Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military service
Military service
It is funny but I have been out of the military since 1988 and I love military movies and shows. This song is the theme song to my favorite military show: The Unit. I am a former marine but in our speak there is no such thing, once a marine always a marine. Semper Fi About half of the unit I belonged to died in 88 due to a helicopter crash during routine exercises. I dedicate this to them. Also, my best friend from my youth died in Iraq Hemi I miss you brother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVjurb-mZdM
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

RE: Military service
(February 27, 2010 at 6:07 am)chatpilot Wrote: It is funny but I have been out of the military since 1988 and I love military movies and shows. This song is the theme song to my favorite military show: The Unit. I am a former marine but in our speak there is no such thing, once a marine always a marine. Semper Fi About half of the unit I belonged to died in 88 due to a helicopter crash during routine exercises. I dedicate this to them. Also, my best friend from my youth died in Iraq Hemi I miss you brother.

I'm terribly sorry for the loss of your friend.

Mate I've been out since 1970.

I still watch a lot of war movies; of all kinds.

I think you get more( different?) out of war movies if you've been a grunt. I was, and was in harm's way,but never fired my weapon in anger and am not a veteran.. I think it must be far more powerful for veterans. --a lot of war movies make veterans very angry. My dad used to almost chew the carpet over most American WW2 war movies. (mainly because they tended to ignore the allies and tell lies,according to dad.)
Thank you for your service and I am sorry for the loss of your friends and comrades.
Thanks everyone for the condolences because of my time in the military I am no longer as patriotic as I used to be. I saw alot of things going on that I just could not and would not agree with. Most war movies glorify the U.S. and their involvement in whatever conflict is filmed but they do hide the truth. Many veterans such as myself have bought into all the hoopla until you are actually on the inside and get to see how things really are. We as a nation have done some atrocious things in the name of freedom and democracy. Most of the people that get caught up in war don't even know what the hell they are fighting for. They are told lies about how what they are doing is for the greater good or to "liberate the oppressed from tyranny" etc. etc.

I was asked to re-enlist when the war in Iraq broke out on two different occasions but I refused due to the fact that I don't believe in the government and its so called causes. All conflicts usually have some ulterior motives that you the soldier are not privy to and are not supposed to ask about.

Quote:We as a nation have done some atrocious things in the name of freedom and democracy.

Only if you believe that we commit our troops to actually fight for "freedom and democracy." If on the other hand, you accept that we send them to fight and die for the whims of the power structure then those atrocities are a bit easier to understand.

I suspect that a fair percentage of people who volunteer start out with altruistic motives. It must be hardest for them.
I completely agree with you Min most people do enter the service for ulterior motives. Some see it as an easy way to get what they think is a free college education. But what they don't realize is that once you sign that contract you are considered government property. And once you are in the service if you are needed in another field they can move you and you can't say shit about it. All you are really fighting for is as you said " the whims of the power structure".

I am a veteran but I don't celebrate veterans day nor participate in parades and all of that crap. I actually regret ever signing up for military service and am lucky that I was not in during a time of war where I could have gotten my ass shot off and come home lame or dead. Alot of the vets in this country, especially those that fought in Vietnam make up a huge part of our homeless. I have stories that I personally witnessed that would make anyone want to cringe.

Yea the military ruined most war type movies for me.... Most of the time im sitting there going ..thats not how that sounds... Or you have that giant fire ball from a grenade, thats when I shut the movie off... Anyone who ever threw a real frag knows its just a loud bang a grey cloud and death.... you may get a flash in low light.. but never a fireball.
Did I make a good point? thumbs up Smile I cant help it I'm a Kudos whore. P.S. Jesus is a MYTH.
I could go on for hours about this one.

My dad, who just passed away at 94, spent WWII in Italy. He never spoke of it even though he had a bronze star other than to bitch and moan about being stuck on some mountain for 77 days without a shower or a chance to change his clothes. He had a purple heart which he attributed to a German shell knocking down the house he was in. After he died I found the citations from his commander and the purple heart was for a gun shot wound. The bronze star was for pulling in a wounded buddy under fire. He never mentioned a word of it to my mother. When Saving Private Ryan came out we started watching it. When it came to the scene where they hit the bunker with the flame-thrower and the body came rolling out he got up, said "you never forget that smell" and walked away. He never could bring himself to watch the rest of the film.

Yet it was easy for them. The country was attacked and the goals were clear. Ever since then things have been a lot more disjointed. We seem unable as a nation to discern what our true national interests are. Further, we seem to generate leaders who are far too concerned with being 'tough' and not nearly enough concerned about being 'smart.' I don't give Obama a pass on that. Doubling down in Afghanistan is pointless. These guys who are getting blasted taking Marjah are, in effect, dying so that one group of drug lords can control the town as opposed to another. Fuck it. We cannot afford to put a company of marines in every third world shithole. They have far more shitholes than we have marines.
chatpilot, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
My son joined the Navy for ulterior motives. He thought he was getting an easy pay check and someone to take care of him. They dangled big bonuses in front of him to get him to enlist for more years, 6 total. He didn't want to live with his parents rules anymore. He didn't want to go to college and he didn't want to get a job. I'm not sure what the hell he was thinking, the Navy didn't have rules, they wouldn't make him work? Anyway that's a decision he regrets now. He's 22 and still has 2 1/2 more years of active duty then 2, I think, of inactive. He spent 6 months in Iraq in '08 and this year he will be going to Afghanistan for 8 months. I too think being there is ridiculous. I just hope he comes home alive and in one piece.
binnyCoffee
(March 1, 2010 at 3:25 pm)binny Wrote: He's 22 and still has 2 1/2 more years of active duty then 2, I think, of inactive. He spent 6 months in Iraq in '08 and this year he will be going to Afghanistan for 8 months. I too think being there is ridiculous. I just hope he comes home alive and in one piece.

While it is true he will have 2.5 years more of trial by fire, he still is forever part of the military and may be reactivated at any time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Military people, fall in! Gawdzilla Sama 36 4461 October 23, 2018 at 7:35 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Tipping in the service industry Joods 104 4676 September 30, 2018 at 4:02 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  -For those who've served in the military The Grand Nudger 15 3455 July 7, 2014 at 3:54 am
Last Post: critmass235
  Shots from the Past: Service Members BlackSwordsman 7 1659 June 14, 2014 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Dragonetti
  Why I hate the Public Service Aractus 8 3085 March 1, 2013 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Coming home from the military Annik 24 4441 November 5, 2012 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: jonb
  U.S. Postal Service Planning Major Cuts Handprint 20 4445 December 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  Me and the Military littlegrimlin1 47 11334 December 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: littlegrimlin1