Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Opera Recording.
Favorite Opera Recording.
I am sure this will be a short thread with few participants, but being popular isn't everything.

My favorite opera recording is of:

Il barbiere di Siviglia
(The Barber of Seville)
by Gioachino Rossini
Conducted by Giuseppe Patanè, and featuring Cecilia Bartoli.

This is a great recording of this comic opera, with all of the performances good, with great sound. It achieves the manic quality that this sort of opera requires. I listen to this recording more than to any other complete opera.

What used to be my favorite was:

Madama Butterfly
(Madame Butterfly)
by Giacomo Puccini
Conducted by Herbert von Karajan, and featuring Mirella Freni.

This is also a great recording, and widely regarded as the best ever recording of Madama Butterfly. This is a very realistic, and tragic, opera. Certainly, if this is your favorite, I will not object to your choice. You must have at least some good taste.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
RE: Favorite Opera Recording.
Il Barbiere is fantastic, so is Mozart's Il Nozze di Figaro.

One of my favorite recordings is a 1980-ish recording of L'Italiana in Algieri by the Stuttgart Opera. Funny as hell.
I had a lot of fun with this one in high school and college. Actually, I auditioned with it for college, among other auditions. From The Medium:

And the one I've always wanted to pull off, from the Magic Flute, the Queen of the Night aria (maybe the most difficult aria for a coloratura soprano ever written) (and don't watch her face; it's a bit creepy):

The (centenary) Wagner Ring by Chéreau, Boulez conducting, here's a recording of the last part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ww4JHkloa8

On a less gloomy note, I really like baroque music though, and this I find very nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFN5TZ-0...962BB8A7BC
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Quote:And the one I've always wanted to pull off, from the Magic Flute, the Queen of the Night aria

She's magnificent!
(February 13, 2015 at 1:09 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: (and don't watch her face; it's a bit creepy):

Well, she is supposed to be an evil scheming one, isn't she? Smile

But jeez the singer is a machine!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(February 13, 2015 at 2:55 am)Alex K Wrote: The (centenary) Wagner Ring by Chéreau, Boulez conducting, here's a recording of the last part

As much as I like Boulez, I have to ask, no love for the Solti version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkOiKy6sXfM

Other than that, my favourite recording is

Don Giovanni
by W.A. Mozart
Cond. Wilhelm Furtwangler (1954 Salzburg Festival recording):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWsPtq4RkVk

And yes, to find that this excellent performance was not only filmed, but in colour, is nothing short of a miracle.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I don't know it really, shall check it out! While I liked the chereau production itself, I'm not a big fan of the whole abstract "director's theater" that got started in that time.

I didn't know that there were furtwängler films of such quality!

Lotte Lehmann's version of Der Ring
I just remembered Renee Fleming's birthday is tomorrow. Happy Birthday, Renee!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Scenes from Favorite Fiims chimp3 46 3488 February 10, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Athene
  Your favorite tv shows NOW vs. your favorite tv shows of all time Casca 14 1736 January 15, 2017 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Opera BrokenQuill92 19 5595 January 9, 2014 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Information Recording Causing Tradition Tea Earl Grey Hot 4 931 January 1, 2014 at 11:34 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot