Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming home from the military
Coming home from the military
My brother, who I love very much, is set to get out of the military around the same time I graduate. I'm worried for him, though. He's made it clear to me that he doesn't like the military anymore because it has made him so short and aggressive. He's always been a little quick to anger, but now-a-days he flies off the handle so easily it's a little scary. Let me make it clear that he is not violent, but he wouldn't handle the "normal" world very easily, where everyone is an asshole. I know he is required to wait 6 months before getting a job or going to school because of the increased aggression his particular "job" in the military carries (he's in the Marines as a Security Forces guy, anti-terror forces. I'm happy to say he was never in battle, though, we were worried with all the Libya stuff!). Does anyone have in experience is bring someone like him back into the "real world"? I love my brother and I just want him to succeed.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
RE: Coming home from the military
Tell him to find an aggressive job. You know, law enforcement, mall security, smoothie vendor.....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
We have lots of platitudes for veterans.

Jobs? Not so much.
Doesn't the US military have anger management classes?
The Uk forces do if it is found they need it.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Absolutely DBP...

"Lock and load your seven round magazine..and watch...your lane......"
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I suggest talk therapy to get at the source of the anger.
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
(November 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Tell him to find an aggressive job. You know, law enforcement, mall security, smoothie vendor.....

Although he wasn't the least bit interested when he went into the military, he actually wants to go to college now. This leaves me with the awkward duty of telling my parents they can't decide what major he goes into/which job he wants for the rest of his life.
Perhaps he's had a view of the alternative to education and doesn't like it. I don't know what I want to do for the rest of my life either (anyone who does is a boring mf...huh?)
Awww, don't call me boring! ;D

Seriously, though, I think that might be it. My brother isn't an idiot, he just never liked school. I think he understands that it's a waste of his potential now.

EDIT: TINO, I just now saw your post. I don't think I can talk him into therapy, but I'll certainly try.
Good luck talking ex or current military personnel into therapy. That would be an admission of defeat.

Re-laaaax......Never!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coming upon a smashed $70K truck. Jehanne 6 662 December 26, 2022 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Brace yourselves... Christmas is coming! T.J. 71 2902 December 25, 2021 at 11:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  Military people, fall in! Gawdzilla Sama 36 4464 October 23, 2018 at 7:35 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  You knew this thread was coming. Foxaèr 42 3242 October 21, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Your ideal home office/computer pit. Gawdzilla Sama 4 742 August 25, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The zombies are coming! Foxaèr 18 1991 May 21, 2018 at 10:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What's yer footcovers at home, cas like? Gawdzilla Sama 28 1237 February 14, 2018 at 7:49 am
Last Post: brewer
  Coming to America Cyberman 49 4181 January 13, 2018 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Electrical short somewhere in my mobile home. Brian37 13 1997 January 9, 2018 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  I'm home Edwardo Piet 9 1752 December 3, 2017 at 7:16 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist