Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports and Religion do they mix?
Sports and Religion do they mix?
I coach football. I have always been against asking for god to help us win. I did not understand how he could pick sidesBig Grin.

Recently, I have stopped saying the lords prayer at the end of the game. It has been a tradition of the school for years. I never really thought about it, but now with my belief changing, it seems very hypocritical of me to pray to a god that I dont believe is there.

I dont believe, as a coach, I should influence the boys one way or another about their faith. I never did as a christian. To the point if they asked about my faith, I would tell them it had no bearing on how we play. Now I still believe I should not influence them. A few have noticed me not praying. Should I bow my head anyway? Or is that just being hypocritical?...something I despise now in christians.

Any and all input is welcomed!
RE: Sports and Religion do they mix?
Erm, if you're a coach employed by the school, leading the players in the lord's prayer isn't just morally icky, it's illegal (in public schools).
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(October 31, 2014 at 3:17 pm)polar bear Wrote: I coach football. I have always been against asking for god to help us win. I did not understand how he could pick sidesBig Grin.

Recently, I have stopped saying the lords prayer at the end of the game. It has been a tradition of the school for years. I never really thought about it, but now with my belief changing, it seems very hypocritical of me to pray to a god that I dont believe is there.

I dont believe, as a coach, I should influence the boys one way or another about their faith. I never did as a christian. To the point if they asked about my faith, I would tell them it had no bearing on how we play. Now I still believe I should not influence them. A few have noticed me not praying. Should I bow my head anyway? Or is that just being hypocritical?...something I despise now in christians.

Any and all input is welcomed!

people from different teams always pray to win the super bowl when they do they thank god and not their hard work and practice. Hungry homeless god prays to god for food gets neither food and shelte.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(October 31, 2014 at 3:18 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Erm, if you're a coach employed by the school, leading the players in the lord's prayer isn't just morally icky, it's illegal (in public schools).

It is a public school! I am not the head coach...whew BUT it is North Carolina
It's still illegal. School employees (the coaches) can't use school resources (fields, intercom systems, locker rooms, etc that are publicly paid for) to endorse a religion (saying the lord's prayer with the kids). The students can do it on their own as much as they want, the coaches can lead the prayers somewhere else after the game, the audience can do it as much as they want. Coaches can't, as they are acting as employees for a public school.

(as far as I understand the law, at least)
- Thomas Jefferson
I think religion and sports are almost the same thing.
people gather at a certain place at a certain time en mass, they hope, despite the evidence for a certain outcome.
They show devotion beyond what it is reasonable to expect and elevate people to positions beyond what could possibly be justified.

Sports IS religion.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Something in the way you described the situation leads me to believe you aren't the head coach. Only makes a difference in what courses of action are available to you. Either way I wouldn't bow my head or recite the prayer. I would have no problem being respectful of the tradition though.

The prayer at the end of practice does serve a non-religious function. I always considered it a means of ensuring cohesiveness of the team after spending the afternoon taking each others' heads off. There are secular ways to do this of course.

One way is to replace the prayer with an anecdote demonstrating esprit de corps. Share the history of the game by providing examples of historic gridiron battles that reflect the relative disposition between your team and the upcoming opponent. Are you rallying an underdog to face a superior squad? Are you afraid of a trap game against a weaker, but potentially dangerous team? Do they know who Vince Lombardi is other than his name being on the Super Bowl trophy? There's so much to choose from.

Take the opportunity to address the kids about general behavior, particularly in light of the fact that renowned players are constantly making the news for off the field asshattery. It never escapes my attention when famous players fondly recall the influence that great coaches had on their personal development.

Anyway, food for thought.
Better off praying for no concussions to your players....because helmets don't do shit.

Personally, I'm always struck by the flagrant egotism of xtian fools who think 'god' (if there were a god) would give a shit about a football game.
(October 31, 2014 at 3:42 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Better off praying for no concussions to your players....because helmets don't do shit.

Personally, I'm always struck by the flagrant egotism of xtian fools who think 'god' (if there were a god) would give a shit about a football game.

It IS a lovely example of the sharpshooter fallacy though. Players sign the cross and point up the sky after every touchdown, but don't say a damn thing when the opponents score a touchdown.
- Thomas Jefferson
That is why I never prayed to win the game. I was afraid if we didn't win, god would have loved the other team more! (seriously)

We only say the prayer after the game, not after each practice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OK Bill to allow parents to sue teachers if they teach anything that opposes religion Cecelia 28 2043 February 20, 2022 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Countries that speak a different language to the religion they are aligned with flag UniverseCaptain 25 1628 October 3, 2021 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 6469 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care) Veritas_Vincit 166 20293 June 30, 2016 at 1:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10730 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4907 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19827 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49327 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Sports entangled with religion Foxaèr 3 853 April 16, 2014 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5187 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused