Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm an atheist and I need answers on islam
I'm an atheist and I need answers on islam
Hello i'm new on this forum. Im an 20 yo atheist living in a european multicultural country and i grew up between a majority of muslims. My muslim girlfriend of 3 years rejected me suddenly for her religion telling me i wasnt muslim so i could forget about her. She asked me a few times during our relationshipto to learn about islam. So here i am a few months later still impossible to get over all this. There are still alot of things to sort out in my head

Wanted to know a few point of views on islam from other atheists that have knowledge and studied islam or at least comprehension of the Koran. Replies like "islam is a barbaric religion with a paedophilic prophet" aren't going to help me alot. I see people commenting these kind of things everywhere for example on religious videos on youtube and its always the same over and over again..muslims always react like "no islam is a peacuful religion" or "go read the Koran and you will find the truth". From my personal experience i've read some verses from the Koran and some hadiths and yes there are some peacefull things but on the other hand there are other verses that are contradicting or violent i'm talking about punishments and things like that. When i tell that this to muslims either they answer that i should read those verses in their context (which i did and it didn't change anything to their violence) or they deny and tell me that they never heard about such things. Ive heard about taqiyya too but it would would suprise me all muslim parents told secretely to their muslim kids that they had to hide the bad sides of islam to all the non-believers. What do i have to conclude off this? That most muslims didnt read the koran or that they only pick the peaceful verses? Or do i misinterpretade those verses. The reason why i'm so concerned with this is because i loved my ex alot and i will still feel some kind guilt for being rejected even though i know she's the one to blame. I dont want to convert at all but when i will understand things better it will allow me to let her go easier
RE: I'm an atheist and I need answers on islam
(December 6, 2014 at 11:34 pm)Iloveporc Wrote: Hello i'm new on this forum. Im an 20 yo atheist living in a european multicultural country and i grew up between a majority of muslims. My muslim girlfriend of 3 years rejected me suddenly for her religion telling me i wasnt muslim so i could forget about her. She asked me a few times during our relationshipto to learn about islam. So here i am a few months later still impossible to get over all this. There are still alot of things to sort out in my head

Wanted to know a few point of views on islam from other atheists that have knowledge and studied islam or at least comprehension of the Koran. Replies like "islam is a barbaric religion with a paedophilic prophet" aren't going to help me alot. I see people commenting these kind of things everywhere for example on religious videos on youtube and its always the same over and over again..muslims always react like "no islam is a peacuful religion" or "go read the Koran and you will find the truth". From my personal experience i've read some verses from the Koran and some hadiths and yes there are some peacefull things but on the other hand there are other verses that are contradicting or violent i'm talking about punishments and things like that. When i tell that this to muslims either they answer that i should read those verses in their context (which i did and it didn't change anything to their violence) or they deny and tell me that they never heard about such things. Ive heard about taqiyya too but it would would suprise me all muslim parents told secretely to their muslim kids that they had to hide the bad sides of islam to all the non-believers. What do i have to conclude off this? That most muslims didnt read the koran or that they only pick the peaceful verses? Or do i misinterpretade those verses. The reason why i'm so concerned with this is because i loved my ex alot and i will still feel some kind guilt for being rejected even though i know she's the one to blame. I dont want to convert at all but when i will understand things better it will allow me to let her go easier

Is this the best place to learn about Islam?

We don't believe so any input we give will be coloured with our scepticism. I for example think that all religions that feature a god are fundamentally flawed because there is zero evidence for one.
My knowledge of Islam is also limited as the main religion I know and loathe is Christianity.

Saying that Islam is certainly currently the "bad boy" of religions at the moment. When was the last time you heard a good news article connected to Islam, its all bad. Murder, enslavement, enforcement of stupid laws that apparently are sharia are what we see.

For an unbiased view try elsewhere.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

The Quran says you're scum, you can't marry her and she can't be your friend because you're a non-believer.

And apparently I'm an islamophobe for pointing this out.
This islamaphobia is bullshit. PR nonsense. When someone is supporting a cult that involves mass murder, the tip toeing around has to stop.

Justified mass murder, as far as any adherent is concerned. They all worship the same book. If you don't like bits of the book and those bits are nothing to do with you, get a new book and call it something else.

I know it's not as simple as that in extreme Muslim countries where they will kill you for trying to leave the religion.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Check this out http://www.channel4.com/programmes/islam.../on-demand

Islamic history studied by secular historians.

In the piece you will actually see Muslim scholars saying you can't study the history of Islam without believing it to be 100% true first. WTF? Imagine saying that in science you cannot begin to study or understand FreeTonys Theory of Everything without believing it to be 100% true first.
Lol WHAT? Credibility 0% from the get go.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Welcome aboard Iloveporc.
I'll try to find your other thread on the correct parry of the forum. Wink
I take it your username is some sort of "fuck you" to Islam? :p

Index of my best videos
Welcome

We may not be able to give you "answers" but are quite capable of discussion on the topic.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New here and need advice Kalyssat 24 4078 October 18, 2014 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Mystical
  Alabamian Atheist in Need of Advice Celi 55 11272 April 6, 2014 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Atheist Dad Seeking Answers Mxwll 41 8050 November 1, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Let's Start Over, I'm Blackrook and I'm Here to Get Some Answers to Important Questions Blackrook 48 18107 October 3, 2012 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake
  New, and need to witness to you . . . Smitty 3 1581 February 26, 2012 at 12:06 am
Last Post: Minimalist