Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 10:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay bakeries refuse to make cakes = discrimination
Gay bakeries refuse to make cakes = discrimination
Quote:Despite anti-discrimination laws in many states that require Christian bakery owners to bake cakes for same-sex weddings, 13 LGBT and gay-owned bakeries objected to one man's request when he asked if they'd make a pro-traditional marriage cake that would read "gay marriage is wrong."

"Why would we make something that is against what we are working toward?" the Hot Cookie representative asked. "I feel like that is hateful and we are not about that."

Shoebat responded by telling her that although Christian bakers believe that gay marriage is morally wrong, they are still forced to make cakes for the same-sex weddings.

"All of the homosexual activists in California are working to force Christian businesses in California to acquiesce to homosexual opinion and things that they don't agree with," Shoebat asserted. "Technically, you are discriminating against people like me, when you refuse to make a cake that says 'gay marriage is wrong.' … By refusing to make a cake, it's discrimination against those beliefs."

"I am a man who believes gay marriage is wrong. Is there no equality for me?" Shoebat asks.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/13-gay...ng-131479/
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Gay bakeries refuse to make cakes = discrimination
Discriminating against discriminating! This is just getting silly. Shoebat website is pretty amusing though, if you got a stomach for lunacy.
There are non-gay bakeries still in operation?

Huh. I thought that they'd closed their doors years ago.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Quote:"I am a man who believes gay marriage is wrong. Is there no equality for me?" Shoebat asks.

Shoebat, dude, you're a troll.
Shoebat may be a troll but I think his point about hypocrisy is valid. If you're in the business of baking custom designed cakes, and a customer requests something you personally do not agree with, who cares? Bake the cake and collect your fee.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
I kind of agree with shonuff, but I also can imagine some heterosexist schmuck coming in and making the gay bakers do an anti-gay cake just out of harassment towards the bakers themselves (in addition to the gay community). Like, it would drive their point home in a more severe way.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Looks like a clear case of wanting to have your cake and eat it too, IMO.
This is why one should keep business separate from his/her/its personal life and opinions.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Can I add that I would hope that heterobakeries are equally pissed off by such a request? But since there are so many bakeries in the world the whole thing seems so obviously set up to send a message to that baker in particular, and I wonder whether that doesn't satisfy some criterion for bullying which would be officially recognized. Of course you can't prove that the order was given for that purpose, so probably not...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

They didn't refuse to make the cake because they were discriminating against straight marriage; they refused because they were being bullied, as Alex pointed out. That's not discrimination.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-discrimination for atheists Dr H 33 4341 February 26, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  The Irish just went full retard - Legalizing gender discrimination ErGingerbreadMandude 154 12684 January 19, 2017 at 12:54 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Belfast bakers lose "gay cake" discrimination appeal Cyberman 72 6551 October 25, 2016 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Venice mayor bans anti-discrimination books from primary schools Lucanus 13 2544 July 4, 2015 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Gay marriage: maybe. Anti-gay idiots: pushing stupid laws. Foxaèr 1 1281 May 10, 2015 at 5:05 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Indiana State Law Still Allows Businesses to Refuse Service Based on Sexuality FatAndFaithless 20 5917 April 3, 2015 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Pledge discrimination, past and present. Brian37 2 1001 October 12, 2014 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hong Kong protesters refuse to leave pocaracas 4 1093 September 29, 2014 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christian bakery owner who won’t make cake for gay marriage StuW 3 964 July 8, 2014 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: ShaMan