Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Muslims believed earth was spherical long before anybody mentions it.
How Muslims believed earth was spherical long before anybody mentions it.
Hello.

In many cases, history is written by the victors. As I gave human brain the chance to differ above old grudges, it didn't.

The Muslims were the nemesis of the west since the time of the Eastern Roman Empire, it was for two main reasons :

1)Muslims were mainly Arabs : Rome discriminated against Arabs ; and to them native Arab tribes were only frontline pawns used to hit Persia.
2)Muslims weren't Christian.

Aside from "who started it", it is proven historically that Rome butchered Arab tribes who befriended the prophet, and crucified them on the borders of the levant.

Anyhow, that grudge continued until this day, I always asked myself why Europe ignored to refer in its history books, that the Quran is first book to ever mentions directly that earth is round & even padded in its core.

Muslim scholars -since the 12th century- also believed the same thing blindly from the Quran, and again the book told the truth.

First, I will show you the Quranic verses that says that loud & clear :

( 5 ) He created the heavens and earth in truth. He shapes the night over the day in a round-shape, and shapes the day over the night in a round shape, and has subjected the sun and the moon, each running [its course] for a specified term. Unquestionably, He is the Exalted in Might, the Perpetual Forgiver. Page 458

#Verse notes :
1) In translations to English, this verse is translated wrong. The word used is "wraps" which is a forgery & a totally wrong translation.
Arabic wise, the original word is "Yokawer يكور", which means "shapes something in a round way". Ancient Arabs used this word for the turban : "The man Yokawer his turban : wrap it around his head in a round manner".

While the word used by translators "wraps" means in arabic "Yoghshi يغشي", which means literally "covering something, wraps it up", it is a totally different word describing a different action.

Arabic-Arabic translation :
http://www.almaany.com/ar/dict/ar-ar/يكور/

=======================

2)The biggest bomb though, is that through the Islamic world, people believed "blindly" in the verse, and unlike Europe, Muslims believed earth was both round & in a ball shape.

Muslim scholars (who knew nothing about science but from reading the Quran), mentioned it loud & clear in their books, the most famous is "Ibn Timeia" who lived around 1200 AD.

You can find his book online (and IGNORED) here :
http://ar.wikisource.org/wiki/مجموع_الفت...اء_والصفات

He has a whole chapter named "In the telling that earth is spherical shaped" :
http://ar.wikisource.org/wiki/مجموع_الفت...روية_الأرض

I couldn't find an English translation for this ancient book -Of course-, though a simple google translation from Arabic to English would be sufficient.

They even believed in gravity, check it out. The Quran also mentions gravity in other verses.
=====

Aside from this ancient scholar (Ibn Taimeia), other famous Muslims said that throughout the ages, but most of their writings are in arabic and translation is hard, so I brought what I could.

The hypocrisy of history writing just amuses me. There is not even a word of mention to this in European sources..not even 1.
RE: How Muslims believed earth was spherical long before anybody mentions it.
Even if this is true, the ancient Greeks beat them to it.
(March 10, 2015 at 2:54 am)Irrational Wrote: Even if this is true, the ancient Greeks beat them to it.

Ancient greek believed earth was coin-shaped, not spherical with hollow interior (despite what fills the interior ; today we know it's lava & molten metals ; and btw the Quran also shows what interior of earth actually is with a direct reference to gravity).

Ancient greek believed the interior was "the underworld", another hellish dimension. Also believed in the "end of the world" theory, that at the end of the coin, there are no locations to go to.

Saying earth is spherical is a totally different thing. The verse -if you read the topic- says "yokawer = shapes in a spherical/round manner", this is totally not the "coin-like" earth that the greeks believed in.

Not to mention it's a verse. The Muslim scholars didn't "discover it", the prophet told it & Muslims believed it. I guess he didn't go to greece before, unless you want to claim that Mohammed peace be upon him was a scientist.
(March 10, 2015 at 3:02 am)AtlasS2 Wrote:
(March 10, 2015 at 2:54 am)Irrational Wrote: Even if this is true, the ancient Greeks beat them to it.

Ancient greek believed earth was coin-shaped, not spherical with hollow interior (despite what fills the interior ; today we know it's lava & molten metals ; and btw the Quran also shows what interior of earth actually is with a direct reference to gravity).

Ancient greek believed the interior was "the underworld", another hellish dimension. Also believed in the "end of the world" theory, that at the end of the coin, there are no locations to go to.

Have you heard of Eratosthenes? He had to assume a round Earth in order to do his calculations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthene...cumference

Quote:Saying earth is spherical is a totally different thing. The verse -if you read the topic- says "yokawer = shapes in a spherical/round manner", this is totally not the "coin-like" earth that the greeks believed in.

Give me the link to that verse in Arabic. I don't think you've given us the reference yet. What sura and aya is it exactly?
What? Big Grin haha... The Quran was written in 600something, that's a whopping 1000 years after the Greeks have measured the diameter of earth, genius.
Geometry is both older and more precise than your religion, deal with it. We all know that islamic scholars made great contributons to Astronomy, but that was both later and *not because they read it in a fucking holy book* - give them some credit for their hard work! The results of science are much deeper than the superficial babbling you present here.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Looks like we've got another one.
So... if they knew this, what difference does it make to anything?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Figured out which verse the OP is referring to. It's from Surat az-Zumar, verse 5.

Link:
http://quran.com/39

The English translation in the link is sound by the way. But even if the OP's preferred arbitrary translation is more accurate, the verse itself says nothing about the earth being round, only that Allah rolls the night over the day (sort of like how you open wide a scroll). Nothing miraculously scientific about this one.

And to make it worse for the OP, the same verse talks about the the sun running its course for a specified time (in the sky during the daytime, that is). Not at all scientific.

And if the OP does not agree that "youkawwer" can mean "to roll", one of the definitions in the link he provided actually mentions "rolling" as part of the definition:

كَوَّرَ الشيءَ : لفَّه على جهة الاستدارة
Mohammed and the others that helped create the Quran were pig dick ignorant scientifically. 79:30 said god spread the Earth, giving the impression that is was flat.

The idea that Europeans believed the Earth to be flat in medieval times is pure myth. If you honestly care get this book and read it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flat-Earth-Chris...1447272463
(March 10, 2015 at 6:56 am)robvalue Wrote: So... if they knew this, what difference does it make to anything?
They want a Noble Prize for Muhammad's hard work.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Quranic Reflection] : "Joseph; he came to you before with the clear proofs". WinterHold 60 4546 September 22, 2023 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Muslims , please answer this . Enlightened Ape 13 2209 August 13, 2022 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sudan scraps apostasy law and alcohol ban for non-Muslims zebo-the-fat 19 4037 October 14, 2020 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  [Quranic Reflection]: What should Muslims do when the verses of God are made fun of? WinterHold 37 5703 September 9, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Remember]: how the Spanish infedels treated Muslims WinterHold 146 11625 August 8, 2020 at 4:18 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Muslims: If the Koran is Unaltered... chimp3 57 7756 April 21, 2020 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Flat Earth and other scientific errors in the Quran Fake Messiah 4 1111 January 19, 2020 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  For being religious, Muslims sure lie a lot! Jehanne 12 1611 October 20, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Should muslims obey infidel leaders in non islamic countries? Rika82 6 1015 September 13, 2018 at 4:10 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Can muslims even be artists or game developers if imagery is forbidden? Rokan 0 513 August 29, 2018 at 4:14 am
Last Post: Rokan