Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A personal milestone
Rainbow 
A personal milestone
At the time I joined AF nearly four years ago, I was a very active and accomplished recreational scuba diver. In that year, I reached the pinnacle of recreational scuba certification, earning my Master rating. A few short months after that, I suffered a serious health issue - a bilateral pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis (not scuba related) that left me moderately disabled.

I struggled with the prospect of never being able to dive again due to my disability and ongoing health issues.

Today, thanks to the encouragement of an old friend and scuba instructor here in Puerto Vallarta, I got back in the water and did two very successful dives. Those few of you whom I have spoken with privately about my desire to go back in the water know how big of an accomplishment this is.

I still have a long ways to go to be back to my old self, and I may never get there, but today was a good day.
RE: A personal milestone
Congratulations, keep working and don't give up Smile
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Yay CD!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Congrats CD. I'm no diver, but I do love to hike the back country in the Rockies. I can only imagine what it would be like to not be able to due to health reasons.

Fantastic news!
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Good for you, CD!!!

That's so fantastic!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Congratulations and may you have many more dives to come!
That is awesome, well done my friend Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Fucking rad dude!
Awesome. I'm well aware of the feeling of having to rebuild a life and the challenges that come from that, so believe me when I say you should be proud of yourself.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 12, 2015 at 4:37 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: At the time I joined AF nearly four years ago, I was a very active and accomplished recreational scuba diver. In that year, I reached the pinnacle of recreational scuba certification, earning my Master rating. A few short months after that, I suffered a serious health issue - a bilateral pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis (not scuba related) that left me moderately disabled.

I struggled with the prospect of never being able to dive again due to my disability and ongoing health issues.

Today, thanks to the encouragement of an old friend and scuba instructor here in Puerto Vallarta, I got back in the water and did two very successful dives. Those few of you whom I have spoken with privately about my desire to go back in the water know how big of an accomplishment this is.

I still have a long ways to go to be back to my old self, and I may never get there, but today was a good day.

That is wonderful. I am so happy for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your personal decision Foxaèr 7 848 February 21, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Headaches and your Personal Experience. Disagreeable 26 884 February 11, 2022 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Duty
Bug Is your personal web site malicious? JohnMBauer 8 696 May 24, 2020 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Succubus#2
  An A.F. Milestone! chimp3 2 420 May 24, 2019 at 11:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Advice on a personal matter Sterben 39 4016 April 7, 2017 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Sterben
  post pic of your workspace/pc area/personal lair Marsellus Wallace 33 5040 September 2, 2015 at 4:38 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  New personal rule... Iroscato 17 3321 July 19, 2015 at 6:24 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why I don't approach on a more personal level Foxaèr 12 2048 May 27, 2015 at 10:22 am
Last Post: JuliaL
  The "strike" and my personal opinion Foxaèr 36 5172 April 16, 2015 at 2:27 am
Last Post: DeadChannel
  Personal note DeistPaladin 14 1918 January 20, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist