Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archbishop of Canterbury admits he has doubts about God

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29255318

If the head god-botherer of England has doubts, maybe he is the wrong job!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Archbishop of Canterbury admits he has doubts about God
Sounds like moments of clarity quickly drowned out with delusion.

I am amazed he would even admit to this.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 21, 2014 at 10:23 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Archbishop of Canterbury admits he has doubts about God

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29255318

If the head god-botherer of England has doubts, maybe he is the wrong job!

Maybe God does not support his understanding of Him.
Odds are pretty good the Archbishop ain't preachin' The One True Faith, and he knows it.

God shown His Holy Light thru King Henry and established His preferred faith thusly?? Fuckin' unlikely in the extreme. About as fucked up as God choosing Joe Smith to fix all of Christendom. And Pat Robertson, And the Phelpsites . . .

I can see everyone in the church of England having doubts about God, their church, AND the archbishop
A perfectly healthy and understandable expression of the archbishops humanity -in spite- of his ludicrous and inhuman faith.

Bravo, but now I have to make fun of the other assholes in shitty hats - he's removed himself from the target pool, for meow.

(all kidding aside, I respect his candor immensely, particularly as an authority figure)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
He's violating one of the first things they tell you in Religion 101. And he's in the hierarchy. Ufda!!

Am I wrong to want the Christers to be playing their 'A' game in this??
Remarkable. An honest guy in a precarious position.
The beginning of true humility.
Unremarkable that it began with even a minor retreat from his faith, though.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Whenever I hear talk about Church of England and atheism, I'm reminded of this episode from "Yes, Prime Minister". "The Bishop's Gambit" - where the PM has to appoint a new Bishop which leads to some brilliant commentary regarding the nature of Church of England and its role. Not sure how much is true, but it is funny as hell.

Relevant scenes: 7:32 - 14:22. Then: 15:47 - 17:41

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v21040454DwcnkhBy
It's a good thing. Mother Teresa had serious doubts as well, but wasn't honest enough to give them public voice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ex-minister of secretive sect, admits to child sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 175 January 28, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury SeniorCitizen 9 595 November 29, 2023 at 5:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Archbishop Philip Wilson guilty of concealing child sex abuses zebo-the-fat 3 815 May 23, 2018 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Mormon Church Admits Smith Married 14 year old JesusHChrist 15 4126 September 16, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  "The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven" admits he was lying. Davka 64 15091 February 21, 2015 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  How many has god killed? IATIA 48 9338 December 20, 2014 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The Xtian god HAS TO BE A LIAR ThomM 13 3833 November 6, 2014 at 12:36 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Alabama Preacher Admits having AIDS, Sleeps with Flock JesusHChrist 10 2962 October 9, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12425 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  science has discovered the consistance of god. daandaan 18 4129 October 13, 2013 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jackalope