Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any vegetarians? Should I become one?
Any vegetarians? Should I become one?
Hello. I have schizoaffective disorder, and I started a medicine in March that made me gain 80 pounds in a month or two. I weight 245 right now. Anyway, I was wondering if vegetarianism was a healthy way to lose weight? I'm not a huge meat guy anyway. I'm not necessarily anti-meat eating or anything. Sure, I love animals, but people are going to continue eating animals regardless of what I do. Anyway, any input would be nice.

Jace
RE: Any vegetarians? Should I become one?
Hey ho,

I'm vegetarian (not vegan) and of course since I do it for ethical/emotional reasons I'll be all for it, as long as you pay attention to a few nutritional issues. HOWEVER, it is not immediately obvious that a vegetarian diet automatically makes you or helps you lose weight. Sometimes the opposite is observed, people who do not know how to cook properly eat *worse* upon becoming vegetarian because of the more limited options. I think however that becoming vegetarian might help you lose weight for a simple reason: you are forced to think more about what you eat, and this heightened awareness might automatically help you control calories. Do you cook for yourself, live with parents or partner, or mostly eat out or takeaway?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 22, 2014 at 2:18 pm)Alex K Wrote: Hey ho,

I'm vegetarian (not vegan) and of course since I do it for ethical/emotional reasons I'll be all for it, as long as you pay attention to a few nutritional issues. HOWEVER, it is not immediately obvious that a vegetarian diet automatically makes you or helps you lose weight. Sometimes the opposite is observed, people who do not know how to cook properly eat *worse* upon becoming vegetarian because of the more limited options. I think however that becoming vegetarian might help you lose weight for a simple reason: you are forced to think more about what you eat, and this heightened awareness might automatically help you control calories. Do you cook for yourself, live with parents or partner, or mostly eat out or takeaway?

I'm 16. I live with my mother. Do you have nutrition tips? Such as foods to replace the protein, and some good recipe ideas. I'm not gonna eat wheat either. Wheat isn't good for you. Well, with me anyway. I know that from experience. Vegetables, eggs, fruits, etc
No wheat might be a problem, it's an important protein source. Do you think you have trouble with glutene? Classical alternative Protein sources are pulses, Soy of course. You have to watch out for your iron and b12 which are plentiful in meat. If you're not vegan, they can be supplied via dairy products or eggs. There are some good online resources...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

I just heard on the radio yesterday how Quinoa is incredibly high in protein. I've had it. Decent taste, possibly a good substitute?

But, as a gardener, I have to say .. think of the plants! Are they not alive? Don't be a kingdom-ist, favoring animals over plants just because we are one. Wink
Won't someone think of the fungi!

Vegetarianism in and of itself will do nothing to make you lose weight. Calorie control (regardless of what exactly is in that diet) and exercise are the only really proven way to lose weight. Do you enjoy exercise?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
The only thing you have to remember about losing weight is that you have to burn off more than you put in (and that's pretty much different for every different individual). I have no clue how to figure it out so you should use some generic calorie counters online and become well versed in calorie counting. You didn't put on weight as a result of the drug directly, but as a result of it increasing your appetite.

It could be veggies, or meat, or sweet or starch or a combination of all kinds of different foods but as long you're eating less than your body is able to burn you'll lose weight.
Also gotta watch out with soy as a substitute for meat. Think of it more like the little pieces of egg in a salad, rather than the hunks of grilled chicken on the side. Of course, if you have ethical issues with meat - you probably ought to stay away from soy entirely, but that's a whole different discussion.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Thanks for the replies. For me, personally, calories count, but I don't count my calories. If I just did a vegetable and protein diet, no wheat, and no sugar, I woud lose weight. However, this medicine makes it hard not to snack.

Jace

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3254 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2734 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  What made you become an atheist? Atomic Lava 69 6159 December 12, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What made you become an atheist? Handprint 170 46248 October 3, 2018 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92782 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  How did u become an atheist? Lebneni Murtad 52 10077 April 6, 2017 at 1:21 am
Last Post: surreptitious57
  Any Atheists here who at one time denied evolution? Cecelia 14 3102 February 17, 2016 at 4:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How did you become an atheist? Excited Penguin 256 33066 December 26, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Leaving cards with one Bible verse and one Quran verse for people to discover? ReptilianPeon 7 2357 November 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  When, Where, How and Why did you become Atheist? bambi_swag 122 27380 October 18, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: robvalue