Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you deal with "tips fedora"?
How do you deal with "tips fedora"?
So religious people love this new cancerous little meme that has sprung up (I think from reddit). It paints all atheists as "neck beards", "classy gentleman" and a person who wears a fedora. Just basically saying that atheists are socially awkward losers. It doesn't relate to any argument, it's just an insult that I think is extremely obnoxious. What do you think?
[Image: 31NC0Im.jpg]
RE: How do you deal with "tips fedora"?
Meh, stereotypes are everywhere.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Well, just need to say this isn't something really related to theism specifically, this caricature is everywhere.

M'lady.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I must admit that I have been known to use a few myself.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfp0LrSLLo44h0ieR9aE_...qgrVZpPJEw]

Course, Bud tastes like someone turned beer into piss.
Hey! I like bud Sad
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(September 25, 2014 at 3:30 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: Hey! I like bud Sad

Then you might also like beer. Try it some time. Tongue
(September 25, 2014 at 3:30 pm)Bad Wolf Wrote: Hey! I like bud Sad

Slowly shakes head.....

In Portland, admitting that is probably enough to warrant getting shot or arrested.

As for the OP, I don't know a single fedora-wearing atheist.

Actually I don't know any fedora-wearing anybodies.
Only Bruno Mars can do justice to a fedora.
This fake cover was not intended to reinforce the stereotype you describe, and it doesnt in my opinion.

It persiflages a segment of the atheoskeptic movement which (according to its critics) cultivates an attitude of smg superiority, harmful ideas about relationships (such as the pick up artist approach to courting women), is unduly critical of socially progressive ideas such as feminism, and tends to brush concerns about social justice issues aside by using an inadequate approach to problems which fetishizes disinterested "logic", treating real life problems as philosophical games where values should be upheld and the priority should be with human concerns. A closely related facet of the worldview which is criticised by the creators of the fake cover is a allegedly naive approach to politics which embraces varieties of randian libertarianism.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(September 25, 2014 at 4:46 pm)Alex K Wrote: This fake cover was not intended to reinforce the stereotype you describe, and it doesnt in my opinion.

It persiflages a segment of the atheoskeptic movement which (according to its critics) cultivates an attitude of smg superiority, is unduly critical of socially progressive ideas such as feminism, and tends to brush concerns about social justice issues aside by using an inadequate approach to problems which fetishizes disinterested "logic" where values should be upheld. A closely related facet of the worldview which is criticised by the creators of the fake cover is a allegedly naive approach to politics which embraces varieties of randian libertarianism.

What he said Angel ( No Idea )

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6337 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2871 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  How I deal with no afterlife SuperMarioGamer 117 11524 October 25, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: TheMonster
  Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with ErGingerbreadMandude 76 12700 March 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  So how do you deal with your atheism around the holidays GoHalos1993 22 4099 December 8, 2015 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  How do you deal with a religious family? badlydrawngirl 68 15683 September 24, 2014 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: genkaus
  How to deal with opposite opinion marianomanto 8 4020 August 25, 2014 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  How to deal with family? andrew214 7 2823 March 20, 2014 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Any tips on reading the bible for an atheist? rensou 49 10368 March 1, 2014 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  Why do you make such a big deal out of it? Fruity 14 6063 January 31, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon