Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 7:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spirituality and the Brain
Spirituality and the Brain
Spirituality is probably just all in your head, check this story out:

http://www.livescience.com/health/spirit...00211.html

Quote:Scientists have identified areas of the brain that, when damaged, lead to greater spirituality. The findings hint at the roots of spiritual and religious attitudes, the researchers say.

While looking up the effects of schizophrenia, among other mental disorders I found fascinating, there were a lot of indications that schizophrenics have a tendency to cling to spirituality and religion. I wouldn't go so far to say that theism = mental disorder but spirituality seems to be a mental disorder.

Quote:The study, published in the Feb. 11 issue of the journal Neuron, involves a personality trait called self-transcendence, which is a somewhat vague measure of spiritual feeling, thinking, and behaviors. Self-transcendence "reflects a decreased sense of self and an ability to identify one's self as an integral part of the universe as a whole," the researchers explain.

"Self-transcendence" seems like a bad thing to me; and to think that the trancendental meditation movement was aimed at increasing these feelings. "The Secret" is aimed at the same noodly goal, disconnecting one's self from true causality and expecting the "universe" to respond to the vague concept of positive or negative energy.

Narf,
Rhizo
RE: Spirituality and the Brain
(February 13, 2010 at 11:56 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: "Self-transcendence" seems like a bad thing to me; and to think that the trancendental meditation movement was aimed at increasing these feelings.
Why?

Matrhematics is also all in the head. Does that make it a bad thing?
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
PR,

Where in my post do I say that self-trancendance is a bad thing because it is all in your head?

Self-trancendence defined as, "reflects a decreased sense of self and an ability to identify one's self as an integral part of the universe as a whole" seems like a bad idea to me. Before we can understand how we fit into the grand scheme, it is important to be able to know who we really are. Seeking to disconnect from ourselves is a bad idea. It is better to see interactions for what they really are.

Mathematics is something you will need to hash out with Adrian. Smile

Rhizo
(February 13, 2010 at 1:17 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Where in my post do I say that self-trancendance is a bad thing because it is all in your head?

Self-trancendence defined as, "reflects a decreased sense of self and an ability to identify one's self as an integral part of the universe as a whole" seems like a bad idea to me. Before we can understand how we fit into the grand scheme, it is important to be able to know who we really are. Seeking to disconnect from ourselves is a bad idea. It is better to see interactions for what they really are.
I see no harm in that. Isn't naturalism in essence the view that we are an integral part of just one substance of reality? Right now I'm reading "Being No One" by Thomas Metzinger. He presents a fascinating model of consciousness completely rooted in modern science. His view amounts to the stance that identity and free will is a construct of the brain, hence the title. Also, as I've claimed before, there is such a thing as naturalistic spirituality, a feeling of awe and unity with nature that these deep scientific insights can evoke. I see no harm in that, moreover such experiences and insights might enhance our ability to base our actions on more reasonable naturalistic grounds. I have been listening to this podcast at Reasonable Doubts I recommend to you. I think its implications are awesome.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/reasonabl..._clark.mp3

Rhizomorph13 Wrote:Mathematics is something you will need to hash out with Adrian. Smile
I'm right onto it, but I don't know if Adrian is willing to really critically examine the points I've presented.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
That doesn't sound like it would entertain me, get me laid, or make me money! Tongue

One thing I have noticed about being atheistic is I feel no need to constantly reaffirm my disbelief. I come to this forum because it kicks ass. There are many cool people here and interesting discussions in which I can participate. I find it interesting that some of the members have read so many books on atheism. I did read, "The God Delusion" just because people here kept refering to it, and I might pick up a copy of, "50 reasons people give for believing in a god" because it might be a good book to help my parents understand my belief.

I'll keep Reasonable Doubts as a link and I'll check it out!

Thanks,
Rhizo
At this point I'm more inclined to ponder how on Earth the podcast url got converted into an actual embedded player than whether mathematics is supernatural.
Its a good thing! I just clicked and listened, so what if it is not working as intended. I, the customer, likes it! It is much less disturbing than having a youtube link expand to a player in the shoutbox!
(February 13, 2010 at 3:24 pm)Tiberius Wrote: At this point I'm more inclined to ponder how on Earth the podcast url got converted into an actual embedded player than whether mathematics is supernatural.
Isn't that supposed to have happened?
(February 13, 2010 at 4:19 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote:
(February 13, 2010 at 3:24 pm)Tiberius Wrote: At this point I'm more inclined to ponder how on Earth the podcast url got converted into an actual embedded player than whether mathematics is supernatural.
Isn't that supposed to have happened?
I thought my surprise at the fact it had would have given you the answer to that.
Somtimes answers somehow need verification.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man completely paralyzed by ALS asks for a beer via brain implant TaraJo 14 1099 March 26, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established Fake Messiah 9 1001 November 18, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Screen time and the preschool brain brewer 8 774 November 6, 2019 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  The brain Drich 140 17497 May 15, 2019 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Human brain genes in monkeys popeyespappy 5 534 April 12, 2019 at 5:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Diets according to brain biologist from Russia purplepurpose 10 1821 November 15, 2018 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Religion Wires the Brain to Believe Nonsense Devout-Humanist 4 1061 October 17, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Pedophilia Brain Defect brewer 26 11455 June 8, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The connection between religion and neuropsychological processes in the human brain Aroura 9 2271 March 10, 2017 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Brain with David Eagleman Mudhammam 4 1458 November 6, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan