Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism statistics - what do you know about your country
Atheism statistics - what do you know about your country
I stumbled over a set of statistics concerning belief and disbelief in my country, which would be Austria. And the numbers are a bit of a paradoxon.

First there are church statistics. According to them, 63 percent of our general population are Roman Catholics. 3,8 percent are protestants of any given denomination.

But there's a Gallup poll too. The „Global Religiosity and Atheism Index“. According to that, only 42 percent of the population considers themselves as in any way religious. 43 percent say, they're not religious and 10 percent claim to be strong atheists.

So for some reason, people stay with their churches although they don't believe in their doctrines.

I would be interested if you have some material about the situation in your particular country.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: Atheism statistics - what do you know about your country
Well, I don't have material, but the situation in Germany is of course very similar. Lots of "traditional" Church membership. My mom's family for example is protestant on paper, and my Dad still catholic on paper, even though at least half of them completely reject the doctrine. It's just this cultural and social thing, especially in small towns like ours.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 28, 2014 at 9:27 am)abaris Wrote: I stumbled over a set of statistics concerning belief and disbelief in my country, which would be Austria. And the numbers are a bit of a paradoxon.

First there are church statistics. According to them, 63 percent of our general population are Roman Catholics. 3,8 percent are protestants of any given denomination.

But there's a Gallup poll too. The „Global Religiosity and Atheism Index“. According to that, only 42 percent of the population considers themselves as in any way religious. 43 percent say, they're not religious and 10 percent claim to be strong atheists.

So for some reason, people stay with their churches although they don't believe in their doctrines.

I would be interested if you have some material about the situation in your particular country.

A large part of religious affiliation is cultural. I'm a lifetime atheist, but a cultural protestant, Lutheran in particular. My suspicion is that the odd poll numbers have to do with how the question is asked. I also suspect churches of counting anyone who uses their services whether for a wedding or a funeral.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
There's about 87% roman catholics in my country (Poland) and 2% are different religions. It means there are only 11% unbelievers. But our church counts everyone who were baptised... and even if you try to get a formal apostasy, you still will be counted as a roman catholic, because of the act of christening.

BS.
(November 28, 2014 at 10:59 am)Jenny A Wrote: A large part of religious affiliation is cultural. I'm a lifetime atheist, but a cultural protestant, Lutheran in particular. My suspicion is that the odd poll numbers have to do with how the question is asked. I also suspect churches of counting anyone who uses their services whether for a wedding or a funeral.

Yeah, that's what I guessed from personal experience. I was stuck with the church statistics talking about very high numbers of believers in Austria and I simply couldn't believe them, since you hear virtually nothing about religion unless you're actively looking for it. The Gallup poll makes much more sense and people obviously stick to tradition. Not leaving the church, but not going to church either.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/201...igion.html

http://ir2.flife.de/data/natcen-social-r...=&lang=ENG

Non religion is the largest growing religious demographic in England and wales. Around 15% indicated they had no religious affiliation in 2001 which jumped to 25% in 2011 (which is a conservative figure as it discounts, for example, jedis and other 'joke' answers). The BSAS (url above), arguably a more accurate overview albeit with a far smaller sample (disocounts the nominal christian effect which is prevelant in the national census) , indicates that around 50% have no religious beliefs.

The norm here is really to have no religious beliefs, or not to talk about them.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need a new passport, which country is officially atheist? BananaFlambe 44 2524 December 20, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5221 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Statistics, the perfect weapon to justify hate? Ferrocyanide 12 1542 December 21, 2020 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2288 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Sharing your atheism james hart 15 1714 April 24, 2020 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  Informing aging relatives of your Atheism Bahana 7 1255 October 7, 2018 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Bahana
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5197 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 23268 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 29757 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27099 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13