Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming out stories
Question 
Coming out stories
Anybody have any good atheist coming out stories when you finally told your family youre an atheist?

I was raised in an italian american catholic home (only in name) I did communion and confirmation and all that shit but in all honesty that was probably the only 2 times I've ever been in church since baptism. My family does not go to church. So when I alerted my family nobody gave a fuuuuuuuuuuuck. I mentioned it in passing and you would've thought i asked if there was milk in the house. My parents shrugged and said "ok" and my pops chuckled a little.

Personally my story is not interesting but i have heard from many other people that told their family that they were atheist when they were young and it didnt turn out well. Anybody
RE: Coming out stories
I haven't come out. I don't know that I ever will.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(November 18, 2014 at 3:22 am)YoungCapitalist Wrote: So when I alerted my family nobody gave a fuuuuuuuuuuuck. I mentioned it in passing and you would've thought i asked if there was milk in the house. My parents shrugged and said "ok" and my pops chuckled a little.

Personally my story is not interesting but i have heard from many other people that told their family that they were atheist when they were young and it didnt turn out well. Anybody

I like your story .. and your family.
(November 18, 2014 at 3:22 am)YoungCapitalist Wrote: Anybody have any good atheist coming out stories when you finally told your family youre an atheist?

I was raised in an italian american catholic home (only in name) I did communion and confirmation and all that shit but in all honesty that was probably the only 2 times I've ever been in church since baptism. My family does not go to church. So when I alerted my family nobody gave a fuuuuuuuuuuuck. I mentioned it in passing and you would've thought i asked if there was milk in the house. My parents shrugged and said "ok" and my pops chuckled a little.

An atheist came out of a bar, Mazel Tov!

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
I wish had your family OP. Sounds awesome haha. However gotta say I love having deep conversations with my family.

I have realized I was an atheist since maybe 14ish years old. Around 16/17 I started talking to my mom and brother about it. My brother shares my world view and we share everything so it is all good. My mom is great and I think she shares most of my views of the world only with an impossibly positive great spin to avoid conflict.

The thing for me was my dad. He comes from a hardcore catholic family. We are talking french catholic so hard that my grandparents were actually in a catholic cult for a while. He comes from the most religious family ever. Which probably plays a huge part in his not enforcing religion on me. Which I am greatly happy about. It allowed me to explore me own views.

However it was only last year (at 24) that I was able to "come out" to my dad. I was upset at him and threw my atheism in his face. And in complete opposition of logic he didn't disown me. While my father is not really a "practicing" catholic he still believes. When I did this I was completely not prepared for the conversation but it was still a great one. Now I have sooooo much more ammo I seriously cannot wait for round 2 (which will happen at Xmas this year).

But it's just another topic to discuss. If your religous/non-religious believes alienate your family they were not worth your love in the first place. My father is still religious but I still love him. Love goes further than petty squabbles like that. In fact I love having discussions about life/afterline/morals/god(s) with him. We go back and forth and it's so much fun and interesting. It has in fact brought us closer our discussions about the world around us and the meaning of life. We've never had real discussions like those, we have never been closer even when I was living under his house.

You'll probably never agree 100% with anybody in this world. If you can use your disagreements to become closer with the people you love it only makes you stronger.
“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.”

― Mark Twain
I was mostly spared a religious family. :-) My grandmother was devoutly religious and my brother has become religious. Grandma kinda knew no one else shared her religion, at least until my brother married a religious person and became religious as well. Makes me kinda sad really. Must have made her feel very alone, unable to share what gave her so much joy. :-(
(November 18, 2014 at 3:22 am)YoungCapitalist Wrote: Anybody have any good atheist coming out stories when you finally told your family youre an atheist?

I had the same kind of background and family as yours...maybe even better because my mom was a methodist or some such shit. That meant my dad married a non-catholic in the 1930's so you can see how seriously he took that shit.

The only time it was ever an issue was when we decided not to have my first son baptized. Not that they gave a shit about the church but they wanted to have a party and were concerned with what other people would think. So, no big deal.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coming Out TheJefe817 8 1156 April 1, 2023 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  (Sensitivity required) Coming out to someone SlowCalculations 12 1772 October 27, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  List of religious end times/Second coming of Jesus predictions purplepurpose 13 4174 November 22, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If the Bible is false, why are its prophecies coming true? pgardner2358 3 1641 June 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Famous people losing their religion: stories Fake Messiah 14 2775 May 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5537 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  It's coming up to that time of year again... The Valkyrie 40 12307 September 23, 2017 at 11:49 am
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7050 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
  what do you think about immortality coming? Rextos 61 7795 March 6, 2016 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Cato
  Demons coming down... Veritas 32 7098 December 25, 2015 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Alex K