Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:34 am

Poll: "Coming to be is for the sake of being, not being for the sake of coming to be."
This poll is closed.
I completely agree.
19.05%
4 19.05%
I sort of agree.
9.52%
2 9.52%
*shrugs*
66.67%
14 66.67%
I sort of disagree.
0%
0 0%
I completely disagree.
4.76%
1 4.76%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your opinion on the following statement:
Your opinion on the following statement:
"Coming to be is for the sake of being, not being for the sake of coming to be." - Aristotle
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Your opinion on the following statement:
Most things I do are for the sake of coming Angel
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Maybe it made sense in Greek?
I'm thinking either something was lost in the translation, -or- Aristotle was a bit of a twat.
The rest of the quote I have goes:

"Hence Empedocles was wrong in saying that many attributes belong to animals because it happened so in their coming to be, for instance that their backbone is such because it happened to get broken by bending."

:-|
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
I don't get it. Is this another "meaning in life" question?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(January 12, 2015 at 11:55 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I don't get it. Is this another "meaning in life" question?
Seems to be a statement opposed rather to the use of chance in explanation.
This reminds me of arguments we had a few months back about particles, objects and reality. Let's say there's a wave of water. We know it's made up of particles, but we treat it like an entity. So is it more correct to say that the particles are an expression of an underlying truth-- waveness-- or simply that our word "wave" is just a label for what we see water doing?

I interpret "coming to be" as referring to whatever processes organize disparate particles into something that, while made of those particles, can also be said to have a singular existence, and "being" as the thing. So the question if I'm right is: are things just the course expression of underlying truths, or are the things themselves the truths, and the underlying forces the mechanism by which those truths are expressed? To reference your comment about chance-- what is the chance that the particular collection of water molecules in an ocean would form into a particular wave? Infinitesimal. But what is the chance that the wave will form on the ocean? 100%, I think, in Aristotle's view-- the ocean "uses" the mechanisms of QM, gravity, etc. to manifest a wave.

It seems to me that Aristotle is essentially a kind of physico-idealist, i.e. that he thinks the forms, shapes, colors etc. that we experience are reality, and that the underlying physical mechanisms (which we currently have at QM) are subservient to that reality. I agree with this: I think that the world could exist as we experience it with a different underlying mechanism (i.e. if we were in the Matrix or in the Mind of God), but I do not think that there would really be any meaning to those mechanisms without the objects which supervene on them. So to look at the wave example in QM-- there's no reason for QM particles to manifest, and no reason why they would manifest as objects, some of which have names and argue on forums; but since the existence of things is (apparently) a philosophical necessity, then the QM particles represent a flexible enough mechanism to allow things to manifest.

Or. . . fuck Arisotle, he's just pulling shit out of his ass. I'm pretty sure one of those two positions is right. Tongue

--edit--
Also, kiss my ass for adding additional context about the OP quotation as a separate post, rendering much of my voodoo search for meaning into what would now be considered a weak debating point in a discussion about evolution. Big Grin
(January 13, 2015 at 12:05 am)bennyboy Wrote: This reminds me of arguments we had a few months back about particles, objects and reality. Let's say there's a wave of water. We know it's made up of particles, but we treat it like an entity. So is it more correct to say that the particles are an expression of an underlying truth-- waveness-- or simply that our word "wave" is just a label for what we see water doing?

I interpret "coming to be" as referring to whatever processes organize disparate particles into something that, while made of those particles, can also be said to have a singular existence, and "being" as the thing. So the question if I'm right is: are things just the course expression of underlying truths, or are the things themselves the truths, and the underlying forces the mechanism by which those truths are expressed? To reference your comment about chance-- what is the chance that the particular collection of water molecules in an ocean would form into a particular wave? Infinitesimal. But what is the chance that the wave will form on the ocean? 100%, I think, in Aristotle's view-- the ocean "uses" the mechanisms of QM, gravity, etc. to manifest a wave.

It seems to me that Aristotle is essentially a kind of physico-idealist, i.e. that he thinks the forms, shapes, colors etc. that we experience are reality, and that the underlying physical mechanisms (which we currently have at QM) are subservient to that reality. I agree with this: I think that the world could exist as we experience it with a different underlying mechanism (i.e. if we were in the Matrix or in the Mind of God), but I do not think that there would really be any meaning to those mechanisms without the objects which supervene on them. So to look at the wave example in QM-- there's no reason for QM particles to manifest, and no reason why they would manifest as objects, some of which have names and argue on forums; but since the existence of things is (apparently) a philosophical necessity, then the QM particles represent a flexible enough mechanism to allow things to manifest.

Or. . . fuck Arisotle, he's just pulling shit out of his ass. I'm pretty sure one of those two positions is right. Tongue

--edit--
Also, kiss my ass for adding additional context about the OP quotation as a separate post, rendering much of my voodoo search for meaning into what would now be considered a weak debating point in a discussion about evolution. Big Grin
Great post! I especially like what you said in the second paragraph.

On a mostly unrelated side note, it's pretty badass that ancient humans like some of the presocratic Greek philosophers explained motion with Love and Strife and modern physics describes such apparently symmetrical properties of positive and negative charge.
(January 12, 2015 at 11:55 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: The rest of the quote I have goes:

"Hence Empedocles was wrong in saying that many attributes belong to animals because it happened so in their coming to be, for instance that their backbone is such because it happened to get broken by bending."

:-|

Well this makes it more concrete, so it is very useful context to make *any sense* of the first statement. What we can say for sure is that, indeed, empedocles was wrong here concerning.the details, but more correct than aristoteles: animals are indeed the way they are because "it" (natural selection) happened so in their coming to be. However, I get the feeling that precise meanings of words matter here...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In your opinion purplepurpose 20 5310 July 9, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  General statement to theists who read this. Brian37 24 3371 April 11, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Jeanne
Video The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work Mental Outlaw 1346 249036 July 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5393 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9161 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins
  Opinion on this Creed Kingpin 80 15575 July 25, 2015 at 5:41 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Going to a Roman Catholic school and expressing my opinion. piterski123 7 3363 April 28, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  How to deal with opposite opinion marianomanto 8 4019 August 25, 2014 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Esquilax
Question Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Mudhammam 29 5442 August 22, 2014 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Goosebump
  In my opinion most important Hitchens debate tor 0 1407 March 24, 2014 at 3:13 am
Last Post: tor