Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your personal decision
Your personal decision
A hypothetical scenario (though not really, since I just saw it on a show):

For whatever reason, either you force your minor child to live at home with your presence s/he cannot mentally bear or you have to live elsewhere, for an indeterminate amount of time, until perhaps your child eventually is ready to have you back at home.

You can only choose one or the other. There is no family therapy in this universe.

A: stay at home
B: leave your home

Which do you choose, and explain.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Your personal decision
I would leave, no question about it. The welfare of a child should be of paramount importance. To stay and continue to damage the child's well-being would be abusive.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Adversity builds character. Getting what you want isn't always the best thing.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
You forgot C: the child leaves your home

I can't live with my child, he's a pig.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 21, 2023 at 9:21 am)Angrboda Wrote:

Adversity builds character.  Getting what you want isn't always the best thing.

Adversity - sometimes - also breeds sociopaths.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 21, 2023 at 12:51 am)Tomato Wrote: A hypothetical scenario (though not really, since I just saw it on a show):

For whatever reason, either you force your minor child to live at home with your presence s/he cannot mentally bear or you have to live elsewhere, for an indeterminate amount of time, until perhaps your child eventually is ready to have you back at home.

You can only choose one or the other. There is no family therapy in this universe.

It depends.

If it's because I am being emotionally (or otherwise) abusive to that child, then the moral thing would be to have me leave my home and live elsewhere. In this case, chances are I am a lost cause and no amount of insight/understanding is going to make me a better person, so staying with the child would just continue to cause them harm. That said, since I am lacking empathy big time in this scenario, I would need someone else to drag me out of my home as I most likely would not opt to do so myself.

If it's for some reason that has nothing to do with me being abusive, but they nevertheless cannot mentally bear me, I don't know what the more moral option is here. I would hope that if there is any chance of immediate reconciliation between me and my child, then leaving would ultimately cause more harm than good. Plus, a child does need the support of adults after all. If not me (or the other parent, if they exist), then who would take care of the child in my absence? And would they do a better job?
How about you both leave. Send the kid to live with relatives elsewhere. Sell your current home, buy a lot of crack and have a mental holiday.
(February 21, 2023 at 1:03 pm)GrandizerII Wrote:
(February 21, 2023 at 12:51 am)Tomato Wrote: A hypothetical scenario (though not really, since I just saw it on a show):

It depends.

If it's because I am being emotionally (or otherwise) abusive to that child, then the moral thing would be to have me leave my home and live elsewhere. In this case, chances are I am a lost cause and no amount of insight/understanding is going to make me a better person, so staying with the child would just continue to cause them harm. That said, since I am lacking empathy big time in this scenario, I would need someone else to drag me out of my home as I most likely would not opt to do so myself.

If it's for some reason that has nothing to do with me being abusive, but they nevertheless cannot mentally bear me, I don't know what the more moral option is here. I would hope that if there is any chance of immediate reconciliation between me and my child, then leaving would ultimately cause more harm than good. Plus, a child does need the support of adults after all. If not me (or the other parent, if they exist), then who would take care of the child in my absence? And would they do a better job?

All fair points. The hypothetical can't be fully answered without more details.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headaches and your Personal Experience. Disagreeable 26 877 February 11, 2022 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Duty
Bug Is your personal web site malicious? JohnMBauer 8 684 May 24, 2020 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Succubus#2
  Advice on a personal matter Sterben 39 3997 April 7, 2017 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Sterben
  Made a decision and other news Joods 9 1584 November 30, 2016 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Joods
  post pic of your workspace/pc area/personal lair Marsellus Wallace 33 4980 September 2, 2015 at 4:38 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  New personal rule... Iroscato 17 3304 July 19, 2015 at 6:24 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why I don't approach on a more personal level Foxaèr 12 2043 May 27, 2015 at 10:22 am
Last Post: JuliaL
  The "strike" and my personal opinion Foxaèr 36 5158 April 16, 2015 at 2:27 am
Last Post: DeadChannel
Rainbow A personal milestone Jackalope 30 4356 March 14, 2015 at 2:03 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Personal note DeistPaladin 14 1915 January 20, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist