Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On internet debate.
On internet debate.
Not that this has never been thought of before, but I have some thoughts on why internet debates usually get so much more aggressive and include more name-calling than real-life, face-to-face ones.

Many have already argued that the simple distance the internet provides makes people more likely to say something they would feel uncomfortable saying to a person's face.

This is likely a key component. However, I would propose another, more important factor: In real life, if you miss a chance to make a clever comeback, you simply missed it. If you try to revisit the topic at a later date to make your quip, people will rightfully view you as socially out of step. On the internet, however, you can return to the debate at any time once you have formulated a new comeback, and while it may not move the conversation forward (it may, but in my experience it usually doesn't) no one will think you strange for making a snide remark.

This is both good and bad: It allows people to say what they are really thinking without regard to other people's feelings; conversely oftentimes people get so wrapped up in formulating a good comeback that that they don't realize they are failing to introduce new ideas, or perspectives to the conversation, or are failing to answer legitimate questions which have been asked.

I'll admit that I often fall prey to this myself, and though I try to impose rules about when and how to respond to ad hominem attacks and rude behavior, those rules rarely make it through the firefight of an entire topic without being broken in some manner.

It's frustrating, but understandably human, and it's important to keep in mind that different people have different definitions of what constitutes trolling vs wit. I've observed that these distinctions will all too often have an element of rationalization to them, where the opposing side is vastly more likely to be characterized as trolls, whereas your side is vastly more likely to be innocent jokers trying to be witty.

All of these factors, I think, are informative points to keep in mind while conversing with others, as it will potentially help you become more aware of your own unexamined rationalizations, wherever they may lie.

Everyone's thoughts?
RE: On internet debate.
(October 26, 2014 at 3:30 pm)trmof Wrote: Everyone's thoughts?

Fuck off.
(October 26, 2014 at 3:33 pm)Cato Wrote:
(October 26, 2014 at 3:30 pm)trmof Wrote: Everyone's thoughts?

Fuck off.

Hmm, I see your point. But no.Wink
If you can get over the "witty comeback" aspect and concentrate on the actual debate, a debate on the web is much more fruitful, because you simply get more time to explain your point and understand the other views. Time is essential to have a calm discussion, do research, and debate with actual information.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(October 26, 2014 at 3:38 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: If you can get over the "witty comeback" aspect and concentrate on the actual debate, a debate on the web is much more fruitful, because you simply get more time to explain your point and understand the other views. Time is essential to have a calm discussion, do research, and debate with actual information.

I agree, the fact that one CAN come back when they've thought of a comeback also means they can come back after giving the topic more thought and having an epiphany. The benefits definitely outweigh any perceived costs. It's still important to remember, though, who your audience is. If you are trying to convince the passersby, you can be much more loose with your use of poetic language. If, however, your true goal is to convince the person who disagrees with you, you have to keep your thoughts much more focused, as any snide remarks, even in complete jest, are likely to bring the conversation to a halt.
Jest is a necessary part of a argument especially when the argument doesn't consist of any characterisitics of a meaningful and factual debate. A snide remark is also useful in a non-face-to-face debate, as it helps to express the emotion involved alongside the actual point as both are important information.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Well you can rest easy knowing that when it comes to defining what constitutes a troll on here, mine and my fellow colleagues on the staff get the ultimate and final word.

So really it becomes academic from that standpoint Smile
(October 26, 2014 at 3:51 pm)trmof Wrote:
(October 26, 2014 at 3:38 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: If you can get over the "witty comeback" aspect and concentrate on the actual debate, a debate on the web is much more fruitful, because you simply get more time to explain your point and understand the other views. Time is essential to have a calm discussion, do research, and debate with actual information.

I agree, the fact that one CAN come back when they've thought of a comeback also means they can come back after giving the topic more thought and having an epiphany. The benefits definitely outweigh any perceived costs. It's still important to remember, though, who your audience is. If you are trying to convince the passersby, you can be much more loose with your use of poetic language. If, however, your true goal is to convince the person who disagrees with you, you have to keep your thoughts much more focused, as any snide remarks, even in complete jest, are likely to bring the conversation to a halt.

You should also be aware that debate is very, very rarely about conving the other person you're right and they're wrong, but more about convincing onlookers that your points have more validity than your opponents.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Crack the community whip... they'll love you for it. Wink
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I find my most heated responses come from not taking the time to think before posting, rather than any taking advantage of the time I have. Composing offline might help reduce such things, but who is going to do that with every post?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 26, 2014 at 3:30 pm)trmof Wrote: Not that this has never been thought of before, but I have some thoughts on why internet debates usually get so much more aggressive and include more name-calling than real-life, face-to-face ones.

Many have already argued that the simple distance the internet provides makes people more likely to say something they would feel uncomfortable saying to a person's face.

This is likely a key component. However, I would propose another, more important factor: In real life, if you miss a chance to make a clever comeback, you simply missed it. If you try to revisit the topic at a later date to make your quip, people will rightfully view you as socially out of step. On the internet, however, you can return to the debate at any time once you have formulated a new comeback, and while it may not move the conversation forward (it may, but in my experience it usually doesn't) no one will think you strange for making a snide remark.

Everyone's thoughts?

I would say that the common wisdom is right. Most of the reason internet debates are more heated is that we are more comfortable saying what we think when we can't see the other person's reaction and this effect is heightened if we are anonymous.

The other effect of the internet, is that it is easier than ever before to limit your contact to like-minded people and sites that confirm your on biases.

I think one of the reasons Christians and other theists find this forum so difficult is that they aren't used to opposition concerning their beliefs. Unless directly confronted I don't usually try to talk to people about the absurdity of belief in god. I let remarks like "god blessed me with this new job" slide in favor of generally getting along. This space, however is set aside for atheists and I feel no such compunction here.

The tale has two sides of course. Atheists on Christian sites suffer similarly. The only difference is that we suffer more of it in the physical world.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Internet Utopia Ahriman 71 5463 October 7, 2021 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Mid-late 2000's internet was the best time for the web. Mechaghostman2 6 815 June 14, 2020 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Debate solely through the medium of memes Jacob(smooth) 6601 780939 April 13, 2020 at 4:27 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why is it internet fandom has some of the nastiest people? A Godzilla fan 10 811 October 7, 2019 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Shut Everything Down - Barack Obama Just Won The Internet BrianSoddingBoru4 30 2701 August 5, 2018 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  What is it that makes people so mean on the internet? NuclearEnergy 9 1103 October 23, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: c172
  The Great Nerd Debate: Sith or Jedi The Valkyrie 27 8231 September 13, 2017 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Amarok
  The Great Debate The Valkyrie 26 7792 June 13, 2017 at 2:57 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Why are there so many creeps on the internet? NuclearEnergy 52 12111 May 25, 2017 at 6:52 am
Last Post: eggie
  Too lazy to debate J a c k 30 5081 September 8, 2016 at 2:02 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus