Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God, Energy and Matter
God, Energy and Matter
I'm more of a philosopher than a scientist, but I'm taking what I understand from science and I'm philosophizing. If energy and matter cannot be created or destroyed, that means that they share an intrinsic quality with God. They have always existed with no beginning, and they will continue to exist into infinity. Those are qualities are also given to God. Could this match up in any way with a pantheistic understanding of the universe? If I use science as a basis for my understanding, there couldn't have been an occasion when nothing existed, so energy and matter could not have been created.
RE: God, Energy and Matter
Always remember - humans made up those laws - and while they do seem valid - it is something we made up. It didn't come in the universe's owner's manual.

Much like that God fella....
(August 21, 2019 at 9:31 pm)Lek Wrote: I'm more of a philosopher than a scientist, but I'm taking what I understand from science and I'm philosophizing. If energy and matter cannot be created or destroyed, that means that they share an intrinsic quality with God. They have always existed with no beginning, and they will continue to exist into infinity. Those are qualities are also given to God. Could this match up in any way with a pantheistic understanding of the universe? If I use science as a basis for my understanding, there couldn't have been an occasion when nothing existed, so energy and matter could not have been created.

Sure, but this would be a far departure from fundamentalist Christianity.
(August 21, 2019 at 9:36 pm)Grandizer Wrote:
(August 21, 2019 at 9:31 pm)Lek Wrote: I'm more of a philosopher than a scientist, but I'm taking what I understand from science and I'm philosophizing. If energy and matter cannot be created or destroyed, that means that they share an intrinsic quality with God. They have always existed with no beginning, and they will continue to exist into infinity. Those are qualities are also given to God. Could this match up in any way with a pantheistic understanding of the universe? If I use science as a basis for my understanding, there couldn't have been an occasion when nothing existed, so energy and matter could not have been created.

Sure, but this would be a far departure from fundamentalist Christianity.

Yes it would.

(August 21, 2019 at 9:35 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Always remember - humans made up those laws - and while they do seem valid - it is something we made up. It didn't come in the universe's owner's manual.

That means we can't rely on science for the truth, since humans made up the laws. They could be wrong.
Hi Lek, haven't seen you in a while.

God is a man made concept only, energy and matter are not a concept, they actually exist. You can't rationally combine the three.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 21, 2019 at 9:56 pm)wyzas Wrote: Hi Lek, haven't seen you in a while.

God is a man made concept only, energy and matter are not a concept, they actually exist. You can't rationally combine the three.

Yeah. I've been on quite a spiritual journey for the last couple years. So do you think it is possible for energy and matter to be infinitely existent?
The energy would always exist, but matter can come and go.

You could think of it like water. As the environment changes, water in it's gaseous form slows down and becomes a liquid.
As the environment changes even more, it can become ice.

In a closed system, energy has no where to go, so it must persist.
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
(August 21, 2019 at 9:31 pm)Lek Wrote: I'm more of a philosopher than a scientist, but I'm taking what I understand from science and I'm philosophizing.  If energy and matter cannot be  created or destroyed, that means that they share an intrinsic quality with God.  They have always existed with no beginning, and they will continue to exist into infinity.  Those are qualities are also given to God.  Could this match up in any way with a pantheistic understanding of the universe?  If I use science as a basis for my understanding, there couldn't have been an occasion when nothing existed, so energy and matter could not have been created.

If there couldn’t have been an occasion when nothing existed, and matter itself has always existed, then god is completely unnecessary.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
According to pantheism the universe is God. God became the universe.
(August 21, 2019 at 9:49 pm)Lek Wrote:
(August 21, 2019 at 9:36 pm)Grandizer Wrote: Sure, but this would be a far departure from fundamentalist Christianity.

Yes it would.

(August 21, 2019 at 9:35 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Always remember - humans made up those laws - and while they do seem valid - it is something we made up. It didn't come in the universe's owner's manual.

That means we can't rely on science for the truth, since humans made up the laws. They could be wrong.
Truth is a greased pig.

Hard to capture and usually heading in a direction you hadn't quite expected.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Response to Darkmatter2525 ""Why Does Anything Matter?" Eik0932 23 2838 September 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Does Atheism Matter If You're A Slave? freezone 2 1263 November 28, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
Rainbow Matter and energy can be past-eternal ManofYesterday 172 57121 July 3, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5159 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
Question Atheists: would proof of the resurrection matter to you? robvalue 55 16436 July 19, 2015 at 6:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Apathetic and Atheist, What does it even matter? LivingNumbers6.626 4 1902 November 21, 2014 at 12:25 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Gingers don't have souls! (or anyone else for that matter) Sejanus 4 1842 November 22, 2013 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Sejanus
  Doesn't Matter Where....and It Doesn't Matter When... Minimalist 5 2258 July 9, 2012 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Opsnyder
  Help with a personal matter Vin047 11 3064 April 11, 2010 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: chatpilot
  Dark Matter: g-mark 3 1715 May 14, 2009 at 11:25 am
Last Post: g-mark