Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alabamian Atheist in Need of Advice
Alabamian Atheist in Need of Advice
or maybe just encouragement.

Hi, I'm Celi. Nutshelling: I'm 16, I live in Alabama, I'm socially anxious and inept, and I'm an atheist. I like sci-fi, fantasy, and other nerd stuff in the form of comics, video games, TV, books, and anime/manga. I also like writing.

And I want to come out. I really, really need to come out. Which is what I'd like advice on: I wrote this to post as a note on Facebook, and I'd really appreciate some input. I'd go on and introduce myself some more, but this says it all:

I'm atheist. I don't believe in Yahweh or any other god. I've wanted to say this for a long time, but I've never been brave enough.

The reason I'm saying this is that I don't want to lie any more. I don't want to sit through church services that alienate, revolt, and offend me, or attend Sundy school and feel like I'm assenting by silence to the lesson. I just want to go ahead and make it very clear that I'm not trying to insult anybody, although people will certainly feel insulted. I believe that something you believe is wrong, and even appalling, but I don't think that makes me superior to Christians, or that Christians are bad/dumb/otherwise contemptible people--just people who have been indoctrinated, usually from early childhood, into an insidious belief system that doesn't allow them to doubt it, lest they risk eternal torment.

Even in my earliest memories of going to church, I was highly skeptical of the accuracy of what I was being taught. To believe in something like a personal god, you have to want to, and the older I got the less I liked the idea of a murderous, misogynistic, jealous, voyueristic control freak who tortures you forever if you don't love him governing the universe. I don't remember a specific point of what a Christian would refer to as "losing my faith" because I never had any; I've always believed that faith--essentially, believing in something that you have no good reason to believe in--was illogical and rather disgusting. I merely gradually went from not knowing or caring whether it exists to believing that it doesn't. More recently, in the past few weeks and months, I've been seeing how appalling this religion is

I know I can't be the only person I know who feels this way. In any community, there are bound to be intelligent, strong-willed people who can see through the bizarre logic of religion. I know it's natural not to want to tell anyone, often not even yourself, especially here in the Bible Belt where there's so much social pressure to follow this one partiular religion and very few people who don't accept it. So, to any closeted atheists or agnostics: if you're a teenager living with religious parents who may have a seriously bad reaction, I'd recommend not coming out, obviously; everyone else, you really should. If more people come out, then it will make it easier for others to come out, and so on. You don't have to keep lying to yourself or anyone else.
--
It's really just a rough draft, I suppose, I just think I could benefit from advice from other atheists.

I realize this isn't a typical introductory thread--I'm just sort of showing up and asking for help with something. I really hope I'm not being rude.

This forum looks exceptionally tolerant and open-minded, which is a feat considering the nature of most Internet forums and the tendency of the subject of religion to get people angry. I look forward to posting here.
RE: Alabamian Atheist in Need of Advice
welcome!
I think you nailed it with not coming out to your parents if you're still dependent on them and you know they wouldn't take well.
Anything else is game...but I can't give much advice, since I'm from a nice European country where most people just live and let live, independently of what you believe in.
Welcome, you find it a very nice place here, you'll find others nearer your age and from your culture, that can help you. As an old brit from far away I wish you well.
[Image: signiture_zps1665b542.gif]
(January 19, 2013 at 5:35 am)pocaracas Wrote: I think you nailed it with not coming out to your parents if you're still dependent on them and you know they wouldn't take well.

Unfortunately this. It might be frustrating, but the consequences can be dire, no matter how much your parents love you.

(January 19, 2013 at 5:19 am)Celi Wrote: I'm socially anxious and inept, and I'm an atheist. I like sci-fi, fantasy, and other nerd stuff in the form of comics, video games, TV, books, and anime/manga. I also like writing.

To me it seems that you'll fit right in. Smile
What video games do you play and what anime do you watch/manga do you read? And now for the million dollar question, are you a SW fan or a Trekkie? Big Grin

A very warm welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome
Welcome Celi Smile
Smile Thanks for the warm welcome, everyody!
(January 19, 2013 at 5:41 am)Kayenneh Wrote:
(January 19, 2013 at 5:35 am)pocaracas Wrote: I think you nailed it with not coming out to your parents if you're still dependent on them and you know they wouldn't take well.

Unfortunately this. It might be frustrating, but the consequences can be dire, no matter how much your parents love you.

(January 19, 2013 at 5:19 am)Celi Wrote: I'm socially anxious and inept, and I'm an atheist. I like sci-fi, fantasy, and other nerd stuff in the form of comics, video games, TV, books, and anime/manga. I also like writing.

To me it seems that you'll fit right in. Smile
What video games do you play and what anime do you watch/manga do you read? And now for the million dollar question, are you a SW fan or a Trekkie? Big Grin

A very warm welcome to AF! ^_^

Yup, the parents thing is what's keeping me from just posting that. I know they wouldn't do anything really drastic, like beating me or kicking me out or something, but besides that I can't predict how they would react. I wouldn't be surprised if they got really pissed, broke down in tears, or took it really calmly.

I like Western RPGs a lot, from Bethesda's open worlds to BioWare's structured stories and everything in between. Right now I'm playing Mount & Blade Warband, which is sort of like Sid Meier's Pirates except medieval and more RPG-ey. As for anime/manga, I don't know why I put that there, I like it but I haven't watched/read any for quite a while. I watched lots of Rurouni Kenshin a few months ago, though.

As for the ultimate question: both! I've seen all of the Original Series and a few seasons of TNG, but I've also seen all six films and read lots of the books. But as you can see from my newly uploaded avatar, I love Doctor Who more than either (11=best Doctor and coolest person in the universe).
(January 19, 2013 at 11:02 am)Celi Wrote: I like Western RPGs a lot, from Bethesda's open worlds to BioWare's structured stories and everything in between. Right now I'm playing Mount & Blade Warband, which is sort of like Sid Meier's Pirates except medieval and more RPG-ey. As for anime/manga, I don't know why I put that there, I like it but I haven't watched/read any for quite a while. I watched lots of Rurouni Kenshin a few months ago, though.

As for the ultimate question: both! I've seen all of the Original Series and a few seasons of TNG, but I've also seen all six films and read lots of the books. But as you can see from my newly uploaded avatar, I love Doctor Who more than either (11=best Doctor and coolest person in the universe).

Ah, a man after my own heart! How much a person likes Doctor Who is a great indicator of how good a person they are, in my book. Wink

Welcome aboard, from one newbie to another. Smile
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Hello and welcome.

Alabama is like a complete clichè here. People assosiate it with teethless rednecks who whilest drunk, beat up there wifes after having sex with their sisters.

If you should happen to come here one day you will notice that when Germans in the north talk about Bavaria they might sometimes say:

"Bavaria is Germany`s Texas/Alabama/Georgia"
(January 19, 2013 at 11:02 am)Celi Wrote: But as you can see from my newly uploaded avatar, I love Doctor Who more than either (11=best Doctor and coolest person in the universe).

Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello and Advice Requested TheJefe817 3 535 May 22, 2022 at 3:58 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  I'm an atheist and I need answers on islam Iloveporc 8 1435 December 8, 2014 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  New here and need advice Kalyssat 24 4078 October 18, 2014 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Mystical
  Just Here for Advice, but Hi! Pinja 20 5920 August 2, 2013 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: SmarterthanU
Question Joining just for advice, really Gravesy 11 2985 January 5, 2013 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Aractus
  A brief introduction, and call for advice Chris.Roth 6 3384 April 29, 2012 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Need advice... drakeeeeeeee 7 2137 July 15, 2010 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: lrh9