Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophical Quietism
Philosophical Quietism
I'm growing more sympathetic to the following views:

"We sense that there is a heady metaphysical thesis at stake in these debates over realism—a question on a par with the issues Kant first raised about the status of nature. But after a point, when every attempt to say just what the issue is has come up empty, we have no real choice but to conclude that despite all the wonderful, suggestive imagery, there is ultimately nothing in the neighborhood to discuss (1994: 279)."

"Quietism is the view that significant metaphysical debate between realism and non-realism is impossible."

"Quietism about the ‘debate’ between realists and their opponents can take a number of forms. One form might claim that the idea of a significant debate is generated by unsupported or unsupportable philosophical theses about the relationship of the experiencing and minded subject to their world, and that once these theses are exorcised the ‘debate’ will gradually wither away."
-http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/realism/#8
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
RE: Philosophical Quietism
[Image: idealism.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
That debate certainly would be impossible if it involved me because it all went over my head :p Is this all that stuff about things being a conscious construct and all that noise?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 11, 2015 at 4:27 pm)rasetsu Wrote:

Not really. It's a non-idealism and non-realism thread. Wink
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
You might find this article in The New Yorker interesting:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/06/30/the-itch

Unfortunately, they follow the usual fashion these days by telling a story before telling you what the article is all about. So you will have to read a bit to get to what is most likely to interest you. Here is a quote from it:
  • The images in our mind are extraordinarily rich. We can tell if something is liquid or solid, heavy or light, dead or alive. But the information we work from is poor—a distorted, two-dimensional transmission with entire spots missing. So the mind fills in most of the picture. You can get a sense of this from brain-anatomy studies. If visual sensations were primarily received rather than constructed by the brain, you’d expect that most of the fibres going to the brain’s primary visual cortex would come from the retina. Instead, scientists have found that only twenty per cent do; eighty per cent come downward from regions of the brain governing functions like memory. Richard Gregory, a prominent British neuropsychologist, estimates that visual perception is more than ninety per cent memory and less than ten per cent sensory nerve signals.

Or, you might instead prefer:
  • Ah! that is clearly a metaphysical speculation, and like most metaphysical speculations has very little reference at all to the actual facts of real life, as we know them.
— Gwendolen in The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/844/844-h/844-h.htm

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
For those of you curious about the historical context of the debate I offer the following:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11090c.htm
To be fair, it's not an issue that's hotly debated on street-corners or in pubs. In the context of a forum like this one, it's probably as much an ongoing mental workout as anything else: looking for logical errors, defining terms, digging up new fallacy names to throw at your opponents, etc. Tongue
Sounds like a lot of work that will acheive very little.

Remind me why I like philosophy again?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(February 11, 2015 at 8:32 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Sounds like a lot of work that will acheive very little.

Remind me why I like philosophy again?
Because there's nothing good on TV, and you need a couple hours' break before you masturbate again. Or maybe I'm just projecting.
(February 11, 2015 at 6:52 pm)bennyboy Wrote: To be fair, it's not an issue that's hotly debated on street-corners or in pubs. In the context of a forum like this one, it's probably as much an ongoing mental workout as anything else: looking for logical errors, defining terms, digging up new fallacy names to throw at your opponents, etc. Tongue
That's mostly why I think about these kinds of things. The value for me is more extrinsic than intrinsic.

(February 11, 2015 at 8:32 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Sounds like a lot of work that will acheive very little.
That's academia in general for ya.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video thread for interesting philosophical discussions on YouTube and elsewhere GrandizerII 2 303 August 26, 2020 at 8:43 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Philosophical zombies robvalue 131 15471 March 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  A Philosophical Conundrum BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1749 October 27, 2017 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Philosophical zombie. robybar 3 1612 June 8, 2017 at 8:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" bennyboy 12 2105 March 31, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: henryp
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12609 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2885 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A Great Philosophical Question. Pyrrho 26 6549 September 28, 2015 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  One philosophical argument for existence of supernatural. Mystic 59 15782 July 20, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Philosophical Underpinnings for Rejecting God learncritic 28 8944 June 1, 2015 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: ignoramus