Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
do you believe one religion is better
do you believe one religion is better
It has come to my attention that some atheists (while believing all religion to be false) somehow believe one religion can truly be better than the other. Do you believe any religion can truly be better than another? Why? Or why not?

(Please try to identify your beliefs when answering if you can atheist/agnostic/Christian/ Muslim/ etc)
RE: do you believe one religion is better
(November 6, 2014 at 3:25 am)simplemoss Wrote: It has come to my attention that some atheists (while believing all religion to be false) somehow believe one religion can truly be better than the other. Do you believe any religion can truly be better than another? Why? Or why not?

(Please try to identify your beliefs when answering if you can atheist/agnostic/Christian/ Muslim/ etc)

I am an atheist.

It's difficult to judge the main religions of the world on the basis of being better or worse.

I think for some individuals religion can be helpful, maybe if someone stops drinking and violence because they believe Muhammad will give them a telling off when they die and not allow them to go into the magical theme park of paradise.

But I do think overall world wide religion is like a set of two dangerous crutches, and it would benefit humanity if the crutches could be kicked out from underneath us, even if it takes a lot of effort to stand up straight and walk after without them.

This is just because I think any rational person can look at any modern religion and tell they're all just basically blends of old ancient myths, creation stories and so on. I personally find comfort in rationality in day to day life. Maybe when I'm on my last legs, and I'm dying and full of morphine in a hospital bed I'll find comfort in the magic theme park theory, who knows.

I haven't bothered to research all the religions in the world but to me the word religion is just another word for cult. People in these cults usually believe in myths. And that's worse than not believing in myths, overall I think.

As for the two main religions of the world.

Christianity, worse for the fact it makes me depressed about the level of ridiculous stories people will believe, and to a lesser extent the violence.

Islam, Mainly worried in this day and age about the violence from Islam, and also the stupidity of people who believe in the stories but the quran is more vague than the bible and I guess to make makes it slightly less ridiculous. There's less dinosaur denial and young earth believers within the Muslim world, but dinosaur acceptance and a more accurate time line of the world's history isn't much comfort when you're being threatened to be shot or beheaded because you're an infidel.

I guess some people might say the religions that have less of a culture of violence around them than Islam and Christianity are better, but then humans are violent, a lot of atheists are violent.
A non violent religion might just subdue a group of people into becoming perfect victims for a group of violent people. I suspect this would be a more likely case than a non violent religion taking over the world and bringing world peace.

In conclusion I'd say whatever is the most rational non mythical non magical belief system is better, but as far as I know all religions are mystical and magical.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(November 6, 2014 at 3:25 am)simplemoss Wrote: It has come to my attention that some atheists (while believing all religion to be false) somehow believe one religion can truly be better than the other. Do you believe any religion can truly be better than another? Why? Or why not?

No, but I believe some are worse.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Fuck all religion. That should cover the topic in sufficient detail.
I find Mormon/LDS particularly worse due to the inexplicable success Joseph Smith achieved with an absolute MINIMUM of talent in regards to scamming and bullshitting.

Additionally, Mormon/LDS has schismed over 100 times and I find that 'damning' evidence of Smith's connivance.

As for the actual topic (better as opposed to worse) i might give a nod to Unitarian Universalists, they have pretty much deleted all trappings of religion from their faith. Might give #2 status to the Jain.

The correct answer to the OP:

the only 'opinion' that matters is God's. Why He keeps His choice of the One True Faith a total fucking mystery is a total fucking mystery.
(November 6, 2014 at 10:26 am)vorlon13 Wrote: the only 'opinion' that matters is God's. Why He keeps His choice of the One True Faith a total fucking mystery is a total fucking mystery.

I have my own little atheist theory on that. He's like a scientist watching an ant colony.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Are you a biting or a stinging ant ???

Wink Shades
One that doesn't try and force itself on those that don't espouse it, be it through physical or emotional indoctrination and violence.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
No, no religion is better than another. Billions of years from now our planet's core will die, all life on this planet will die, if we do not get hit by a meteor before, which is highly likely considering 5 mass extinctions.

Religion is a distortion to comic book levels hijacking politics. It is nothing but an excuse to create a group in order to gain control over resources to maximize offspring.
No. They all suck.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism? vulcanlogician 147 7790 April 5, 2022 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Is Satan better than God? Disagreeable 37 2587 January 31, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 23966 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3825 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2536 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  It's not religion..believe me. It's something else WinterHold 49 7008 November 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How you know religion has done its job in brainwashing you: Foxaèr 19 2751 August 9, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4041 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  I am a better person than God! chimp3 56 10356 May 24, 2018 at 1:07 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7877 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus