Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Example of American Hysteria
An Example of American Hysteria
http://blog.nj.com/njv_editorial_page/20...e_for.html

In short, during February vacation, (The parasites get a week off from school during the week of Presidents Day) a father brought his children to work and let them talk to pilots giving the directions. The father was still in control, the pilots were mostly amused or unfazed by it. Nothing terrible happened, so of course EVERYONE IS FLIPPING THEIR SHIT.

It has been all over the news with people soo outraged. I watch the Today show every morning for about 15 minutes while I get ready for work and they had a guy on who was like "What's next, children performing surgery?" Ughh, terrible slippery slope argument.

My opinion, nothing bad happened, so give the dude a slap on the wrist, strengthen rules about air traffic control and move the fuck on.

Maybe I feel this way because air travel does not scare me like it does many people, but still, it's just absurd the way people are freaking out about it.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: An Example of American Hysteria
There are times when we seem to go out of our way to look ridiculous.
The big deal is that only FAA licensed airport employees are supposed to be in the tower. That's it. It was a breach of security for the kid to even be in there, much less tell pilots where to go. I understand the pilots were light hearted, and I do agree that it was blown out of proportion, but I also understand why America is edgy with this sort of thing. This happened a few miles away from my house and I saw it on my local news.

It basically exposes a chink in the armor, not something you'd want in a country that takes terrorism pretty seriously. You can't say the word "bomb" in an airport, or joke about it. Seriously, they have signs when you go through the terminal.
The problem with the editorial in the OP is that it seems to omit the fact that the controller got permission from a supervisor.
(March 4, 2010 at 12:43 pm)tavarish Wrote: The big deal is that only FAA licensed airport employees are supposed to be in the tower. That's it. It was a breach of security for the kid to even be in there, much less tell pilots where to go. I understand the pilots were light hearted, and I do agree that it was blown out of proportion, but I also understand why America is edgy with this sort of thing. This happened a few miles away from my house and I saw it on my local news.

It basically exposes a chink in the armor, not something you'd want in a country that takes terrorism pretty seriously. You can't say the word "bomb" in an airport, or joke about it. Seriously, they have signs when you go through the terminal.

Have to agree there T. The breech in security protocols is of a GREATER issue (on a scale a major WOOPS!) than the fact that the Traffic controler coached and Prompted his children to direct the planes piolts. I think the "terroism" threat is getting way out of control and is pandering to terrorist....but that is a seperate issue.

Heard that the Traffic Controler and his Supervisor have been sacked (or the equivalent suspension) over the issue which I think is appropriate...sympathies though to both men and their families.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 4, 2010 at 12:15 pm)Minimalist Wrote: There are times when we seem to go out of our way to look ridiculous.

I assure you it's completely unnecessary. Angel
(March 4, 2010 at 12:43 pm)tavarish Wrote: The big deal is that only FAA licensed airport employees are supposed to be in the tower. That's it. It was a breach of security for the kid to even be in there, much less tell pilots where to go. I understand the pilots were light hearted, and I do agree that it was blown out of proportion, but I also understand why America is edgy with this sort of thing. This happened a few miles away from my house and I saw it on my local news.

I understand the concerns....but, there's a difference between recognizing a flaw and correcting it and FREAKING THE FUCK OUT. The media is overreacting way to much. I saw one clip where the reporter went to a person at Logan airport and told them about this before they were getting on a plane and news anchor commented "Probably not something she wants to hear before flying." That was a facepalm moment.

Of course, I live in Boston, THE KING OF OVERREACTING!

Litebrights anyone?

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(March 5, 2010 at 9:52 am)Eilonnwy Wrote:

I understand the concerns....but, there's a difference between recognizing a flaw and correcting it and FREAKING THE FUCK OUT. The media is overreacting way to much. I saw one clip where the reporter went to a person at Logan airport and told them about this before they were getting on a plane and news anchor commented "Probably not something she wants to hear before flying." That was a facepalm moment.

Of course, I live in Boston, THE KING OF OVERREACTING!

Litebrights anyone?

[Image: aqua-teen-hunger-force-lite-brite.jpg]

The FAA isn't very lighthearted when it comes to security breaches, but the main concern is that it got out to the press, who ran with it. When it's recognized, obviously the public will freak out because it's something they can't control and will assume that it's been going on like this for quite some time. Pretty infantile and delusional, but that's what happens when you tell a bunch of overly sensitive and irrational people something they don't want to hear.
What the hell are litebrights?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lite-Brite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_bomb_scare

Read and learn, Leo.

And then cry for Boston's sanity.
(March 5, 2010 at 10:07 am)tavarish Wrote: The FAA isn't very lighthearted when it comes to security breaches, but the main concern is that it got out to the press, who ran with it. When it's recognized, obviously the public will freak out because it's something they can't control and will assume that it's been going on like this for quite some time. Pretty infantile and delusional, but that's what happens when you tell a bunch of overly sensitive and irrational people something they don't want to hear.

Oh come on, blame the public for the media's overreacting? I'm not saying the public are sane and rational, because, hello, not true. HOWEVER, it doesn't help when the media goes fucking apeshit. Maybe the public feeds the media's paranoia or vice versa, either way, it's getting ridiculous. The media needs to be more responsible and then maybe people won't freak out about every possible way they can die by terrorism while they blissfully die in a car crash.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Heart American Gods & The Young Pope AnubisBarba 4 415 March 25, 2020 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  [Serious] The American beer thread Jackalope 10 874 September 30, 2019 at 9:39 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  A tale of American healthcare as told through one Doctor visit Figbash 14 1632 December 7, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Say Farewell To An American Icon Minimalist 33 2250 October 16, 2018 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Schwa
  What is a good example of a paradox? ƵenKlassen 62 8330 December 4, 2017 at 8:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What the hell is going on with American girls? brewer 14 2111 November 23, 2017 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know" ErGingerbreadMandude 24 3905 January 25, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  American gun laws summed up in memes dyresand 158 20134 February 12, 2016 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Thanksgiving. American holiday, all nations welcome Owlix 17 4414 November 28, 2013 at 11:52 am
Last Post: c172
  Smithsonian Mag's Free North American museum ticket day. Captain Colostomy 4 1470 September 26, 2013 at 2:32 am
Last Post: Captain Colostomy