Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Atheism truly frowned upon in America?
Is Atheism truly frowned upon in America?
I'm just asking this, I am truly intrigued by how Atheism is treated in America.

In England, Atheism is normal and mostly accepted. Judea-Christianity is almost non-existent in public life and the institution is seen as very boring by many. The leader of the Liberal-Democrats, Nick Clegg who runs the Coalition government with the Prime-Minister is an Atheist.

Now when it comes to America, forgive me if I am ignorant in regards to this, but I have watched interviews and documentaries which show that people believe Atheists are 'immoral', Atheists can't hold high-ranking governmental jobs and it's generally frowned upon?

I could be wrong, but that's the message I've gotten when watching such videos. If true, then has anyone experienced this? Amazing to see the difference in England..

Damn it. Made it in the wrong forum.
RE: Is Atheism truly frowned upon in America?
I think that it depends on where you live. People in the south east view atheism more negatively than other regions in the country
Seeing that atheists are the most distrusted minority in pretty much every area that's been surveyed, yes.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Socially it may be looked down upon, but who gives a shit. That's just like their opinion. If you plan on holding office, you better start going to church, no matter the state or region.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Yes, the south east is the only area where I've encountered prejudice. I have never been shy about telling people I'm an atheist and have had few problems. I don't know if the people I've known would have voted for me for President though. Tongue
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I've publicly come out as an atheist a few years past. Considering that I own a business in a small red-state town, I thought it was a risky move. It has not affected my business nor has it harmed any personal relationships. I can't speak for Americans who live in the south, where bible thumping takes on an entirely different level, but in my part of the country, people seem to have an indifferent attitude - at least to my face. It's been my experience that it's a lot to do about nothing.
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
Epicurus
The short answer is yes.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
*deleted*
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
It's largely a phenomenon of public policy where we are "frowned upon." There are still states where there are laws that atheists cannot hold public office. We are less trusted than convicted felons in some areas. But does it effect our personal lives? Not really.

There are enough people without religion---or who don't take religion that seriously any more---that religious fundamentalists can't get away with all the things they want to get away with any longer. What used to be a sermon about failing morality is now being called what it is--bigotry and hate speech. They still have the same soapbox, however. Secular society is moving towards a place where religion is less visible, less of a daily thought. And religious people are kicking and screaming. This is why it seems like we are so discriminated.

We are the scapegoat. We godless few in America are the reason why gays are getting married, we are teaching children that they aren't Jesus' special idea, we are taking away their crosses, we are taking away their guns and at the same time shooting up their schools. And we put up billboards.

But they don't know who we are, really. The vast, overwhelming majority of atheists in America don't advertise their disbelief, don't harass people, limit their debating to the comments section of TheBlaze. So we don't actually experience much directed hate.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
No, it's frowned upon by idiots. America just happens to have a lot of those, and especially confident, vocal ones at that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4451 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why are Atheists in America ok with cannibalism through consent Kaloomi 67 10912 June 23, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  These People Truly Have No Limits athstmike 18 3217 June 13, 2018 at 3:22 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1114 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27095 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Destruction of America by Atheists Loading Please Wait 25 3899 December 5, 2016 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Quixotic
  Why is Atheism more controversial in America than Europe? TheMessiah 19 4326 June 6, 2015 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: JuliaL
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12466 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12135 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  The Image Problem With Atheism in America Polaris 165 14579 August 14, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Polaris