Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apathetic and Atheist, What does it even matter?
Apathetic and Atheist, What does it even matter?
I used to be a pretty angry. In fact, I used to be angrier than what can be apparent in some of my older posts but now, I'm becoming rather apathetic.

I have pretty thin skin and can be pretty impulsive emotionally. I used to pretty committed to philosophical argument and militant atheism. But now, who cares?

The argument has been won. The religious are losing ground. After Hitchens and Dawkins, I find it hard to see if there is more to add to the argument. Those who havent changed their minds yet, wont.

I have a pretty simple protocol if argument and intense anger is necessary again:

1) Are the religious on my door step and obnoxious about it?
2) Are the religious affecting my education?
3) Are the religious affecting my happiness directly as to prevent me from being happy?
4) Are the religious pushing a political agenda and winning?

If this isn't happening, who cares?

Anyone seen Merlin? Recall when Merlin and everyone else in the movie decide to ignore Queen Mab and she disappears?

I think if more people chose to pull a blind eye to the stupidity of religion, less people will find it important to follow dogma. I think sometimes unnecessary aggressive discussion just creates more theist "martyrs", which is bad for the growth of secular opinion.

And then there is music, art, movies, games, fairs, literature...all of which unify people (most). Its funny to think that the same theist I absolutely hate can enjoy the same art and music with me.

Fuck being unhappy because some people are intellectually deficient.

I hope some day I can really abide by this. I really need to move beyond the popular theist opinion that has caused a good deal of confusion.

I'm 21, I hope one day I can be like Neil Degrasse Tyson, and just enjoy what really matters and only get involved when necessary. I've been an open atheist for about 11 months now. I'm sure clarity will soon develop.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Apathetic and Atheist, What does it even matter?
trust me being a atheist is going to make you unhappy but doing things you love will make life better.
i hope that helps. Also friends just look past them being theists some of my friends now are leaning more agnostic
those are the good types to have.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I agree that being angry in itself is not helpful, and that trying to develop a balanced mindset is healthy. Anger can provide motivation though, if kept under control. It's your body's way of telling you that shit is fucked up. I also agree that it is up to each atheist how much they wish to delve into religious discussion, reform or other forms of action. I think no less of anyone that just wants nothing to do with it all and to get on with their life. (Not that I'm setting myself up as some sort of judge! Just saying how I see things.)

Personally I choose to get involved in debates because I am fully aware, more now than ever, of the atrocious harm religion has done and continues to do. Top of my list would be murders/rape/pillaging, followed by indoctrination which I equate with child abuse. If by talking about these things and expressing my opinion I can go some slight way to improve the situation, it is worthwhile for me. Even if I only get one person to think a bit. I know it can happen, and that many now-atheists are grateful for those who spoke up and got them to actually think and question.

I'm not sure exactly what this militant atheism is all about. I don't generally advocate getting in people's faces. But I must say with ISIS or whatever they want to be called it seems to me that the time of reason is over and I don't know what else can be done than to wipe them out. If there is any peaceful solution, I hope it is found before things get to all-out warfare. But there's never going to be peace or freedom with those insane zealots having any kind of power. So in such extreme cases, I understand the need to "get in their face" as they are actively doing massive and obvious harm.

I will continue to argue that moderates are giving them cover and validation though. I'm not going to get in people's faces about that, but I'm going to voice my opinion where appropriate. If you're nothing to do with them, don't use the same name and violent instruction manual and call it peaceful.

So for me, maybe I can't do much in the grand scheme, but I want to try. I respect your choice to have nothing to do with the whole childish thing though.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 19, 2014 at 11:40 pm)dyresand Wrote: trust me being a atheist is going to make you unhappy but doing things you love will make life better.

Depends on the person. Atheism does not make me unhappy.
(November 20, 2014 at 6:32 am)Irrational Wrote:
(November 19, 2014 at 11:40 pm)dyresand Wrote: trust me being a atheist is going to make you unhappy but doing things you love will make life better.

Depends on the person. Atheism does not make me unhappy.

all depends for me it was like i sort of believed in god as a kid
then looked at it studied it used the scientific method and even used
aol. then i was like there is no god.... im pissed and sort of sad i was lied to... so hey i grew out of it friends and video games helped a lot, even bike riding and sports.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1437 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3395 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  God, Energy and Matter Lek 323 24178 October 15, 2019 at 1:58 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  No Financial Inclusion Today! No Financial Inclusion Tomarrah! Or For Eternity, Even mascale 21 2081 August 12, 2019 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4629 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Response to Darkmatter2525 ""Why Does Anything Matter?" Eik0932 23 2836 September 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Does Atheism Matter If You're A Slave? freezone 2 1263 November 28, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
Rainbow Matter and energy can be past-eternal ManofYesterday 172 57115 July 3, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Even in darkest times here is something that made me smile dyresand 3 1940 May 17, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5151 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus