Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do you think about immortality coming?
what do you think about immortality coming?
http://www.livescience.com/6967-hang-25-...ality.html

been reading about how they saying in 25 years or so science may have the cure for aging and disease. kinda scary imo, even as a born again atheist i feel the idea of living forever in heaven would suck and even here on earth i feel it would suck because first of all i don't see it going well, objectively speaking humans are the worst thing to happen to this planet, and with population spikes things would get crazy fast, and if the government and etc tried implementing any population controls, lot of people would freak out and push for anarchy, which would make things even more crazy!

i kinda look forward to dying because it reminds me that no matter how bad things get in life, i'm only here for a short matter of time so i just try to make the best of things. sometimes i worry what if this world isn't real and its an illusionary hell for me and im actually gonna suffer forever, but then when i see my body get sick i remind myself of my own mortality, unless its just an illusion of me getting sick to make it look more real :S

but im kinda worried if they somehow use the initial immortality test serums in a flu shot or something and i am stuck here forever :S

i think i read earlier about a guy who got some experimental drug and has not been able to sleep in 42 years, he is like 72 now!!
RE: what do you think about immortality coming?
Stoner, is that you?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 3, 2016 at 9:01 am)abaris Wrote: Stoner, is that you?

nah im more of a drinker, though maybe if they legalize it here :Big Grin though from my highschool experiences it always made me so sleepy i never really "enjoyed" it.
You couldn't get me far enough away from that shit.

No way I want to live forever.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
So-called immortality in the context you are using it means freedom from biological limitations. You could live forever in theory - as long as you don't get run over by a train or some anti-immortality activist murders you. Certainly there wouldn't be anything stopping you from terminating your own life.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(March 3, 2016 at 9:46 am)AFTT47 Wrote: So-called immortality in the context you are using it means freedom from biological limitations. You could live forever in theory - as long as you don't get run over by a train or some anti-immortality activist murders you. Certainly there wouldn't be anything stopping you from terminating your own life.

Pretty much this. It would mean your body won't break down. It doesn't mean you can't be killed, or kill yourself. I see no issue, except with overpopulation. Humans are fast breeders, after all.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

ideally i would like to die around 30 or 40, id hate to get super old and die slowly like that... but it would suck to not die naturally because imagine if you went to kill yourself, but then you survived and became paralyzed for life and unable to die? and if nobody killed you it would be Possibly an eternal existence in stasis, closest thing to a real eternal hell!
(March 3, 2016 at 10:02 am)Rextos Wrote: ideally i would like to die around 30 or 40, id hate to get super old and die slowly like that...  but it would suck to not die naturally because imagine if you went to kill yourself, but then you survived and became paralyzed for life and unable to die? and if nobody killed you it would be Possibly an eternal existence in stasis, closest thing to a real eternal hell!

We will cure aging but may never cure stupid. If dieing is important to you, get it right!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Haha, what's up with these kids who think dying at 30 the latest is a great idea. People seriously lack imagination what to do with their lives. I'd need ten lives to do all the shit I'd like to do.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Too late for me, I've already lost the ones I wanted to grow old with.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 5393 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3084 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Coming Out TheJefe817 8 1155 April 1, 2023 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 987 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  (Sensitivity required) Coming out to someone SlowCalculations 12 1768 October 27, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 7038 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 7338 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  List of religious end times/Second coming of Jesus predictions purplepurpose 13 4173 November 22, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If the Bible is false, why are its prophecies coming true? pgardner2358 3 1641 June 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5536 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik