Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being perceived as stubborn by my parents.
Being perceived as stubborn by my parents.
The other day, my dad was telling me how he can get me married if I want to and I cooperate and said if I don't say I'm not Muslim or I don't believe. I told him I can't change that and it's not that much in my control, he said, it is but if I want to be stubborn then I can be stubborn.

I left it that. Didn't really argue with him.

The funny thing is that I've gone through all sorts of reasons to believe in Islam, and through at this year became Muslim quite a few times. But those times are short lived and I end up not believing in Islam realizing it has problems and is not that convincing.

I'm not sure if my Dad just said that to put pressure on me to believe or that he actually thinks I'm being stubborn.
RE: Being perceived stubborn by my parents.
It would be more fair to the other person if they prefer a muslim spouse, that they know if you really are a muslim or not. Your dad is trying to give you more reason to convert, though. That's the real motive here, though I'm sure you realize that.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Have you at all considered the possibility that you may actually BE stubborn?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Actually your dad is just trying to get you married. Most parents in the world go through a certain phase where they just get crazy about marrying off their kids. They get even crazier if the kid is living with them. So if you are living with your parents, either move out, or get some ear plugs.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

MK, you might actually be stubborn, who knows? Be true to yourself, though. Be who you are, and make no apologies for that.
(December 27, 2014 at 7:13 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: Actually your dad is just trying to get you married. Most parents in the world go through a certain phase where they just get crazy about marrying off their kids. They get even crazier if the kid is living with them. So if you are living with your parents, either move out, or get some ear plugs.

I think you're right. Which makes me think he said that to put pressure on me to believe because he wants to get me to marry.
RE: Being perceived as stubborn by my parents.
I don't have any thoughts or advice as I have never been in this situation. But, I can understand how difficult it must be to have any of this pressure. All I can do is offer my support.
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
Your parents are not you, you are not them.. No one has the right to pressure you into doing things you don't want to do. And having to pretend to be something you are not is no way to live anyway. If you and your dad have a close relationship, just tell him you love him no matter what, but only you get to decide whom you marry and only you get to decide what beliefs you hold.
Why isn't he being stubborn by insisting you profess belief in some medieval bullshit?

It's a two-way street.
(December 27, 2014 at 7:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Why isn't he being stubborn by insisting you profess belief in some medieval bullshit?

It's a two-way street.

I don't think it's stubbornness to believe in a religion and want your family to believe in the same religion. I just don't get why he would perceive me being stubborn regarding Islam, which makes me think, he just said that to pressure on me to believe to get me married.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OK Bill to allow parents to sue teachers if they teach anything that opposes religion Cecelia 28 2028 February 20, 2022 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1233 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  My Mormon parents NuclearEnergy 11 2288 October 9, 2021 at 7:26 pm
  Jesus had no parents Ferrocyanide 21 2072 October 7, 2021 at 8:42 pm
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7128 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13311 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Growing up, did your parents have weird rules because of religion GODZILLA 7 1165 November 15, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A religious delimma. (God Parents) ignoramus 2 675 June 29, 2018 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I have a question about religious parents Der/die AtheistIn 22 3709 January 25, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Telling my parents kikiwallflower 24 3106 August 7, 2016 at 2:49 am
Last Post: KJV-reader