Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 7:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Okay, If Odd Rules Usually Reflect Prior Behavior
Okay, If Odd Rules Usually Reflect Prior Behavior
As a parent, my job sometimes seems to consist entirely of signing things. Sometimes I actually read them, and then I am sorry.

I just signed the code of conduct for The National Science Bowl, a quiz-style science competition sort of like Jeopardy in which the kids compete is teams. The code of conduct includes the following (I'm paraphrasing here):

1. Competitors must keep their shoes and shirts on at all times.

2. Competitors must not drink, smoke or ingest illegal substances during the competition.

3. Competitors shall not vandalize the property on which the competition is held.

Now I'm trying to imagine previous matches in which the students were topless, shoeless, smoking pot, drinking Southern Comfort, and writing on the walls while answering timed questions about biology, geology, chemistry and physics. It's not a pretty picture.

I'm feel fairly safe in guaranteeing that my daughter won't take her shirt off in the middle of a round though. Who thinks this stuff up?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: Okay, If Odd Rules Usually Reflect Prior Behavior
Lawyers.
I'd posit most every single odd or weird rule or warning you come across these days is the result of a lawsuit and a big payout somewhere.
Min nailed it - once lawyers are involved, things get ugly in a hurry.

But I don't think these particular rules are necessarily a reflection of past behaviour. More likely, some blue-hair wet herself over the thought of kids showing up to a science quiz naked and methed out.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 17, 2014 at 8:05 pm)Jenny A Wrote: As a parent, my job sometimes seems to consist entirely of signing things. Sometimes I actually read them, and then I am sorry.

I just signed the code of conduct for The National Science Bowl, a quiz-style science competition sort of like Jeopardy in which the kids compete is teams. The code of conduct includes the following (I'm paraphrasing here):

1. Competitors must keep their shoes and shirts on at all times.

2. Competitors must not drink, smoke or ingest illegal substances during the competition.

3. Competitors shall not vandalize the property on which the competition is held.

Now I'm trying to imagine previous matches in which the students were topless, shoeless, smoking pot, drinking Southern Comfort, and writing on the walls while answering timed questions about biology, geology, chemistry and physics. It's not a pretty picture.

I'm feel fairly safe in guaranteeing that my daughter won't take her shirt off in the middle of a round though. Who thinks this stuff up?

I don't think kids drink Southern Comfort anymore. That was kinda a 1982 thing. Your kids are probably drinking Fireball.
(December 17, 2014 at 8:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Lawyers.

You're probably right, at least indirectly. But I was amused. Not cheating, was way down the list at six or or seven. Properly shod feet are obviously most important.

(December 17, 2014 at 8:39 pm)Heywood Wrote: I don't think kids drink Southern Comfort anymore. That was kinda a 1982 thing. Your kids are probably drinking Fireball.

And how do you know? Tongue
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(December 17, 2014 at 8:39 pm)Heywood Wrote: I don't think kids drink Southern Comfort anymore. That was kinda a 1982 thing. Your kids are probably drinking Fireball.

SoCo would have been nice, but I couldn't afford it. Mad Dog did the trick on a budget (MD 20/20 for the uninitiated).
I think the exact same thing when I see odd signs telling me what not to do.

On one particular bus, there was a sign up that simply said, "Do not spit while in this bus." What the jumping Jehovah's?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 17, 2014 at 8:05 pm)Jenny A Wrote: 1. Competitors must keep their shoes and shirts on at all times.

1) But they are allowed to take off their pants obviously.

2) In other words, all bets are off as long as the competition hasn't started or once it's come to a close.

3) But everything outside the premisses is fair game. Vandalize away.

What amuses me most about these rules is that they're probably set up because of prior incidents. So all of the above really happened at some point.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cliff Notes, For Forum Rules. Goosebump 18 514 February 12, 2024 at 7:01 am
Last Post: no one
  Odd family sayings zebo-the-fat 12 826 August 10, 2023 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Alex K: I Hope He's Okay Rhondazvous 33 3556 November 17, 2019 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Why are leaders usually not threatened by violence? Macoleco 10 1167 August 24, 2019 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Road Rules and jerks..... Brian37 72 5013 March 5, 2019 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Parenting rules? Losty 36 1567 September 10, 2018 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  YouTube's New Monetization Rules Mechaghostman2 8 1489 January 28, 2018 at 6:50 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  I'm looking for good recipe ideas for the foods that I usually buy from the store WisdomOfTheTrees 1 737 February 5, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  I hate odd numbers Ben Davis 40 3559 July 4, 2016 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Okay, crucify me Foxaèr 10 1560 April 12, 2016 at 6:10 am
Last Post: Athene