrought wrong.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(April 26, 2017 at 7:38 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(April 26, 2017 at 7:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Even the fucking church had the decency not to have their own police.  They conned the local nobles into doing their dirty work for them.

Fair enough, but a heavy hand nonetheless. Got to keep the peasants in line.

Something that the church and nobility always agreed upon.

[Image: denisdiderot1.jpg]
Wonder how long it will be before there is a civil suit for wrongful death, excessive force, hate crime, ............?

If it's the churches force and not independent, I think that they should incur all of the liability (hello, atty please). Maybe the church can be bled dry.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Palestinian Man’s Lawyers Say Israeli Police Marked Him With Star of David WinterHold 8 663 August 23, 2023 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Defunding Police not working out. onlinebiker 51 2596 October 1, 2021 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Columbus Police Shooting onlinebiker 43 2796 April 25, 2021 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Please Justify This Police Action For Me BrianSoddingBoru4 251 18241 February 5, 2021 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  This needs it's own thread. Brian37 15 631 November 3, 2020 at 8:35 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  UK Police officer gets stuck in handcuffs in training zebo-the-fat 10 984 August 19, 2020 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Seattle Chief of Police resigns Due Budget Cuts onlinebiker 68 3326 August 13, 2020 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Satanic Temple beating fundies at their own game Peebothuhlu 2 471 August 9, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: no one
  US police brutality item Duty 351 27060 July 10, 2020 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Minneapolis Abolish Police The Architect Of Fate 82 4756 June 12, 2020 at 10:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger