Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Atheism more controversial in America than Europe?
Why is Atheism more controversial in America than Europe?
In Europe, Atheism seems....normal, which I don't think is the case for America.
RE: Why is Atheism more controversial in America than Europe?
You don't have American Jesus:

[Image: newamericanjesus.gif]
Too many nutty Southern Baptists.
Because in Europe religion disapproves of atheism, in the US religion & politicians disapprove. Politics is a field of compromise, practicality and rhetoric. Religion is a field of dogma, superstition and a subconscious terror of displeasing your imaginary friend.
I don't mean this in a condescending way, but I sometimes feel sorry for atheists in the US. Although I know there are far worse places to be an atheist (At least it isn't punishable by law). I've also noticed that American atheists usually seem more aggressive, maybe because they feel constantly on the defensive.
Luck of the draw that I was born in a pretty secular town.
Quote:More than 35% of constituents say they do not practice a religion, which is above the national average, according to figures from the ONS 2011 Census for England and Wales. Source
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~ George Bernard Shaw
It's called: education. And no - home-schooling isn't it.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(June 5, 2015 at 10:32 pm)Ashground Wrote: ...
I don't mean this in a condescending way, but I sometimes feel sorry for atheists in the US. Although I know there are far worse places to be an atheist (At least it isn't punishable by law). I've also noticed that American atheists usually seem more aggressive, maybe because they feel constantly on the defensive. ...

Two things.  First, you are right that American atheists often seem more aggressive online.  This is because atheists are regarded as the worst villains possible here, and are, as you say, on the defensive.  (You might suppose it is hyperbole to say that atheists are regarded as the worst villains possible here.  I invite you to research the matter online and see for yourself that I am telling you the truth.)  Second, we feel sorry for ourselves, that we are not in a more civilized country where atheism is the norm.

Until you have lived in a society that is filled with religious crazies trying to shove their religion down everyone's throats, it is probably very difficult to imagine how upsetting it is.  Even if you visited, it would not be the same for you, as you would know that you may go home and be safe.  We are pretty well stuck here.

Obviously, you are right that there are worse places for atheists than the U.S., but that is no comfort to me.  That someone else has it worse does not make me feel better.  I would be happier if everyone else had it better, as I gain nothing from others being worse off.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Do we know this for sure? I mean, Rome is in Europe, wouldn't that be like our South?
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I'm sure the US will eventually grow out of it.
[DELETE LINE]
I hope the US will eventually grow out of it.

Although I doubt - I'm an atheist, it's what I do - that this will happen any time soon.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~ George Bernard Shaw
I think it's because America was (not) founded on Christian principles.

I too really sympathise. I know I've got it easy, in terms of religious nutters. That's one of the big reasons I wanted to join an atheist community to help provide some relief from the madness.

It's hard to say exactly what the cause is, but I think the point about politics is a very valid one. There's nothing like the kind of preaching and religious bias in our politics. Shit as it is, if anyone started talking about "what God wants" in a campaign speech, they would probably have committed career suicide.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Because the Europeans were smart enough to send all the religious nuts over here back in 1942.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4924 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I love cats and monkies more, than god Interaktive 14 1034 August 26, 2022 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4438 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3495 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Do Christians really contribut to society more than atheists Asmodee 12 4470 June 27, 2018 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why are Atheists in America ok with cannibalism through consent Kaloomi 67 10891 June 23, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 5951 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25918 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1110 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2193 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet