Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sometimes it's hard for me to shut up about my atheism
Sometimes it's hard for me to shut up about my atheism
Sometimes, when my family goes to church with me, or when religion is discussed, I find it hard to keep my atheism secret.
I cant tell my parents untill I become financially independet, but untill then, how can I be sure that they won't find out? Huh
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Sometimes it's hard for me to shut up about my atheism
(August 13, 2017 at 10:53 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: Sometimes, when my family goes to church with me, or when religion is discussed, I find it hard to keep my atheism secret.
I cant tell my parents untill I become financially independet, but untill then, how can I be sure that they won't find out? Huh

Unfortunately you have the right idea, get to a point where you are stable and don't have to be dependent on them. We hear stories like this all the time. But the good thing is you have this message board to talk to people.
(August 13, 2017 at 10:53 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: Sometimes, when my family goes to church with me, or when religion is discussed, I find it hard to keep my atheism secret.

Here's what you do: Find the worst examples of Xtianity on the news or youtube, and pretend your ass off that you're a firm believer, and show them to your parents, and say that you 'never thought about it that way, and you checked in the bible, and those crazy assholes are actually RIGHT!'
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
We know.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
Can you find a job that let's you work instead of wasting your time in a fucking church?  Most parents approve of kids getting a job.  They think it builds character and it certainly accomplishes more than listening to some fucking holy joe yammer on about bullshit.

Not only would you get out of going to fucking church you'd end up with a few bucks in your pocket.  Win-Win.

You just have to be smart.

Don't argue with them about it
Don't fight going to church or anything else
Don't give them any cause to suspect

Also, be damn sure they cannot access your computer, or have any reason to.  This is doubly important if your family shares a computer.  You don't want "atheistforums.org" popping up if someone else types an 'a' into the address bar.

I get where you're coming from.  Not only is the rest of my family Catholic to one degree or another, they're all Trump voters.  And sometimes it's really, really hard to bite my tongue.  But I do it anyway, because the alternative for myself is worse.

So, just be careful.  Vigilance is your best bet until you can move out.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(August 13, 2017 at 10:53 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: Sometimes, when my family goes to church with me, or when religion is discussed, I find it hard to keep my atheism secret. I cant tell my parents untill I become financially independet, but untill then, how can I be sure that they won't find out? Huh

If it comes up in conversation, just tell them straight out why you don't like Jesus, and take it from there..Smile
(PS- you can tell us too if you like)

Perception filter, perhaps? Tongue
(August 13, 2017 at 4:18 pm)Dropship Wrote:
(August 13, 2017 at 10:53 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: Sometimes, when my family goes to church with me, or when religion is discussed, I find it hard to keep my atheism secret. I cant tell my parents untill I become financially independet, but untill then, how can I be sure that they won't find out? Huh

If it comes up in conversation, just tell them straight out why you don't like Jesus, and take it from there..Smile

That is really shitty of you to even joke like that. I bet you would not give that advice to someone youth living under a deeply Muslim society knowing they don't believe. We've seen that too.

Some kids do not have the luck of being born into accepting families. Some kids if they tell their parents they are not the same as their parents risk even physical abuse or getting kicked out on the street. LGBT can tell you that too.

And I do take this personally because my younger sister, while she came out as an adult still got lots of shit from our biological family and it took them a long time to accept it. It was hell for her even as an adult. Kids don't have the luxury of just leaving.
(August 13, 2017 at 4:29 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(August 13, 2017 at 4:18 pm)Dropship Wrote: If it comes up in conversation, just tell them straight out why you don't like Jesus, and take it from there..Smile

..Kids don't have the luxury of just leaving.

If parents are the dickhead types, they don't deserve any respect and my advice to kids is- do your own thing..Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27084 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  How to debunk the first cause argument without trying too hard Dystopia 206 45102 September 21, 2015 at 11:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11925 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why is it so hard to be openly atheist in today's world Ghost2282 63 11678 March 30, 2015 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12452 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Your stance on Hard Atheism trmof 251 43687 December 18, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12125 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  The more troubling fact is not that this may be genuine, but that it's hard to doubt Mudhammam 16 5030 August 13, 2014 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Lucanus
  Stuck between a rock and a hard place JohnNelson98 21 3949 July 26, 2014 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: JohnNelson98
  Is it just not worth it sometimes? FatAndFaithless 15 2328 June 26, 2014 at 2:51 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut