Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 7, 2024, 8:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the religious defense of this Jesus Christ quote?
What is the religious defense of this Jesus Christ quote?
Quoting from the bible, “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household." - Jesus Christ, Matthew 10:34-36

How would theists defend Jesus here? It's my favorite biblical quote when I want to point out that Jesus is a dick.
Schopenhauer Wrote:The intellect has become free, and in this state it does not even know or understand any other interest than that of truth.

Epicurus Wrote:The greatest reward of righteousness is peace of mind.

Epicurus Wrote:Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;

What is good is easy to get,

What is terrible is easy to endure
RE: What is the religious defense of this Jesus Christ quote?
(July 22, 2024 at 10:12 am)Disagreeable Wrote: Quoting from the bible, “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household." - Jesus Christ, Matthew 10:34-36

How would theists defend Jesus here? It's my favorite biblical quote when I want to point out that Jesus is a dick.

He's a god, he comes first even over family and/or peace or no golden ticket. All must believe that or there will be consequences..

They'll also tell you that 'sword' is a metaphor and you're reading the bible wrong.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It’s not a literal sword. Jesus was pointing out the religions are, by their very nature, divisive, and faith in Jesus is very likely to divide families. He clearly wasn’t wrong.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(July 22, 2024 at 12:12 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It’s not a literal sword. Jesus was pointing out the religions are, by their very nature, divisive, and faith in Jesus is very likely to divide families. He clearly wasn’t wrong.

Boru

Interesting interpretation. Makes a lot of sense.
Schopenhauer Wrote:The intellect has become free, and in this state it does not even know or understand any other interest than that of truth.

Epicurus Wrote:The greatest reward of righteousness is peace of mind.

Epicurus Wrote:Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;

What is good is easy to get,

What is terrible is easy to endure
Reading out of context, metaphor or great mystery of the faith would be most popular defenses I guess.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates.
There were two itinerant rabbis of the time with the same name. I call them Mean Jesus and Nice Jesus. That was Mean Jesus. We shouldn't listen to what he says, he hates figs.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Sounds like a trouble maker to me, better get him crucified quick!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(July 22, 2024 at 10:12 am)Disagreeable Wrote: Quoting from the bible, “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household." - Jesus Christ, Matthew 10:34-36

They may say its like hyperbole or something.
It comes into conflict with the 10 commandments.

Exodus 20:12 KING JAMES VERSION
Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

^^^^^It doesn’t say honor your father and mother except if they don’t worship Jesus or don’t accept Jesus as a savior.
The above line is meant for jews who already worship the jewish god. It does not come into conflict with commandment 1, 2 and 3.

The problem is that Jesus is a late comer and wants to inject a new rule: Worship Jesus as a god or savior.
Jesus didn’t do much to convince his people and then makes threats.
So, Jesus is an initiator of a problem.

Luke 12:47 KING JAMES VERSION
And that servant, which knew his lord’s will, and prepared not [himself,] neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many [stripes.]

^^^^^Jesus implies that he will beat you up if you don’t worship him.

Matthew 12:30 KING JAMES VERSION
He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

^^^^^This is an indirect way to say fuck you if you are not worshiping me.

It also answers an interesting question that christians sometimes ask me:
What would god have to do to convince you?

Answer: Jesus failed to convince some of his people, the jews.
How is it possible that Jesus failed so easily?
All he did was perform magic to cure people.
Why didn’t Jesus do more to convince people?

My Answer: Can he do something else?
Jesus is a human creation. Of course he brings a freakin' sword. Were he invented nowadays he'd bring an M-249.

Now, if he was really a cool guy, he'd bring some jalapeño poppers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I hate it when people quote from the Bible Disagreeable 12 665 July 27, 2024 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Jesus tomb found! << click bait for religious>> ignoramus 17 3172 December 23, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Jerusalem, rapture, the coming of christ, and crazy evangelicals WinterHold 9 1640 May 25, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  In Defense of God. The Grand Nudger 55 13951 June 27, 2017 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Christian in need of help (feeling uneasy about God quote)!! MellisaClarke 99 33169 May 29, 2017 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Add your favorite JESUS QUOTE in this thread for comedy relief!! 21stCenturyIconoclast 33 5118 January 22, 2017 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Quote from GotQuestions.org ignoramus 37 10084 July 7, 2016 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Your Kit quote for the day Silver 13 4248 April 26, 2015 at 9:45 am
Last Post: John V
Video Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice Mental Outlaw 16 4640 April 5, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  "With or without religion.." Quote. Is Weinberg wrong? sagersager1 80 16094 January 7, 2015 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: sagersager1