Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:53 am

Poll: Have you ever had a psychotic break with reality?
This poll is closed.
I was hospitalized and diagnosed as psychotic
14.29%
2 14.29%
I know that I had one but never was hospitalized
7.14%
1 7.14%
I have only ever had the kind brought on by LSD, mushrooms, PCP, etc.
14.29%
2 14.29%
I have suffered from anxiety but never anything so intense that I would call it "psychotic"
14.29%
2 14.29%
I have no frame of reference to even comprehend this thread
50.00%
7 50.00%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psychotic Break
Psychotic Break
Ok, just for fun who here has ever had a psychotic break with reality?

I will go on record with a short blurb on my own experience. I was dragged out of my parents home by the cops and taken to a psych ward for two weeks. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia although they said it was drug-induced and I have not researched it further other than by taking all the drugs I was taking at the time to see if it happened again. You see, I find it insulting to think that drugs can just poof me into that state of mind. It only happened the one time. I had to relearn how to relate to reality from the ground up and was a very very strange boy for a year after the experience.

Part of the experience was a belief that I was the second coming of Christ and I was responsible for saving the souls of every person on the planet. I wept openly at the prospect, it was quite a burden.

Rhizo

PS This is SO not a joke! I wish it was.
RE: Psychotic Break
I am on medication for having an 8 week long delusional, manic psychotic episode back in Jan 2007. I believed many delusional things including believing I was Jesus even though I've never been religious (or never other than that (if that counts?)).

I take 800 mg of Lithium a night. I used to also be on an anti-psychotic and a sleeping pill... but that was for a much shorter time - like a few months.

EvF
So you are the one using up all my Lithium. How am I supposed to get cheap batteries if you keep using the stuff. Wink
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I took mellaril (an anti-psychotic) for a short time after I was out of the hospital. It was a requirement my mother had for me to keep living in the house. I complained that it made me tired and the psychiatrist I was seeing took me off them promptly. I am medication free now, even self-medication. I still drink for entertainment though. Smile

I'm wondering where you got your concept of Jesus if you never went to church or why it would even occur to you? My delusion was based on my studies of the bible and I thought I was fulfilling prophecy. Rolleyes I also met several molevolent spirits while in solitary.

Rhizo
So describe what it was like the moment of your break? Anyone
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Euphoric for me.
I knew of the concept of Jesus if only from TV references and ... moreover: reading random parts of the Bible just to take the piss. And reading a bit of Evilbible.com.

EvF
I had the pleasure of working as an orderly at the state mental hospital. No, I never got to have a break from reality, psychotic wise, but I did get to watch a bunch of them, tackle a few, toss them into the rubber room.

What was really entertaining is when two of the basket cases would both claim to be Jesus and get to duking it out over who was Jesus. Each one would accuse the other of being the anti-christ.

Sometimes I would play God. More than once we'd have a psycho who'd refuse their medication.
I would wait until later when they were lying quietly in their bed and I would hide behind the door.

"Jose'.....Jose'....this is the Lord. Take your medicina. For it is good. It has been blessed."
Worked a couple times.

Another good one, I'd go get our resident Jesus (there was ALWAYS one) to "bless" the refusers medication for him. That worked sometimes too.

Oh the fun. I miss those years.

edited to add: Yes, I found your (not specifically you, generally speaking) mental illnesses entertaining, so sue me.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(February 6, 2010 at 7:01 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Euphoric for me.

Well that's certainly what it FELT like for me too - the experience was awesome but the aftermath was...... "oooooh shit..." lol.

EvF
Dotard,

Psychotic people are amusing! I speak to homeless people sometimes just for the interesting stories they tell about angels giving them machine guns to kill mobsters, or they explain they are a rug and want you to walk on parts of themselves they have spread around them (carpet samples mostly).

Tackattack,

There was no moment. Losing one's mind is a process not an event. My story is too personal to really get into too much detail, but I could tell you some of the contributing factors. Girlfriend cheating on me, rampant drug use (meth, LSD, pot, booze, nitrous oxide), parties at all times of the night (sleep deprivation is a bitch!), parents turning their back on me, brother turning his back on me, basically just life stressors building up in a really short time. I was a Christian of sorts at the time and was trying to figure out how all those things could fit into my walk with god. lol Smile

I think the trick to stay sane is to just pay attention to what is going on and if you don't like the way things are going, change what you are doing.

Rhizo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking a break Godscreated 3 281 July 19, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  I'm going to have to break a promise! Mystic 19 3871 March 20, 2018 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hypothetical Q's about psychotic beliefs and antipsychotics Alexmahone 39 3465 January 12, 2018 at 7:52 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Heart Important To All My Friends: Seriously taking an AF break. Edwardo Piet 49 3996 December 5, 2016 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Taking a break bladevalant546 10 1810 November 19, 2013 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  I'm Taking a Break RonaldReagansGhost666 5 2073 January 29, 2013 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Taking An Indefinite Break FallentoReason 26 4194 November 7, 2012 at 2:24 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Taking a Break FallentoReason 19 5790 July 19, 2012 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Taking a break Anomalocaris 9 1744 November 3, 2011 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: fr0d0