Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testing the strength of your Atheism
Testing the strength of your Atheism
Say you were in building in an earthquake zone and a large earthquake struck.
You were buried and in great pain as concrete trapped your legs and arms.
The hours went by and you heard some activity outside.

As days then passed without any rescue would you then decide to pray
to be rescued as a kinda last resort as the pain increased even more? Thinking
"When a star twinkles I will sit and stare.
When the Earth trembles I will be aware.
When oblivion takes me I shall not care,
For in Earth and in Heaven, I have been there."
Richard
RE: Testing the strength of your Atheism
Maybe. But then again I might also start wishing Superman would come and get me.
No one would help me. Praying is too quiet. No real people would hear.
It depends what you mean by pray: If you meant hope against hope for rescue, or thinking about my family in a reverent light, or feel sorry for myself for my immanent death, or if I was saved, the long recovery - yes. But, I may be looking into the question too deeply, because I'm presuming you mean asking the bearded dude for salvation, and that answer would be no.

If you're a sock who's fishing to convert the heathens, nice try... If you aren't, welcome.
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
Epicurus
(January 21, 2015 at 1:14 am)PreV2 Wrote: would you then decide to pray

No.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Not unless the pain makes me lose my mind and I start doing crazy things.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 21, 2015 at 1:36 am)404NotFound Wrote: It depends what you mean by pray: If you meant hope against hope for rescue, or thinking about my family in a reverent light, or feel sorry for myself for my immanent death, or if I was saved, the long recovery - yes. But, I may be looking into the question too deeply, because I'm presuming you mean asking the bearded dude for salvation, and that answer would be no.

Yes, I meant praying to a God for help which, up till now, you didn't believe in.
You would have nothing to loose except your self esteem.
(January 21, 2015 at 1:36 am)404NotFound Wrote: If you're a sock who's fishing to convert the heathens, nice try... If you aren't, welcome.
As an Atheist myself I'm hardly likely to try conversion of others to a belief in any God.

But being buried alive is an interesting test for one's Atheism.
"When a star twinkles I will sit and stare.
When the Earth trembles I will be aware.
When oblivion takes me I shall not care,
For in Earth and in Heaven, I have been there."
Richard
I honestly don't know how I would react in such extreme circumstances.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

AW: RE: Testing the strength of your Atheism
(January 21, 2015 at 2:14 am)Alex K Wrote: I honestly don't know how I would react in such extreme circumstances.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.
(January 21, 2015 at 2:17 am)Vosur Wrote:
(January 21, 2015 at 2:14 am)Alex K Wrote: I honestly don't know how I would react in such extreme circumstances.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

But all things being equal, I'd probably try to go for a deal with the devil Thinking
At least you can talk to that guy. God tends to be all - no you are damned for eternity, I'll smite you unto the seventh generation. And your city too. And your dog's cousin. And your dog's cousin's owner's hamster. No thanks.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 4883 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sharing your atheism james hart 15 1635 April 24, 2020 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  Informing aging relatives of your Atheism Bahana 7 1242 October 7, 2018 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Bahana
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 22782 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26870 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? Lucanus 113 25405 April 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Poll: What is your Specific Level of Atheism? camlov2019 68 7889 January 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: flagbears
  How open are you with your Atheism? Casca 88 9503 November 3, 2016 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  So how do you deal with your atheism around the holidays GoHalos1993 22 4045 December 8, 2015 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12377 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott