Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:12 pm

Poll: Is Hard Atheism Irrational?
This poll is closed.
Yes
41.38%
12 41.38%
No
58.62%
17 58.62%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your stance on Hard Atheism
Your stance on Hard Atheism
I would like to get your general opinions on the validity of hard atheism. Specifically, I would like to get the views of the agnostic atheists. The reason being, just as confrontational and irrational Christians are much more likely to seek out a bitter debate with atheists than those who follow the example of Christ, hard atheists are also more likely to seek out a bitter debate than agnostic atheists.

The problem of Christians behaving in an a manner which besmirches Christianity is often discussed, both on the internet and in the real world. However, I think the issue of hard atheists painting agnostic atheists in a bad light is hardly ever addressed, and as a consequence agnostic atheists are less likely to correct hard atheists on their rational errors than Christians are to correct their fellow Christians on theological ones.

And so a poll: Do you think that hard atheism is irrational considering that man can not know what he doesn't know?
RE: Your stance on Hard Atheism
I don't quite understand what you define as "hard atheism". I personally don't seek out debates with religious people because it is frustrating and pointless. But those who do that are perfectly valid because most of the time they do it out of concern for their fellow human beings.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

By hard atheism, do you simply mean gnostic atheism?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Extremism is bad, regardless of what group you're in. I don't pay much attention to hard atheism, and I can understand why some people would fight fire with fire when it comes to the extreme beliefs of some religious people. You start talking about killing homosexuals, and saying atheists are evil, because of a book, and you'll get some people reacting to violence with violence.

I would discourage any kind of extremism, though.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Quote:Do you think that hard atheism is irrational considering that man can not know what he doesn't know?

No. The question as worded indicates that you don't understand what positive atheism actually is (I've never before heard the term 'hard atheism').

An atheist, as such, is one who lacks all belief in all gods, nothing more or less. It is not an insistence that gods cannot exist. Rather, it is a statement about the lack of belief of a particular individual. One doesn't need to be metaphysically certain that gods don't exist in order to be a positive atheist - all that is needed is to lack the belief that they do exist.

And for what it's worth, 'man cannot know what he doesn't know' applies perfectly well to theists. By way of example, you don't know that God exists, you simply believe that he does, which isn't the same thing at all.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Hard Atheism is irrational at best. They say God does not exist without an iota of proof.
(October 27, 2014 at 4:41 pm)Christian Wrote: Hard Atheism is irrational at best. They say God does not exist without an iota of proof.

Hard theism has a similar problem.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Christians also say other gods do not exist without an iota of proof.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Just like I know unicorns don't exist, I know god doesn't exist.

If someone asked me does Santa Klaus exist? my answer would be No and not I do not know but I lack belief in him.

By the way - Why can't I be certain of something? Why can't I claim knowledge? I possess knowledge on several subjects, I don't see any reason to treat the god hypothesis differently... If I can claim knowledge when it comes to science, I can claim knowledge when it comes to god - I'm sure gravity exists, I don't merely believe gravity is more likely to exist.

Since agnosticism tells us that we cannot possess knowledge and certainty, can we at least be certain that we can't be certain of anything? If so, perhaps we can be certain of some answers Wink
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(October 27, 2014 at 4:14 pm)trmof Wrote: I would like to get your general opinions on the validity of hard atheism.

What is hard atheism according to your use?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5222 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sharing your atheism james hart 15 1716 April 24, 2020 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ? tahaadi 42 4562 October 13, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Informing aging relatives of your Atheism Bahana 7 1255 October 7, 2018 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Bahana
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 23291 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Sometimes it's hard for me to shut up about my atheism Der/die AtheistIn 23 5287 August 15, 2017 at 5:18 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27107 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? Lucanus 113 25799 April 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Poll: What is your Specific Level of Atheism? camlov2019 68 8140 January 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: flagbears
  How open are you with your Atheism? Casca 88 10050 November 3, 2016 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus