Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questionnaire for theists
Questionnaire for theists
I have written a series of questions for theists, because I would be interested in hearing lots of different views and answers. I’m not going to make fun of anyone afterwards, whatever answers they give. If it makes you think a little while filling it in, all the better Smile I have put in bold directions to follow for certain answers, to avoid answering questions that will no longer be relevant.

1) What was your reason to coming to an atheist forum?

2) Does it matter to you whether your religious beliefs are true? If no, then end quiz.

3) Do you feel 100% certain that your beliefs are true?

4) Does your religion have an associated text? If no, go to question 5.

4a) Who wrote the book?

4b) How many times have you read it through entirely, cover to cover?

4c) Do you think the book is exactly how your god would want it to read, with no mistakes? If no, go to question 5.

4d) Do you think everything written in it is literally true, and actually happened as stated? If not, who has the authority to pick the literally true parts?

5) Do you think that there are any other religions/gods, from past religions or other current religions, that could also be true/real?

6) Have you spent any time researching other current religions, or religions from the past, to consider whether they could be true too/instead? If no, go to question 7.

6a) Do you feel you have spent enough time researching to be convinced about whether other past/present religions are true?

6b) If you judge other religion(s) to be false using a certain standard or method, and you applied that method to your own religion, do you think yours would stand up to the same scrutiny?

7) Say you were born in another country, where the predominant religion is one other than the one you currently believe in. Say you were raised in this different religion. Do you feel that at some point you would have rejected that religion and adopted the one you have now? If so, why?

8) Do you feel that all your morality comes directly from your religion? If yes, go to question 8b.

8a) Say you drew up a list of all the things you consider are moral, and the things you consider immoral. Then say you did the same for what your god's opinion would be. Would your lists be the same as your god's? If not, where would you differ? Go to question 9.

8b) Do you feel you act in accordance to every moral and instruction in your religion/book?

8c) If you had never known about your religion, or any religion, do you feel you would have any idea how to act morally, or to care about it?

9) Can you give 5 reasons why you believe in your religion, starting with the most important to you?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Questionnaire for theists
Have you tried posted it in a Christian forum? :p

Would be interesting if you do and share the link here to see the responses Smile
Point of criticism - your questionnaire requires a level of introspection and a clarity of thought not common among theists. If it was, they'd be atheists. For example, most theists would automatically answer "yes" to question 2 - but after the rest of the questions they'd realize that they don't actually care and give up (only to forget the whole thing the next day) or dig in and start rationalizing.

Another mistake - you assume all theists are religious.
Getting honest answers to questions like 4d) will be difficult.

The "cherry pickers" in the church's hierarchy aren't going to be eager to be ID'd, and despite their BRAZEN complicity in literally EDITING the Bible, as if though THEY KNOW BETTER THAN GOD, they will be LOATHE to admit it.

Even denominations that offer themselves as Literalists and Inerrantists, are cherry pickers, and they will never fess up to it.

I like the survey, but squeezing honest responses out of the religiousites without waterboarding them will be impossible.
(September 24, 2014 at 8:26 am)genkaus Wrote: Another mistake - you assume all theists are religious.

+1

My favourite subject

2) Does it matter to you whether your religious beliefs are true? If no, then end quiz.
Absolutely

No

Yep

4a) Who wrote the book?
People

Only idiots do that

4c) Do you think the book is exactly how your god would want it to read, with no mistakes? If no, go to question 5.
Yes

4d) Do you think everything written in it is literally true, and actually happened as stated? If not, who has the authority to pick the literally true parts?
It's literally true

5) Do you think that there are any other religions/gods, from past religions or other current religions, that could also be true/real?
They're all attempts at an expression of the same god

6) Have you spent any time researching other current religions, or religions from the past, to consider whether they could be true too/instead? If no, go to question 7.
Yes lots

6a) Do you feel you have spent enough time researching to be convinced about whether other past/present religions are true?
No

6b) If you judge other religion(s) to be false using a certain standard or method, and you applied that method to your own religion, do you think yours would stand up to the same scrutiny?
Yes

7) Say you were born in another country, where the predominant religion is one other than the one you currently believe in. Say you were raised in this different religion. Do you feel that at some point you would have rejected that religion and adopted the one you have now? If so, why?
I have no idea. I was raised an atheist so I guess you could say me becoming a Christian was doing exactly this. Because I couldn't deny the truth.

8) Do you feel that all your morality comes directly from your religion? If yes, go to question 8b.
It's something in built which my beliefs tap into

8a) Say you drew up a list of all the things you consider are moral, and the things you consider immoral. Then say you did the same for what your god's opinion would be. Would your lists be the same as your god's? If not, where would you differ? Go to question 9.
Mine would be more selfish than Gods

8b) Do you feel you act in accordance to every moral and instruction in your religion/book?
No

8c) If you had never known about your religion, or any religion, do you feel you would have any idea how to act morally, or to care about it?
Yes

9) Can you give 5 reasons why you believe in your religion, starting with the most important to you?
It's true
It makes everything better
The world would be better if everyone adhered to something similar
I can know purpose
lol, nice list, maybe we need a questionnaire section dedicated to these things on the forum?

I answered the theists questions, so why not the atheists, oh well.

Activate theist mode

To have fun

Yes

Yes

Yes, lots of them.

4a) Who wrote the book?
People.

Read a few a couple of times.

He doesn't care how we read it.

No. The reader has that authority.

Yes

Yes

No

Yes.

Depends on that predominant religion, so this one's a "maybe".

NO

No, our morality is shaped by our environment which might be quite different from his perspective.

No

Yes.

i) Freedom of choice
ii) Quite a few good, naturalistic practices
iii) Lots of stories
iv) Complete freedom to be an atheist while following the religion
v) Good philosophy
Haha Smile
You will only get politically correct answers, despite the reality of what they actually do. No way a Christer is going to answer 4d) honestly.

No fucking way.
*Coughs and motions up to Frodo's answers*

He seems pretty honest in what he claims to believe.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Look at his answer to 4b)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questionnaire for seminary project breakerbreakeronenine 14 1439 March 19, 2018 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4883 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8159 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s