Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Found This Quote
Found This Quote
while searching for something else on another board.

Quote:Andrew Bernstein
“Here is the tragedy of theology in its distilled essence: The employment of high-powered human intellect, of genius, of profoundly rigorous logical deduction—studying nothing. In the Middle Ages, the great minds capable of transforming the world did not study the world; and so, for most of a millennium, as human beings screamed in agony—decaying from starvation, eaten by leprosy and plague, dying in droves in their twenties—the men of the mind, who could have provided their earthly salvation, abandoned them for otherworldly fantasies.”

― Andrew Bernstein

Too fucking true.

These days at least religion is the purview of the ignorant.
RE: Found This Quote
And the minds that were applied to the world not only had to wrestle with their own religious turmoil, but outside prosecution.

Alfred Korzybski had this to say:
"Humans can be literally poisoned by false ideas and false teachings. Many people have a just horror at the thought of putting poison into tea or coffee, but seem unable to realize that, when they teach false ideas and false doctrines, they are poisoning the time-binding capacity of their fellow men and women. One has to stop and think! There is nothing mystical about the fact that ideas and words are energies which powerfully affect the physico-chemical base of our time-binding activities. Humans are thus made untrue to "human nature." ... The conception of man as a mixture of animal and supernatural has for ages kept human beings under the deadly spell of the suggestion that, animal selfishness and animal greediness are their essential character, and the spell has operated to suppress their REAL HUMAN NATURE and to prevent it from expressing itself naturally and freely."

The real human nature he speaks of is our ability to bind time, as he called it. The ability to apply passed knowledge of our ancestors to our time for the use of future generations.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
How much mental effort was wasted deducing how many angels could dance on the head of a pin?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Off topic
If you like such quotes check out this app on google play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...otes&hl=en
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

-Douglas Adams
(October 4, 2014 at 8:28 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: How much mental effort was wasted deducing how many angels could dance on the head of a pin?

Considerable, no doubt. But I might point out, the Christers (and other religiousites) are stuck with such absurdities, and we can wield them to great effect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Shocking Reflection]: Finally, I found Mohammed's name in the Bible and the Torah WinterHold 105 5865 November 26, 2022 at 1:29 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Sodom found? HappySkeptic 46 3144 October 9, 2021 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 78638 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Jesus tomb found! << click bait for religious>> ignoramus 17 2832 December 23, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2557 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What would you do if you found out that God has nothing to do with religions? Little Rik 68 11602 October 8, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  What would you do if you found out Dog existed? Gawdzilla Sama 16 3317 October 7, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What would you do if you found out God can't possibly exist? Succubus 21 4621 October 7, 2017 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Christian in need of help (feeling uneasy about God quote)!! MellisaClarke 99 30903 May 29, 2017 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Add your favorite JESUS QUOTE in this thread for comedy relief!! 21stCenturyIconoclast 33 4409 January 22, 2017 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd