Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be Kind to Islam Week
Be Kind to Islam Week
I'm sure by now everyone has seen the exchange between Ben Affleck and Sam Harris on the topic of Muslim theocracy and how liberals are unwilling to speak out against it. Ben literally became red in the face with rage as he refused to let Sam Harris speak under a tirade of ad hominems and straw men attacks.

Since that time, liberal blogs have been lit up with arguments about how atheists are mean people and we need to be nicer and more polite to Islam because all this divisive talk accomplishes nothing.

The reaction of Ben Affleck only proves Sam Harris' point that Islam is a sacred cow of liberals reflexively defended from any criticism with spurious charges of "racism", a transparent red herring since Islam isn't a race. The left's insistence that Islam be held blameless for religious inspired violence and bigotry is a non-falsifiable bare assertion fallacy, supported with an endless parade of ad hoc hypotheses and "no true Scotsman".

It's amazing that anyone can observe Ben's performance during the "debate" on the subject and see him as anything better than a blustering bully. Nothing of substance was ever offered in Islam's defense apart from the arguments from ignorance based assertions about the "true teachings of Islam".

Religions metaphysical claims are uniquely dangerous to humanity's survival since economic or political fanaticism offer promises that are expected to be realized in the natural world. Religion has no reality check against fanaticism. It features invisible, undetectable supernatural agents making promises of what will happen after we die which can't be verified. This fact alone should make religion a troubling matter.

Sam Harris has eloquently argued against the special pleading defenses of Islam with statistical surveys of the opinions of practicing Muslims, showing Islam to be a dangerous collection of ideas about how the world works. Liberals unwillingness to examine the relationship between religion and religious inspired violence and bigotry amounts to enabling, pure and simple, no better than covering for an abusive alcoholic in a family.

The viability of civilization requires that we abandon the taboo against criticism of sacred beliefs, which must include Islam along with other religions. 

Islam
Is
Not
A
Race!
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: Be Kind to Islam Week
Did anyone ever say that Ayaan Hirsi Ali is racist? (Serious question)
I guess I am not as 'liberal' as I thought I was.

Fuck islam.
Totally agree with DP.
I am not sure why people treat Islam as a race. Islam is a religion, and all religious should be criticized.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
I have had this charge leveled against me by my "progressive" mother. I find it laughable as Islam is as much a race as Catholic. However Islam itself infuriates me. These people come over and try to enforce us to follow their culture. For example in my town where I live there is a large population of muslims at the local university, and nearly all of it is male, and now some resturaunts will only sell halal meat because of Muslims complaining.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(October 9, 2014 at 12:04 pm)Dragonetti Wrote: I am not sure why people treat Islam as a race. Islam is a religion, and all religious should be criticized.

It's a weak attempt to play on supposedly enlightened people's sensibilities of tolerance, love and kumbaya.

Otherwise known as sleight of hand; don't look behind the curtain!

Don't be a racist! or criticize our superstitious nonsense. That's not very nice.
I am already kind to Muslims this week. I didn't take a single innocent muslim hostage and murder him on TV.
I'd rather celebrate "Islam Sucks Week". The only safe Qu'ran is a burned Qu'ran. The only good prophet is an insulted prophet.

Of course, every week is Islam Sucks Week, but sometimes it's nice to do something special.
I drew an Israel flag yesterday during lecture on a desk. I'm a cool vandal :p

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7877 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5486 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Anti-Islam Dutch politician converts to Islam Muslim Scholar 58 33877 May 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Violet