Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Should people learn about other religions?
Should people learn about other religions?
I have been asked to write an essay on whether theists should learn about religions other than their own. This includes both in school and in one’s general life. I wanted to give an atheists perspective on this question, and I would be grateful to get your opinion on it.

On the one hand I think learning about other religions is a good thing because it means you’re not blindly accepting what you’re told and you are at least are questioning your faith. If learning about other faiths leads people to renounce religion altogether, from an atheists point of view that is surely a good thing?
On the other hand, shouldn’t your faith be purely based on your personal view, and studying other faiths would simply show you don’t really believe in your own.
Or maybe studying religions is just a complete waste of time in the first place, and there are better things to be doing…

What are your views?
RE: Should people learn about other religions?
I think that if another person shows curiosity about different religions they should be given a chance to learn about them. But I don't think it should be made mandatory. Specially not in schools. There are so many different religions out there and studying them all would leave no more time for other curriculum's necessary to prepare you for later life.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I think if you're making a claim about religion, you should learn about contrasting theories in the matter.
(February 24, 2010 at 1:26 pm)tavarish Wrote: I think if you're making a claim about religion, you should learn about contrasting theories in the matter.

!

Big Grin Wink Joke

I actually think it seems a bit of a waste. To me it was deadly boring and a complete waste of time. But I've seen school classes where it's a lively discussion more than anything on some interesting topics. But even so moral guidance by a state school just makes alarm bells ring. With the breakdown of family I guess sometimes a moral framework is neglected. Tough one. i'm on the fence.
Actually I disagree with Fr0d0 on this one. I wholehardly deplore people to look at as many angles as achievalbe. I teach comparitive studies in my sunday school class to kids, so why hsouldn't adults. I've found it vastly rewarding. Without having comparitive discussions with my Jewish friends I would still believe God hates homosexuals. Smile
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
The character of God found in the bible does hate homos.

Where do you get otherwise?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(February 25, 2010 at 1:47 am)tackattack Wrote: Actually I disagree with Fr0d0 on this one. I wholehardly deplore people to look at as many angles as achievalbe. I teach comparitive studies in my sunday school class to kids, so why hsouldn't adults. I've found it vastly rewarding. Without having comparitive discussions with my Jewish friends I would still believe God hates homosexuals. Smile

The God in your book definitely hates them.
When I was a fundie I used to study other religions and other Christian sects to be able to refute their claims when confronted by them on the street while I was out witnessing. On the other hand comparative religion can be instructive regarding the origins of religion itself.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

(February 25, 2010 at 1:47 am)tackattack Wrote: Actually I disagree with Fr0d0 on this one. I wholehardly deplore people to look at as many angles as achievalbe. I teach comparitive studies in my sunday school class to kids, so why hsouldn't adults. I've found it vastly rewarding. Without having comparitive discussions with my Jewish friends I would still believe God hates homosexuals. Smile

I agree with learning as much as you can about any subject. I'm majorly interested in beliefs/ religion/ faiths.. I can't get enough. In school tho' I hated it. Maybe if it was presented as moral dilemmas/ discussions like I see going on now then maybe I'd have liked that. Maybe it's something you have to find out for yourself. I've done some teaching of kids in church.. best thing we did was some book on other beliefs/ faiths, ranging from basic animism, and how those were valuable.

Yep God doesn't hate homosexuals. The bible never says that he does. The best you can get is that promiscuity of any persuasion is discouraged.
Actually the best you could get is that Mosaic law forbids male prostitues from servicing males in a ritualistic way

The other thread is about that http://atheistforums.org/thread-3054.html

(edited to remove moral obligation) Anyways.. yes discussion amongst religions would benefit greatlyreligion as a whole.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11823 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 714 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  forbidding people to love each other Fake Messiah 210 24002 September 16, 2021 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 6473 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4607 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 20912 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1857 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2785 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3504 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 11145 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue