Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution and popcorn
Evolution and popcorn
So I haven't posted on these forums before, but this has been bugging me and for some reason this seemed like the best place to find an answer. So -

I fully subscribe to evolution in every way.

But the problem remains.

What, exactly, is the evolutionary advantage of popping into a tasty snack under hot, dry conditions? This is a stonger validation of God's existence than the banana any day...

Any thoughts?
RE: Evolution and popcorn
If you were truly subscribed to evolution in every way then you wouldn't be asking such a daft question now would you? Dodgy
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Quote:What, exactly, is the evolutionary advantage of popping into a tasty snack under hot, dry conditions?

If you knew anything about maize you would understand that it is not a result of evolution by natural selection but rather a domesticated wild grass.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...212037.htm

Quote:ScienceDaily (Mar. 25, 2009) — Maize was domesticated from its wild ancestor more than 8700 years according to biological evidence uncovered by researchers in the Mexico's Central Balsas River Valley. This is the earliest dated evidence -- by 1200 years -- for the presence and use of domesticated maize.

Somehow I doubt that pre-historic Mexicans gave a rat's ass about popcorn but you'd have to ask them as they were the "designers." The domestication of maize, btw, provides an interesting insight into a complex, multi-generational task of bioengineering which most scholars would assert was beyond the abilities of "primitive" man.

Yet.... there it is.
(March 1, 2010 at 11:32 am)aedh23 Wrote: This is a stonger validation of God's existence than the banana any day...

Any thoughts?

Stronger? As if the banana had any strength at all. I think "theist" would be a better religious view than "noncommital" for you.

Rhizo
The popping occurs due to the heating up of water and oils inside the kernel, this leads to steam which increases pressure inside and pops the kernel, there must be some advantage to the water inside the kernel, the tasty snack is a side effect.

I can only suggest that an advantage of the water inside would perhaps be to sustain the plant's growth during the early stages of germination, but i don't really know why there would be water in seeds for sure Sad
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
(March 1, 2010 at 11:32 am)aedh23 Wrote: What, exactly, is the evolutionary advantage of popping into a tasty snack under hot, dry conditions? This is a stonger validation of God's existence than the banana any day...

Unless hot, dry conditions involved being stuffed into a microwave or hot surface thoroughly outside the range of environment the object came from.

Next you'll be saying that God exists because bacon tastes so good.

I mean really, what exactly is the evolutionary advantage of tasting good with eggs under hot, oily circumstances?
Quote:Next you'll be saying that God exists because bacon tastes so good.

Must be why the bastard keeps trying to ban it.

[Image: baconpop_whitebg-3.jpg]
(March 1, 2010 at 4:38 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Next you'll be saying that God exists because bacon tastes so good.

Must be why the bastard keeps trying to ban it.

[Image: baconpop_whitebg-3.jpg]

America has BACON popcorn?

I take back a couple of the mean, snide and even vicious things I've said about America and its people.Only a truly great and sophisticated civilisation could have produced anything as wonderful.

Of course a pig might say only a country in a state of terminal triviality could produce something as useless. Angel Cloud
(March 1, 2010 at 8:32 pm)padraic Wrote: America has BACON popcorn?

I take back a couple of the mean, snide and even vicious things I've said about America and its people.Only a truly great and sophisticated civilisation could have produced anything as wonderful.

:

Not to mention edible panties!

[Image: 51LnEB2NKsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg]
Quote: Not to mention edible panties!

Not the same thing at all. We have them here. We don't have bacon flavoured popcorn.

Besides, edible panties were invented by Kevin Rudd (grandfather of our Prime Minister) in 1931.

Some pussy yank (ahem) flavoured them and made them out of digestible material a generation later, which gives women a yeast infection and men mouth ulcers. Kev made the originals out of vulcanised rubber. Sadly, they never really took off here.Devil

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chemical evolution of amino acids and proteins ? Impossible !! Otangelo 56 8886 January 10, 2020 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Vision and Evolution (A Critique of Dawkins) John 6IX Breezy 680 65825 August 26, 2019 at 9:00 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Theory of Evolution, Atheism, and Homophobia. RayOfLight 31 4963 October 25, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Evolution and the Texas Sharp Shooter Fallacy Clueless Morgan 12 2256 July 9, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  生物学101:Genetics and Evolution. Duke Guilmon 2 2134 March 14, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Death and Evolution Exian 4 1833 November 2, 2014 at 11:45 am
Last Post: abaris
  Myths and misconceptions about evolution - Alex Gendler Gooders1002 2 2023 July 8, 2013 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30295 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Evolution, the Bible, and the 3.5 Million Dollar Violin - my article Jeffonthenet 99 56024 September 4, 2012 at 11:50 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  difference between Micro and macro evolution Gooders1002 21 8916 May 19, 2012 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Polaris