Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Westboro Baptist Church Plans To Picket Leonard Nimoy's Funeral
Question 
If you do a quick Google Search. There is a few stories about Westboro Baptist plans on picketing Leonard Nimoy's funeral.

I really want some views on this? Is this "okay" because it's free speech? Is it morally horrible? Or any other comments on it.

Sound off. I really want to hear what you have to say.
RE: Westboro Baptist Church Plans To Picket Leonard Nimoy's Funeral
It's in bad taste like every picketing the Westboros do. I really wished, someone had revenge picketed Phelps' funeral.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Let them picket. Free speech has side-effects, one of which is that we have to sometimes endure people we don't like expressing opinions we disagree with, in a manner that offends us.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I just had a quick look and quite frankly, if they intend to demonstrate at a funeral then that's a morally disgusting abuse of free speech.
It won't be the first or the last funeral they've picketed. I just don't understand the point behind it, save for mindless hate. It's utterly disrespectful to the family, too.

I feel genuinely sorry for members of WBC, though. It must physically hurt to be in that mindset. It looks to me like their thoughts in their entirety have been replaced with mindless hateful slogans, like the ones on their signs. The children indoctrinated into it are my biggest concern.
(March 1, 2015 at 7:35 am)Norman Humann Wrote: I just don't understand the point behind it, save for mindless hate.

That's the whole point of the organisation. Just read what Nate Phelps says about his upbringing.
(March 1, 2015 at 7:41 am)abaris Wrote: That's the whole point of the organisation. Just read what Nate Phelps says about his upbringing.

So this is an organisation that is entirely dedicated to hate. How is it legal?

They're clearly crossing the line between free speech and hate crime. The point of their existence is to offend people.
(March 1, 2015 at 7:44 am)Norman Humann Wrote: So this is an organisation that is entirely dedicated to hate. How is it legal?

They are considered a hate group by many. But look at the KKK, they're not about peace, love and happiness either. Yet they're also protected by free speech.

Even as a European, where the hate speech laws are much stricter than in America, I can say that hate groups always find a way to organise legally. They just have to refrain from openly using certain keywords and symbols.
(March 1, 2015 at 7:50 am)abaris Wrote: Even as a European, where the hate speech laws are much stricter than in America, I can say that hate groups always find a way to organise legally. They just have to refrain from openly using certain keywords and symbols.

That's probably why I don't understand it. I'm Polish and here any ideology even remotely resembling fascism is illegal. I find it hard to believe that people like WBC and KKK can continue what they do and still be protected by the law.
(March 1, 2015 at 7:57 am)Norman Humann Wrote: That's probably why I don't understand it. I'm Polish and here any ideology even remotely resembling fascism is illegal.

And still you have Neo Nazis and skinheads, which I find particularly ironic given your history. Same goes for Russia and Greece by the way, where Neo Nazis seem to be pretty strong.

The whole secret lies in not flying a Swastica and not openly calling for genocide or the killing of individuals.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1239 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4152 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  In Case You Need A Reason To Despise Baptist Scum-suckers Minimalist 93 9211 July 1, 2016 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Queer-Hating Baptist Shitball Blows His Cork Minimalist 26 4405 June 26, 2016 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Picketing the westborough Baptist Church Jacob(smooth) 28 4086 March 2, 2015 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Losty
  Baptist Shitballs Throwing In The Towel Minimalist 8 2128 March 23, 2014 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Funeral Question zebo-the-fat 26 5676 March 14, 2014 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: ronedee
  Southern Baptist BrokenQuill92 15 3459 January 3, 2014 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Belac Enrobso
  John the Baptist DeistPaladin 89 26576 September 26, 2013 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Church update:children's church k2490 15 10515 June 26, 2013 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Rahul