Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So This Fucking Moron Is On The School Board In Colorado
So This Fucking Moron Is On The School Board In Colorado
No wonder our kids don't have a chance.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/conse...luntarily/

Quote:Conservative CO school board member: AP history is wrong, US ended slavery ‘voluntarily’

Quote:“The idea that the United States voluntarily gave up slavery is an outright misrepresentation of history. The United States engaged in a civil war to end slavery. There was nothing voluntary about it,” Rossi said. “I’m just flabbergasted at anyone who would make that claim. Flabbergasted.”
RE: So This Fucking Moron Is On The School Board In Colorado
Both views points are wrong. The freeing of the slaves was a tactical move by Lincoln to destabilize the South in order to win the Civil War, started by farmers who were being crushed by tariffs on imported industrial goods.
Lincoln's "Emancipation Proclamation" said:

Quote:"That on the 1st day of January, A.D. 1863, all persons held as
slaves within any State or designated part of a State the people
whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States
shall
be then, thenceforward, and forever free;

Thus, it did not "free" a single slave. That was left to the army.

And that means there was nothing 'voluntary' about it.
(October 3, 2014 at 4:15 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Lincoln's "Emancipation Proclamation" said:

Quote:"That on the 1st day of January, A.D. 1863, all persons held as
slaves within any State or designated part of a State the people
whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States
shall
be then, thenceforward, and forever free;

I'm certainly NOT arguing that point. What I'm presenting as my understanding of the historical context is that the Civil War was not started for the purpose of freeing the slaves.
WWII was not started to end the holocaust, either. It was merely a happy result.

The cause of the Civil War was secession.

Entire Union Regiments deserted in the aftermath of the Emancipation Proclamation as many northerners had not signed up to fight to free the slaves; the signed up to preserve the union. Nonetheless, the war did end slavery for all practical purposes.

The odds that slavery could have survived the Industrial Revolution into the modern world are slim and as a nation we might have been better off if it had just withered away as a no longer useful economic model. We'll never know.

But it sure as fuck wasn't 'voluntary.'
(October 3, 2014 at 4:20 pm)Endo Wrote:
(October 3, 2014 at 4:15 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Lincoln's "Emancipation Proclamation" said:

I'm certainly NOT arguing that point. What I'm presenting as my understanding of the historical context is that the Civil War was not started for the purpose of freeing the slaves.

No, civil war was started by those who hitched their wagen to the slavery horse for the purpose of trying to preemptively checkmate any attempts to free slaves by those who weren't even, on average, all that eager to free slaves.
Yeah sure. All the Americans wake up one morning and decided to end slavery. And the last one hundred and fifty years of racial discrimination are just been a series of misunderstanding.
[Image: th_093.gif]

“Congress must not declare equal those whom God has created unequal.”
Fernando Wood
(October 3, 2014 at 4:29 pm)Minimalist Wrote: But it sure as fuck wasn't 'voluntary.'

Yeah, just like the Lee voluntarily allowed 3 Union armies to surround his army at Appomattox Courthouse.

In fact Jefferson Davis even tried to claim emencipation would make restroation of union impossible.

(October 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm)Endo Wrote: Both views points are wrong. The freeing of the slaves was a tactical move by Lincoln to destabilize the South in order to win the Civil War, started by farmers who were being crushed by tariffs on imported industrial goods.

No, the timing of the emencipation was after the South had suffered the two defeats that decided its fate. In fact Lincoln delayed freeing slave because he did not want it perceived that emencipation was purely a tactical move in the war against the south. Freeing slaves eliminated only the possibility that Great Britain or France would come into the war on the side of the South at save it in the eleventh hour.

Some time before this Lincoln had already come around to become a genuine abolitionist. It was only a foregone conclusion the slaves would be freed unless the Union was defeated. The only question was when was the best time to do it.
What outside country or actor forced the United States to end slavery? Sure there was a conflict to end slavery....but it was an internal conflict. From a certain perspective she is correct.
(October 3, 2014 at 11:49 pm)Heywood Wrote: What outside country or actor forced the United States to end slavery? Sure there was a conflict to end slavery....but it was an internal conflict. From a certain perspective she is correct.

Considering that the claim is that the current history curriculum is incorrect, and somehow I doubt that curriculum is itself reinventing history so that the civil war was an international one, I doubt that that's the perspective she was taking, however.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mass shooting in the middle school Vladislav Ribnikar in Belgrade FlatAssembler 764 27017 July 18, 2023 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Colorado shooting, 5 dead. brewer 0 294 December 28, 2021 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Oakland School Shooting onlinebiker 99 5845 December 7, 2021 at 8:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  They’re All Fucking Short-Bus People brewer 20 1291 May 21, 2021 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  This from the California Tourism Board. Gawdzilla Sama 74 5363 September 21, 2020 at 12:19 pm
  Denver Radio Host wishes for "Nice School Shooting" to interrupt Impeachment Divinity 17 1360 December 20, 2019 at 8:46 am
  School of Hard Rock Hotel knocks. Brian37 5 651 October 15, 2019 at 5:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Middle School Hit List Foxaèr 24 2609 April 24, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Nuns steal ~$500k from school for Vegas trips - face no charges Fidel_Castronaut 15 1366 December 11, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  THE WLB Will Appoint This Moron To Run The CDC Minimalist 1 424 November 5, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Angrboda