Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel against the fundies
Fuel against the fundies
One of the things I've learned over my delusional indoctrination into original Christianity, and something still in contention between me and my parents is homosexuality. I learned a lot from http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibl.htm and would like a jewish contribution to it's valididty. Also it's fuel I use in my personal life to help others better understand God's word, especially regarding homosexuality.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: Fuel against the fundies
I don't understand.

So you support condemnation of homosexuals?

Also why are you looking for a Jew to confirm it's validity? It's in the bible, you're a christian so to you it's valid. Or so I would think. Or do you only consider bible passages valid if a Jew confirms as such?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(February 25, 2010 at 8:20 am)Dotard Wrote: I don't understand.

So you support condemnation of homosexuals?

As i read it it's the other way around.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I'm guessing it is the otherway around only if you do not view the bible as "God's Word".

Seeing that he labels himself christian and used the phrase "God's word" had me assume he views the bible as the words of a God and thus condemns the fags.

Christians are a confusing lot. Joe xtain says yes it does, Jane xtain says no it doesn't, Frank xtain says it means something entirely different. Pick the shoe that fits you and not one cannot find any less web sites, books and 'authorative writings' to support their shoe size than the other.

How about this;
Make up your own goddamn mind about your opinions on the matter and let the ancient desert goat herders have theirs.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
---------------
NO MA'AM
It will come as no surprise that I do agree with you on that. As you can cherry pick anything in the bible to make it agree with whatever position you hold valid, why not use that to your advantage to persuade other Christians?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
And why the need for a Jew to confirm validity? Are the Jews the authorative source for biblical interpretations?

If so, then why do Jews, just as xtians, disagree umoungst themselves on the meanings of different passages?
---------------
---------------
NO MA'AM
(February 25, 2010 at 9:26 am)Dotard Wrote: And why the need for a Jew to confirm validity? Are the Jews the authorative source for biblical interpretations?

Lewis Black said it best, "If you want to know what the old testament really means, ask a Jew. He will take the time out of his busy schedule and explain it to you. For the right price."
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
LOL! I remember that;

...IF the price is right.
---------------
---------------
NO MA'AM
It is funny how you pointed out that Jews even disagree amongst themselves what the scriptures really say or mean Dotard. Their culture is the actual source and they have a tough time deciphering and reinterpreting what the scriptures say as is evidenced by the various sects of Judaism in existence today. I personally think that modern interpretations of scripture (specifically the study of theology) are just the theist's feeble attempts to making the word of their god relevant to our day and age.

Now, when it comes to homosexuality in the scriptures tackattack I would love to hear what you think. I am sure that from what I have read in the scriptures over the years homosexuality is an abomination before god and was punishable by death.

Leviticus 18:22
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Leviticus 20:13
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

I don't think you need a Jew to interpret this for you since it seems pretty clear what it is stating.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

I go to the original koine greek or hebrew text whenever possible. I also prefer context. I don't read greek or hebrew, Jews take the time to study the language that's why I'd like his opinion on the translation.

I'll excerpt,

In a world where ritual pagan sex in the church with prostitution was common and trying to be stamped out, and with no mention of female homosexuals (btw homosexual is a 19th century word) I have to conclude that they meant ritual pagan sex between male and male, not a concensual loving relationship between 2 men or 2 women. I agree that a vast majority still do see homosexuality as a sin. But simply put the Bible is the living inspired words of God, it is not inerrant, I think it is still one of the worlds most translated books and as such, more integrity is required than less. If I were to ever take a literalist approach to the Bible, it would almost certainly have to be in it's original text. I've already spoken to many Jews on the subject of it's validity and am quite satisfied with my own qualification, however it is telling of the Jews that interpret it a certain way, that's why I asked.

"Like all indigenous peoples, the Jews were not overly concerned about male homosexuality, where two men lived together in a monogamous, sexual relationship. As a rule, it did not get any notice....The Talmud does not record a single instance of a person being brought before the Sanhedrin on the charge of homosexual activity."-Rabbi Gershon Caudill, "A Heterosexual Jewish Rebbe's View on the (Supposedly) Homosexual Texts in the Hebrew Bible,"
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Fundies are Whining Again drfuzzy 20 3940 February 27, 2016 at 7:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The question that makes fundies hostile Godlesspanther 331 100025 December 20, 2013 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Poor Fundies.....Hell is A Literary Construct, Too! Minimalist 128 58646 May 24, 2013 at 5:43 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why Fundies Say I'm Not a Christian greneknight 51 18010 September 11, 2012 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Book for all to read. Especially Fundies. 5thHorseman 9 2887 November 7, 2011 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Bart Ehrman: Certain to Piss Off Fundies Minimalist 21 7662 August 3, 2011 at 10:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Bart D. Ehrman - The Bane of Fundies! Minimalist 83 32141 December 7, 2010 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist