Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Divine Intervention...
Divine Intervention...
At this point in my life it's astonishing for me to say such a thing as this: "That's about the dumbest damn thing I've ever heard"

After paying attention for more than 20. Believe me when I say I've heard some unbelievably dumb things from the righteous flock.

I would imagine most of the Americans on this site know of or heard news reports of a little girl who walked over 3/4 of a mile after a small plane crash in rural Eastern Kentucky. Well I continue to hear that God's loving grace and his personal intervention guided her to a nearby house and to safety.

Other occupants of the plane were: her mother, her father, an older sister and a cousin. Every one of them were killed in the crash. Now I beg someone realise how devastating a loss this poor unfortunate child of 7 has ensured

As always God sure doesn't have to do a whole hell of a lot to earn praise. I'd be an infinitely better choice to run the Universe. But I well know the follies of that tiny minded thinking.

There's no God, no creator doing a damn thing for any of us. You could argue with infinitely more merit and evidence that if anyone is running this mess; well thhorsesen, they're dumb, sadistic, blood thirsty, cruel, insensitive and surely the absolutely sickest of l perverts.

Or you can be an adult. You can realise how precious all life is. You can know how cold and indifferent this existence truly is and take an active role in improving things yourself.

Another option is to sit on your ignorant ass with idle praying hands. Talking to the emptiness like a nut and just hoping for the best. When everything goes all to hell anyway you can explain it away with ever increasing amounts of nonsense and horsehit.

I apologize for some of my language and hope the color doesn't offend anyone. If I've offended religious people, good. You should be. Your insistence in raw stupidity offends me.

Mark, the Landfish
RE: Divine Intervention...
Couldn't agree more. One hand helping does more than a million hands clasped in prayer. The world is shit, and you can either accept that and do what you can to help, or hide behind pathetic delusions that it'll all somehow be OK if you just believe the bullshit hard enough.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 7, 2015 at 5:32 am)Landfish Wrote: I apologize for some of my language and hope the color doesn't offend anyone.

Not even close Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I suppose that's probably the origin of "the lord works in mysterious ways"

I've always thought religion's persistence is aided in greatest part by ignorance. No doubt wishful thinking (especially concerning mortality) is second.

The sad and utterly sickening irony is how lethal ignorance is in myriad forms.

One of the many fatal blows my personal superstition took was seeing the State of Florida
fail to prosecute a young religious couple who prayed for they're child as he succumbed to 345 stings from yellow jackets. A shot of epinephrine would have saved his life. As would have several antihistimines carried by any paramedics or rescue squads.

They had exercised their 1st Amendment rights. I still insist it was homicide.
I agree, that's bullshit. Superstition is not an excuse for neglect.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
You mean that god came down from heaven and stopped these bullets ?
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
In situations like this, you often hear people use the phrase "But for the grace of God, that would have been me." However, these people usually fail to see that the opposite side of the coin is "by the 'grace' of God it was the other people.
Celebrate Reason ● Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]
People are so self absorbed. They have to be to think this whole cosmos is here just for them.

Index of my best videos
And being the beneficiary of a direct intervention implies that they've curried favor in the eyes of the lord, presumably by being a member of the One True Faith and being pious and good.

God wouldn't bother to save a pagan homo atheist would he ??
It's amazing how god's power completely fluctuates in the "One surviver of a terrible tragedy" stories. By all logical accounts, the guy should be able to not only save everyone, but stop the tragedy from even happening.

It kind of gives the impression god's a sick narcissist who does these types of things for the sole purpose of making people shower undue praise on him. Which actually seems to fit with the Bible a lot better than the "all loving" crud his followers seem to think he has going.

(January 7, 2015 at 6:42 am)Landfish Wrote: I suppose that's probably the origin of "the lord works in mysterious ways"

I've always thought religion's persistence is aided in greatest part by ignorance. No doubt wishful thinking (especially concerning mortality) is second.

The sad and utterly sickening irony is how lethal ignorance is in myriad forms.

One of the many fatal blows my personal superstition took was seeing the State of Florida
fail to prosecute a young religious couple who prayed for they're child as he succumbed to 345 stings from yellow jackets. A shot of epinephrine would have saved his life. As would have several antihistimines carried by any paramedics or rescue squads.

They had exercised their 1st Amendment rights. I still insist it was homicide.
Arrgghh I really shouldn't be surprised by stories like this anymore, but damn, they never stop being absolutely horrible. And these people probably still think they deserve heaven.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4757 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  A World Made For Believers, Obviously By The Divine LivingNumbers6.626 17 3498 April 26, 2015 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Razzle
Video Christopher Hitchens - Divine Impulses | Video Woody68 0 1093 April 11, 2013 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Woody68
  How the divine pen of Michel Nostradamus crushed the international atheist movement freethoughtbullies 3 1679 July 30, 2012 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Can Atheists Worship/love the Divine? Yes. Mystic 55 21970 February 19, 2012 at 3:05 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Argument against "Divine Scripture" Tobie 11 7691 January 3, 2012 at 12:22 am
Last Post: houseofcantor