Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:11 pm

Poll: Was Jesus the Son of God, or What?
This poll is closed.
Yes. There was a man born of a flesh and blood woman named Mary who was impregnated by God himself. That makes him the son of God, by gawd.
12.82%
5 12.82%
No. Jesus was or was probably a real, historical person from the time period depicted in the bible but he was not the spawn of God.
10.26%
4 10.26%
No. The Jesus of the bible was not or was probably not a historical person. More the stuff of legend and myth or possibly just fiction.
28.21%
11 28.21%
Oh hell no. It's all bullshit. No gods. No offspring of gods. No woo woo shit at all.
33.33%
13 33.33%
Don't know. Without an adequate definition of "god" it is impossible to know who may be the son of one, or if a 'god' is even capable of having a child.
5.13%
2 5.13%
Don't care. Not really sure what I'm doing on the Christian sub forum, but as long as I'm here I'd just like to register my extreme disinterest.
5.13%
2 5.13%
None of the above but I'll be letting you know in a comment.
0%
0 0%
None of the above and I can't be bothered to comment.
5.13%
2 5.13%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Jesus the son of God?
Is Jesus the son of God?
Someone just mentioned how cool it was to be able to vote on such a measure here on an atheist site so I thought, why not? (Wish I could find it now to give proper credit.)

So in this poll we're answering the question "was Jesus the son of God, or what?" Gawd only knows what options are needed. I'll write some down but as always, write your own if I leave your idea out.

1) Yes. There was a man born of a flesh and blood woman named Mary who was impregnated by God himself. That makes him the son of God, by gawd.

2) No. Jesus was or was probably a real, historical person from the time period depicted in the bible but he was not the spawn of God.

3) No. The Jesus of the bible was not or was probably not a historical person. More the stuff of legend and myth or possibly just fiction.

4) Oh hell no. It's all bullshit. No gods. No offspring of gods. No woo woo shit at all.

5) Don't know. Without an adequate definition of "god" it is impossible to know who may be the son of one, or if a 'god' is even capable of having a child.

6) Don't care. Not really sure what I'm doing on the Christian sub forum, but as long as I'm here I'd just like to register my extreme disinterest.

7) None of the above but I'll be letting you know in a comment.

8) None of the above and I can't be bothered to comment.
RE: Is Jesus the son of God?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
In my opinion, no.

If he did exist, and there is growing speculation that the Jesus character is an amalgam of people who did actually exist given the supernatural aspects of earlier deities, he was likely an itinerant rabbi who tried to shake up the status quo among the powers-that=be and was killed because of it. And, after his death, his followers then associated him with divinity.
Dying to live, living to die.

Jesus is the mechanic that works on my crappy Toyota two blocks down the street.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
A combination of 2 & 3. There were messianic preachers, there were several cults of this type, and it is possible that one of these or some combination of a couple formed the basis for modern Christianity.

And since his divinity was established 300 years later by a vote no, not divine.
I don't recall naming a kid Jesus, so no.
4, it's all as close to bullshit as makes no odds.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Damn. Forgot to make the results public. I'm nosy like that.

Oh and I voted 5 but I could have also voted 6, and because I care so little I have no opinion which is more likely between 2 and 3. The fact that the term is so meaningless seems primary to me.
1 seems most like the gospel version if taken literally.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
7 with a splash of 2 and 3.

There may have been a man that was the basis of the mythology, his name may or may not have been Jesus, but there's zero, zilch, nada, bupkis reason to think he's a miracle working spawn of deity.

But really, all of that is moot, because I have no fucks to give. Yahweh's portrayal in the bible is evil, the Christian doctrine of redemption is evil, and I want no part of any of it - even if it could be proved to be true.

So neener neener.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 4049 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Better terminology for "Father and Son" ? vorlon13 258 60316 October 13, 2017 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  The Prodigal Son Ignorant 86 12631 June 12, 2016 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Alex K
Video Christian faimily disowns gay teen son on youtube Fake Messiah 10 3015 April 29, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Parents Charged in Beating Death of Son at Church JesusHChrist 56 9444 October 22, 2015 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Did "james son of zebedee" ever meet Paul the Apostle? Coreni 6 4411 June 25, 2015 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Metis
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7229 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Hint not taken; son of dead rattlesnake preacher bitten. Ryantology 15 4535 May 28, 2014 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12426 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  The Son^3 FallentoReason 31 9135 May 11, 2012 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Ryft