Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does this sound too much like organized religion?
Does this sound too much like organized religion?
Unfortunately, I don't have the link but there was an article written about an atheist group on the west coast who decided that they were going to start educating their children in the manner of Sunday School. Of course, it wouldn't be teaching Bible scriptures and stuff but atheist "fundamentals" - something like that. The group was concerned that while Christians were giving their children something on Sunday, children from atheist parents would somehow be losing out.

What do you think of this? Sounds like these folks are modeling after organized religion without the Bible preaching and stuff.
RE: Does this sound too much like organized religion?
I'm gratefull for any parent who tries to teach their child anything without the use of a T.V.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(February 11, 2010 at 5:30 am)tackattack Wrote: I'm gratefull for any parent who tries to teach their child anything without the use of a T.V.

But to sit them in a classroom on Sunday? These atheist parents are going about it in all the wrong ways. They're doing the very thing that they're accusing Christians of doing - spoon-feeding children with their beliefs. Is it really necessary for them to rally the children into a group under some Sunday School Atheist teacher?

I really wish I had the link. It was written awhile back.
I think it is a preposterous idea... the next thing we'll hear about is a Sunday School Aracist teacher.

Scrap sunday school... 5 days of school a week should be plenty.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(February 11, 2010 at 5:30 am)tackattack Wrote: I'm gratefull for any parent who tries to teach their child anything without the use of a T.V.
Teaching is generally something to be grateful for.

(February 11, 2010 at 5:44 am)starbucks Wrote: But to sit them in a classroom on Sunday? These atheist parents are going about it in all the wrong ways. They're doing the very thing that they're accusing Christians of doing - spoon-feeding children with their beliefs. Is it really necessary for them to rally the children into a group under some Sunday School Atheist teacher?

I really wish I had the link. It was written awhile back.

If the spoon-fed information was critical thought, does it qualify in the same vein as unsubstantiated claims that Christians make?

By your logic, something like Camp Quest is just as bad as any Christian summer camp, despite that one holds critical thought discussions, holds to a strict anti-discrimination policy and invites a variety of speakers from different faiths as opposed to a monolithic grouping which dedicates arts and crafts to some imaginary friend without any proof and is usually centered on a belief to the detriment of all others.

Don't bother claiming that a lack of belief constitutes a belief - I will shoot back at you that the usual logic in that statement would be the assertion then that bald is a hair color and not-collecting-stamps is a hobby.
(February 11, 2010 at 5:27 am)starbucks Wrote: What do you think of this? Sounds like these folks are modeling after organized religion without the Bible preaching and stuff.

If it is as you portray it, then it sounds like a really awful idea to me. As I told the nice lady from the Camp Quest post, there is a fine line between teaching children how to think and teaching them what to think, and one should never lose sight of that.

A link would be nice though.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
It all depends on what they are actually teaching. You didn't post anything other than hearsay, so I can't make a critical comment. Like Syn said, if they are being taught critical thinking like at Camp Quest, I have no problem with it.
With an anti theist agenda critical thinking can mean the censorship of ideas.
Critical thinking with an agenda isn't critical thinking.
Then it'd be a critical thinking school and not an atheist school. What's being suggested is an atheist school teaching critical thinking.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is God hiding? or are our eyes too inferior? WinterHold 49 5153 February 10, 2023 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  [Serious] What does religion have to offer? EgoDeath 53 5643 August 3, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sound Vaguely Familiar? Minimalist 3 622 October 24, 2018 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: no one
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10907 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Are introverts less likely to like organised religion? Der/die AtheistIn 8 1340 March 22, 2018 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Too Funny! Minimalist 14 2470 November 23, 2017 at 6:59 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Aslem's argument is sound! Mystic 12 1957 March 19, 2017 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20922 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  [4.1 SECOND Conversion] (without weird fonts too!) ignoramus 59 5032 January 22, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10744 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue