Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 8:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I'm still not a Christian.
Why I'm still not a Christian.
Premise: There is something greater than myself.

Hypothesis #1: that something is the grand everything, maker of it all who has nothing better to do than dote on every minor decision I make with an eye to judging my merit and/or guiding me.

Hypothesis #2: that something is an aspect of consciousness which includes me but is more than me. The totality of myself has an interest in my doings since it is inextricably tied up with me.

Umm .. I find the second option less .. I don't know .. insanely self absorbed and ..what's the word I'm looking for .. grandiose. That's the one. Yep, it is just a lot less extravagant to attribute that which is greater than myself to the organism/consciousness that gives rise to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful as hell. This organism had the wisdom to put me together and then develop into a creature with a conscious capacity for acting with learned independence in the moment. As long as I prove useful my organism will probably keep me going. It is humbling to realize you are not the final word on who you are or what you may do.

Might sound crazy as hell, but compare it to hypothesis #1. I rest my case.
RE: Why I'm still not a Christian.
[Image: image.jpg]
I'm not a Christian because there is no conclusive argument for Jesus being a God at all. If apologists have to split probabilistic hairs to support Jesus is God then they've already lost.
The same applies to other religions and mumbo.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
I'm no christian because.....well it doesn't make sense.. there is too much contradictions every other god in history pick and choose all of them or one of them and those gods are much better than yaweh.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I find christianity to be laughably ludicrous.
It's premiss is ridiculous. It can serve as a good moral guide only if you ignore most of its laws. I mean have you read Leviticus?

That people can still be Christians in this day and age boggles my mind. It's like finding a Ra worshipper.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I'm not Christian because I find it hard to just ignore the man behind the curtain.
Hypothesis 1: Founded by people who milked camels for fun and lived in tents.

Hypothesis 2: Science. That is all.

I rest MY case.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
I am not a christian because... I like my sanity.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(February 28, 2015 at 6:01 am)Nestor Wrote: Hypothesis 1: Founded by people who milked camels for fun and lived in tents.
[...]

They milked camels for food. For fun - they f***ed them. Ever wondered why all the domesticated camels are trained to lie down? Tongue
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(February 28, 2015 at 6:05 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(February 28, 2015 at 6:01 am)Nestor Wrote: Hypothesis 1: Founded by people who milked camels for fun and lived in tents.
[...]

They milked camels for food. For fun - they f***ed them. Ever wondered why all the domesticated camels are trained to lie down? Tongue

Ever wonder why they're called ships of the desert? Give you a hint: they're filled with Arabian semen.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 1961 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 18530 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 1936 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8153 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1415 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88835 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5582 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2762 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 27711 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why i became a protestant Christian Rispri 34 6637 February 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Lek