Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you become an atheist?
How did you become an atheist?
So, can you tell us about how you became an atheist? Was it a process or an instance when you dropped your god belief? Did someone help you along, or influence you? Or maybe you were always an atheist? Please share your story.

Also, if you could address whether or not you discovered since you became an atheist that you had other irrational beliefs besides the belief in a God, and what you did about those.

Feel free to answer however you like. These are just guidelines. But I'm basically asking about your atheism(and maybe about your skepticism), so to speak.
RE: Why are you an atheist?
I found the idea of god belief increasingly repulsive, and by the time I was 14, I was quite certain that the feeling was justified.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

This is probably like the 100th thread about this. Possibly a bit less but possibly a lot more!

Why am I an atheist? Because I have never believed in a god. How did I become an atheist? By being born.
Never had a god belief to drop, never seen any evidence of any gods, demons, goblins or pixies
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I was always a skeptic.

I require demonstrable evidence and reasoned argument to accept the claims that I believe.

It hit me, when I was in my mid 20's, that I was not applying the same level of skeptical scrutiny to my god beliefs as I was for other beliefs.

In the quest to be intellectually honest, I was compelled to examine my god beliefs. It did not take long for them to just fall away.

It is my opinion, that atheism is the natural outcome of correctly applying skepticism to god beliefs.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Been there, done that. Look in past threads.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Much like Evie and zebo, I honestly can't recall a time when I believed in God. Even though I was required to attend Mass and Sunday school, learned the catechism by rote, and was confirmed, I always felt it was all a bit contrived. If I had to pick a single moment when I knew (rather than strongly suspected) that is was all nonsense, it would be the time when, at about 6 or 7 years old, I dropped my 10p into the collection plate then whispered to my mother, 'Mam, what do they do with all that money?' and she whispered back, 'They give it to God.'

The folk superstitions I grew up with had a much stronger grip on me than did religion: two funerals in the same cemetery on the same day will bring disaster; when someone in the family dies, the youngest child able to do so has to bring the news to the cows and (in season) the bees, or the faeries will give the departed no rest; if you don't give a pleasant hullo to a solitary magpie, you'll have bad cess ('luck') for a year; never pick up a comb you see lying on the ground - it belongs to the banshee; lots more. I can't truthfully say that I'm shut of all of these yet - to this day, I have a sneaking suspicion that putting shoes on a table (any table) is just asking for trouble.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 22, 2015 at 5:10 pm)Evie Wrote: This is probably like the 100th thread about this. Possibly a bit less but possibly a lot more!

Why am I an atheist? Because I have never believed in a god. How did I become an atheist? By being born.

Isn't there like, a whole sub-forum for it?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
It was a process. A collection of things. It mostly happened because I gained a better feeling of right and wrong as I grew up. There are a number of things that are quite different about the culture surrounding the bible, and modern western culture. Even this country of USA, which some people think was founded on christian principles.

First you have this deity who is expected to rule over you. In a world of monarchies and dictatorships, this makes sense. the greater peasant populous serves the whims of those in power. However in this country the ones in power are there because we elected them to serve our needs. One of the founding principles of this country is no taxation without representation, which is why we're not the United Colonies of Britain right now. We pay money to the government in exchange for them listening to us. Now it runs more like an oligarchy than a representative republic, but that's because of corruption in politics. They are supposed to be public servants. Not the ruling elite.

Another thing about the bible is the idea of killing some innocent creature to wipe away the wrongdoings of the guilty. There is no modern justice system where it's ok to do that. Sometimes it gets done, but it's not on paper as acceptable practice. We don't jail children for the crimes of their parents. Human sacrifice nd scapegoating just aren't done anymore, so why should I accept the idea of someone dying in my place? Then you get into the idea of eternal punishment. Why is it eternal? Most likely so a responsible person won't just choose to take their punishment like a respectable adult should. If the punishment is fair and proportional, then I shouldn't let someone take my place. That would be wrong.

So on moral grounds the bible fails in this, and more. Aside from that, there's the fact that prophesies, creator gods, and people who are born of virgins and come back from the dead are not unique or original to judaism and christianity. So there's nothing that makes the bible special. Why pick it over other older religions? Why pick the older religions just because they are older?

That's what made me an atheist. I could probably go on, but I believe I've made my point.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 22, 2015 at 5:03 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: So, can you tell us about how you became an atheist? Was it a process or an instance when you dropped your god belief? Did someone help you along, or influence you? Or maybe you were always an atheist? Please share your story. 

Never been anything else. Expelled from Sunday School on my second visit, age 7, for asking awkward questions about Noah's fArk. 

I told a young lady recently that I was an atheist and she seemed shocked. After a moment of contemplation she said, "Well, it happens*, people get abused..."

I told her I was never religious so that didn't apply. She grew more confused then. "But how?"

"I wasn't indoctrinated in any religion."

"I wasn't either!"

"You parents were..."

"Catholic."

"And you are..."

"Catholic. But that's because it makes sense!"

"Catholics are the ones that eat their savior?"

"Now you're trying to start a fight!" 

[Image: banghead.gif]

*You know, like hurricanes hitting Mexico or something.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3245 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 3295 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3268 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  What made you become an atheist? Atomic Lava 69 6151 December 12, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5023 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  What made you become an atheist? Handprint 170 46221 October 3, 2018 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1962 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92672 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  How did u become an atheist? Lebneni Murtad 52 10053 April 6, 2017 at 1:21 am
Last Post: surreptitious57
  Did anyone listen to atheist experience this week? Won2blv 12 4067 November 25, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical