Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you make a God claim?
Can you make a God claim?
This is something I've been wibbling about recently so I thought it's time for another challenge, following the amazing success of the worship one. Here's my challenge to theists.

To my understanding, there are two factors of any claim which decide whether or not the claim is of any use at all. If it fails on any of these, it's pointless and not even worth addressing with argument or evidence. Here we go:

1) Coherent/consistent: The claim has to make sense. You have to define what you are talking about, in clear terms. It must be consistent with itself, and with the things we know about reality. If it's not coherent, there's nothing to test, I don't know what you are even claiming. If it's not consistent with itself, it's impossible. If it's not consistent with reality, it's also impossible, because we would have to throw out everything we think we know already just to consider this new claim. The reason for throwing out any conventional theory would have to be included to make this consistent.

2) Testable: The claim must be able to be investigated, in some way. If you are saying your claim is true, then you are saying you have reached that conclusion via some sort of method. So there must be some clear way in which the claim can be tested to find out whether it is true or not. If there is no way to test it, then that means the claim is either only true "for you" which makes it meaningless to anyone else, or it's just an assertion not backed by anything as you've refused to say how you even got to it in the first place. If there is no way to test your claim, no one can determine whether it is right or wrong. And if this is the case, no one can prove whether the opposite claim is right or wrong, either. So you are just arbitrarily choosing one of two positions, with no rational reason.

So my challenge is, can anyone come up with a non-trivial claim about God that meets these criteria? I have yet to see a single one. Only at that point does it make sense to even consider the evidence being presented, and to find out whether the claim is true, or most likely true.

Also, if you want to present a case that claims which don't meet these criteria are still of any value to people other than yourself, please do.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Can you make a God claim?
I can not think of a single one.
(January 8, 2015 at 10:54 am)Nope Wrote: I can not think of a single one.

I second that.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Hehe Smile Ignosticism bitches. OK I'll give them a bit more time before I print the t-shirts.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Not all forms of knowledge are testable. There are no empirical tests for mathematical proofs or the validity of logical propositions. Likewise the subjects of metaphysics are a higher order of inquiry than those of the natural sciences that depend on their validity.
Most of the reasons that Christians give for believing in god involves their feelings. "I've had a person experience with Jesus and felt him in my heart" which means that the person's good mood must be caused by Jesus.

I am surprised that more theists haven't taken you up on this challange
Abstract notions like mathematics can be proved with logic.

Claims about reality require evidence. Metaphysics means nothing if you can't define or test it, it's indistinguishable from nothing.

If you claim you have knowledge, then you must have tested it. Otherwise you have made it up.

Index of my best videos
(January 8, 2015 at 10:32 am)robvalue Wrote: This is something I've been wibbling about recently so I thought it's time for another challenge, following the amazing success of the worship one. Here's my challenge to theists.

To my understanding, there are two factors of any claim which decide whether or not the claim is of any use at all. If it fails on any of these, it's pointless and not even worth addressing with argument or evidence. Here we go:

1) Coherent/consistent: The claim has to make sense. You have to define what you are talking about, in clear terms. It must be consistent with itself, and with the things we know about reality. If it's not coherent, there's nothing to test, I don't know what you are even claiming. If it's not consistent with itself, it's impossible. If it's not consistent with reality, it's also impossible, because we would have to throw out everything we think we know already just to consider this new claim. The reason for throwing out any conventional theory would have to be included to make this consistent.

2) Testable: The claim must be able to be investigated, in some way. If you are saying your claim is true, then you are saying you have reached that conclusion via some sort of method. So there must be some clear way in which the claim can be tested to find out whether it is true or not. If there is no way to test it, then that means the claim is either only true "for you" which makes it meaningless to anyone else, or it's just an assertion not backed by anything as you've refused to say how you even got to it in the first place. If there is no way to test your claim, no one can determine whether it is right or wrong. And if this is the case, no one can prove whether the opposite claim is right or wrong, either. So you are just arbitrarily choosing one of two positions, with no rational reason.

So my challenge is, can anyone come up with a non-trivial claim about God that meets these criteria? I have yet to see a single one. Only at that point does it make sense to even consider the evidence being presented, and to find out whether the claim is true, or most likely true.

Also, if you want to present a case that claims which don't meet these criteria are still of any value to people other than yourself, please do.

Luke 17:20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The Kingdom of God cometh not with observation:

God's not going to prove anything to you, it's the other way around, you have to prove something to him.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
(January 8, 2015 at 11:08 am)Nope Wrote: Most of the reasons that Christians give for believing in god involves their feelings. "I've had a person experience with Jesus and felt him in my heart" which means that the person's good mood must be caused by Jesus.

I am surprised that more theists haven't taken you up on this challange

Where is GC when we need him.
Popcorn
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
So far theists' answer to Robo's question is no.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creator God Gets to Make the Rules zwanzig 25 2046 August 6, 2023 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11154 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  God can make infinitely more special/valuable things than this universe blue grey brain 84 9553 December 17, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3749 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  What would you do if you found out God can't possibly exist? Succubus 21 4624 October 7, 2017 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If God of Abraham is true, then why didnt he use his intelligent design to make a new Roeki 129 44904 July 9, 2017 at 2:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3617 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 6460 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god Blueyedlion 160 15599 June 5, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused Delicate 382 57724 November 3, 2015 at 11:12 am
Last Post: drfuzzy